Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one dirt pedal?

Al Krow

Thanks mcnach.

I'm actually a little relieved to be hearing that the Spark isn't necessarily the promised land - given ALL the positive press its been getting recently! After your first post on it above I was about to hit the order button, but fortunately I saw your other posts  too :) 

I completely agree that there is a broader point to be aware of about basses, pups and their interaction with drive. Using my Yammy BB P/J set up to illustrate:

I'm finding that the thump / thud of the P pups actually works well with DG type pedals (e.g. VMT , B3K) where the top end fizziness of the drive is tamed by the P pup and the flip side is good sustain and bite, whereas with J pups the DG VMT and B3K, are just too toppy (for me anyway!)

With more 'meaty-growl' pedals (e.g. Grizzly Bass) the opposite is true: the drive sputters pretty quickly with P pups like a dying battery, whereas with J pups it sounds great - again with good sustain and bite.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Picking up on the above, and also only owning it for a day, i can understand the comment about the P bass. my Fender P sounded a bit muddy, BUT my P34 sounded noticeably clearer with just the neck pup. I find this to be true between the two basses anyway, so its not really a comment on the pedal itself, plus the P34 has the ability to dial in a bit more bite from the bridge pup.

Ive also found this to be true using the Mojomojo. It just didnt work for me using my Fender, a bit too warm sounding.

So yeah, works with some but not all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks mcnach.

I'm actually a little relieved to be hearing that the Spark isn't necessarily the promised land - given ALL the positive press its been getting recently! After your first post on it above I was about to hit the order button, but fortunately I saw your other posts  too :) 

I completely agree that there is a broader point to be aware of about basses, pups and their interaction with drive. Using my Yammy BB P/J set up to illustrate:

I'm finding that the thump / thud of the P pups actually works well with DG type pedals (e.g. VMT , B3K) where the top end fizziness of the drive is tamed by the P pup and the flip side is good sustain and bite, whereas with J pups the DG VMT and B3K, are just too toppy (for me anyway!)

With more 'meaty-growl' pedals (e.g. Grizzly Bass) the opposite is true: the drive sputters pretty quickly with P pups like a dying battery, whereas with J pups it sounds great - again with good sustain and bite.

But you know how it is, NO pedal is the promised land, ever. :)

In case I was misunderstood: I like the Spark Booster, a lot. It does what it does very well, which is keep the existing tone and add some grit/thickness. It reminds me of the sounds I was getting out of a DHA VT-2 tube preamp thingy I used to have, but I think I like this better.

Some distortion pedals just seem to make your bass sound the same, more or less, regardless which bass you use. The Spark Booster does not. I would not call it a distortion/overdrive pedal either, but you know what I mean... I hope.

If you are interested in that kind of low gain fat a-bit-tubey-like kind of sound, really, do give the Spark Booster a try. It's nicer/smoother than a Xotic BB for that kind of thing, if that comparison helps. On my'rock' board I generally have 3 dirt pedals: a low gain one, a mid one (currently EBS multidrive), and a crazy one (currently Ibanez PD7 Phat-Hed or SA Aftershock). I've used a bunch of different pedals for the low gain one and the Spark Booster is the one that I think will work best of them. My current one is the Caline Orange Burst, which loses a bit of low end but gets closest to what I have in mind. The Spark Booster is more versatile and the bottom end is very adjustable so you can get it just right. Of course, the real test will come at a gig/rehearsals... but there's so much scope either way that I can't imagine it'll be lacking or difficult to set there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Picking up on the above, and also only owning it for a day, i can understand the comment about the P bass. my Fender P sounded a bit muddy, BUT my P34 sounded noticeably clearer with just the neck pup. I find this to be true between the two basses anyway, so its not really a comment on the pedal itself, plus the P34 has the ability to dial in a bit more bite from the bridge pup.

Ive also found this to be true using the Mojomojo. It just didnt work for me using my Fender, a bit too warm sounding.

So yeah, works with some but not all.

Exactly.

My Precision just generally doesn't give me the sound I want, with overdrive... except when I turn the tone control all the way down for that very thick type of overdriven bass, and I need to tame the lowest frequencies to get it right or it gets a bit overpowering. Commenting on that in the same sentence as talking about the Spark Booster was a bit unfair, as it's not an issue with the pedal. The pedal is super transparent, as far as I can tell, so it won't 'fix' a slightly boomy bass sound like some other overdrives do that remove low frequencies to some degree and compress the rest.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mcnach said:

In case I was misunderstood: I like the Spark Booster, a lot. It does what it does very well, which is keep the existing tone and add some grit/thickness. It reminds me of the sounds I was getting out of a DHA VT-2 tube preamp thingy I used to have, but I think I like this better...

Be also interested to see what @dave_bass5 makes of it when he's had it for a couple of weeks as he and I both have Yammy Pro basses - in particular whether it's significantly better than Mojomojo. I had the MM a couple of years back and it's definitely great value, but probably a "7/10" pedal over all - perhaps a touch too muddy / dark for my liking. The Spark seems, from comments, so far to address both of those?

Given the recent half a dozen purchases of the Spark over the past week or so, there may even be a couple coming up used :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Be also interested to see what @dave_bass5 makes of it when he's had it for a couple of weeks as he and I both have Yammy Pro basses - in particular whether it's significantly better than Mojomojo. I had the MM a couple of years back and it's definitely great value, but probably a "7/10" pedal over all - perhaps a touch too muddy / dark for my liking. The Spark seems, from comments, so far to address both of those?

Given the recent half a dozen purchases of the Spark over the past week or so, there may even be a couple coming up used :)

Got a rehearsal tonight so ill report back. I am optimistic that it will be better than the MM, which i'd say is warmer and a bit darker, but id still like a blend knob on it. There is just something about the P34 that i love without any effect and i feel both the MM ad SB take some of that way. Less so with the SB though so i think its a keeper for now.

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I didn't like the Mojo Mojo, I had one for about 2 weeks. But I was after dirtier sounds at the time.

• Like 1

The low gain drive sounds are almost identical between the Mojomojo and Spark, just the Mojomojo is way fatter and darker (boost in the lows and low mids, treble and high mids rolled off), the Spark has more clarity (i.e. top end) and transparency (i.e. it's pretty flat with the EQ at noon on 'clean' mode, a mode which still has plenty of drive on tap btw!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

I didn't like the Mojo Mojo, I had one for about 2 weeks. But I was after dirtier sounds at the time.

This is what happened to me when i got my MM. used it once at a rehearsal and put it away. At the time i wasn't sure what i was looking for, but it wasn't that. I kept it because i know my tastes change. Now im happy to use it but i dont expect i will now i have the SB.

Just back from rehearsals, and the SB is a keeper (for now anyway). Just the right amount of tone change, and i was surprised that i used the Mid setting as well as the Fat setting. 

Nice warm break up, or nastier dirt with ease. I suppose its not the best out there,  but much more versatile for me over the Mojomojo. 

Very happy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just back from rehearsals, and the SB is a keeper (for now anyway). Just the right amount of tone change, and i was surprised that i used the Mid setting as well as the Fat setting. 

Nice warm break up, or nastier dirt with ease. I suppose its not the best out there,  but much more versatile for me over the Mojomojo. 

Very happy.

I only used it at home so far... and I keep switching between fat and mid mode. I think fat is the one for me... but often, mixed with the band, I find that I need a bit more on the mids than I think I need at home... so I don't know what it'll be like 'in real life'. Unfortunately my 'rocky' band won't meet for a while now

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Very happy.

Any loss of low end, Dave? 

31 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I only used it at home so far... and I keep switching between fat and mid mode. I think fat is the one for me... but often, mixed with the band, I find that I need a bit more on the mids than I think I need at home... so I don't know what it'll be like 'in real life'. Unfortunately my 'rocky' band won't meet for a while now

Last night i was using my BH800 head a big old 2x12, which had hardly any top end and a  rattle on some low notes, so the Mid setting had more clarity. To my ears (and i have used this cab before) the Fat setting was a lot closer to the Mojomojo, at least in warmth and saturation, but i found turning the Treble up had a more noticeable effect compared to doing the same with the MM.

I even found i used it as an always on for a few songs, so very happy to have got this for such a small outlay.

• Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

Any loss of low end, Dave? 

Yes, but not in a suddenly sounded weak sort of way. To my ears (and see above the gear i was using), it became smoother, lost a bit of low mid punch which is what i love about the P34, but useable as it never dropped below the volume i was at before engaging it. I had the Bass and Treble turned up very slightly, Drive on about 11 o'clock and Level about 10 o'clock. Engaging the pedal gave a bit of a spread to the tone but never made the low end sound a bit empty, and this filled out the low end nicely when my guitarist was soloing etc. 

Im not up on all the other OD's etc, so can only really comment on what i have, and have used, but this one seems to just work as i expected it to, without the need to keep tweaking it. No darkening of the tone like the DG pedals, no Sansamp scoop (which i have depended on for years), no fizz (although that was probably masked by the cab), just a nice warm break up.

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Yes, but not in a suddenly sounded weak sort of way. To my ears (and see above the gear i was using), it became smoother, lost a bit of low mid punch which is what i love about the P34, but useable as it never dropped below the volume i was at before engaging it. I had the Bass and Treble turned up very slightly, Drive on about 11 o'clock and Level about 10 o'clock. Engaging the pedal gave a bit of a spread to the tone but never made the low end sound a bit empty, and this filled out the low end nicely when my guitarist was soloing etc. 

Im not up on all the other OD's etc, so can only really comment on what i have, and have used, but this one seems to just work as i expected it to, without the need to keep tweaking it. No darkening of the tone like the DG pedals, no Sansamp scoop (which i have depended on for years), no fizz (although that was probably masked by the cab), just a nice warm break up.

Looking forward to doing a shoot out with my Grizzly Bass at some point soon then. That thing doesn't lose ANY low end at all! (But costs 5x the price of the SB - so no question which is the better value pedal!)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Looking forward to doing a shoot out with my Grizzly Bass at some point soon then. That thing doesn't lose ANY low end at all! (But costs 5x the price of the SB - so no question which is the better value pedal!)

Im not sure if im losing any low end as such, and it can be put back, but it definitely loses a bit of punch, but then what doesn't when using something without a blend.

Ill bring it over, and the COG, when i get back off holiday.

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Grizzly Bass

Hmmmm, i dont believe you have used this in a band situation though. Apologies if i have that wrong.This is where it really matter IMO. And im not talking about low end, as much as overall character.

Still, i hear very good things about this box.

Edited by dave_bass5

It’s unlikely to lose low end as by all accounts it’s more than likely changing the curve to boost the lows and it’s linked to a compression circuit, heavily compressing the lows allowing them to become more prevalent as well as cutting highs. Seems to share a lot of real estate withe the MK4.23 as well as the afore mentioned Holy Fire

• Like 1

Plenty of pedals out there without a blend that do not drop lows. Blueberry, Mojomojo, Beta, Blower Box for starters!

I find with the Mojomojo I have to raise the treble up to 3 o'clock, it still doesn't sound bright, but it does remove the murkiness.

I'd choose the Spark over the Grizzly even if the prices were reversed. You might like it Al. Then again you might not!

5 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I'd choose the Spark over the Grizzly even if the prices were reversed. You might like it Al. Then again you might not!

Yup - we know you're no more a fan of the Grizzly than I am of scooped fizzy dirt pedals! 😉

However we do both think Yammy BB1025/Xs are the business!

The Spark is getting a LOT of love and does seem worth a try for anyone looking for a dirt - and it's clearly good value.

4 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Plenty of pedals out there without a blend that do not drop lows. Blueberry, Mojomojo, Beta, Blower Box for starters!

I find with the Mojomojo I have to raise the treble up to 3 o'clock, it still doesn't sound bright, but it does remove the murkiness.

if this is in relation to my earlier comments, just bare in mind i wasn't talking about the lows, but more the overall tone of the bass.