Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one dirt pedal?

Al Krow

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’d also love to get the B3n’s 042 patch, but this includes the DG B7K effect, and I’m not buying one of those. 

042 = "Dark Crunch" 

I'll need to check that out and you've set us both a challenge to see how close to that or whether we can improve upon with the Aftershock via the software editor!

Yeah, thats the patch. Very simple but needs a B7K by the looks of it. I only really need it for one song, hence i cant justify buying the B7K. the obvious answer is to use the B3n but it wont fit on my board, and having it separate defeats the idea of having it all in one place.

I've just checked the Zoom MS-60B v2 effects list and it doesn't include a B7K sim, so that isn't going to be an alternative for you. But I suspect we should be able to get pretty close (and indistinguishable in the mix) with the Aftershock...

40 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've just checked the Zoom MS-60B v2 effects list and it doesn't include a B7K sim, so that isn't going to be an alternative for you. But I suspect we should be able to get pretty close (and indistinguishable in the mix) with the Aftershock...

Yeah, the AS can definitely get close. Even the default high gain is close enough, and with a bit of tweaking in the EQ section im sure it will do. Im not going to worry about that for now though, im just going to keep on with the cheap pedals until i find something that i dont even have in my head yet lol. Ill know it when i find it though.

I already have the OJ, and i like it, but its not quite what i want at the moment.

I think I’m now sorted (yeah, yeah). The Joyo UD arrived and from the moment i plugged it in i had a huge smile on my face. This is the one i think I’m looking this week lol.

Whether ill use it much is debatable, its more lively than I’m used to, but it is the tone ive been wanting without spending silly money. I plan to use it for Come together. I want to try and get a Maralyin Manson feel to the bass line. The B3n patch gets me there, and now i have it from my board. If its on the board i will use it though. 

It’s not doing anything the AS could probably do, but its way ahead compared to the Mojomojo. It’s a lot of OD, even on a very low setting, but its just doing what i wanted it to do. Very powerful, easily gets thats that B3n tone I was looking for. Ive got the Mojomojo and UD on my board and switching between them i can see i have no use for the MJMJ anymore,.

To my untrained ears the MJMJ sounds warmer, and fuller, but the drive seems to sound like something thats  being overdriven when it shouldn’t be. The UD on the other hand is hardly altering my tone, but adding an obvious OD to it. I guess this is what ive been looking for. It sounds more full on. I suppose I’ve been looking for the wrong pedals recently. Liking the tone of the B7K should have shown me that overdriven tube was not what i was looking for, but a proper OD instead. I know the UD doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the B7K, not even the old version, but it just seems to work well with my BDDI in front of it. 

This is all on headphones so far (in to a bypassed patch on my sons G1on), but as thats how I’m using my gear at home its still a good indication of how things sound. Back in the studio next month so hopefully ill have got things settled on the board. For now i see no need to spend any more money. 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2018 at 00:19, mcnach said:

It was not noticeable when I used one. I only stopped using it because altering the gain a bit changed the volume a lot, so it was hard to make quick adjustments live. Nice sounding pedal, and very versatile. I also had the Vintage Drive... that one was bad for bass loss, which is a shame as it sounded very nice. BUt it's good for guitar

Isn't the UD based on the OCD circuit? 

18 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

If you like the OCD sound but want more low end than the UD and a clean blend, I have a COG Mini 66 for sale!

I must admit i am very tempted, but having just brought a Mojomojo and UD i don't think i can justify another at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Image result for zvex mastotron

Just spent 10 mins having a play with the Mastotron gated fuzz that's arrived this evening (s/h via eBay) to make sure it's in good working order. It's been getting a LOT of praise from some of the the filter and synth boys and I was obviously interested to see what all the fuss was about. 

OH MY!!...That is one dirty pedal. Put the "subs" setting at 3 and you have something that you can actually feel being wickedly down and dirty! 

Following hard on the heels of the outperforming Valeton OC-10 (which I've decided is the world's best kept secret in terms of octavers!) this is turning out to be a bit of purple patch week for me on the pedal front :) 

Edited by Al Krow

21 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Image result for zvex mastotron

Just spent 10 mins having a play with the Mastotron gated fuzz that's arrived this evening (s/h via eBay) to make sure it's in good working order. It's been getting a LOT of praise from some of the the filter and synth boys and I was obviously interested to see what all the fuss was about. 

OH MY!!...That is one dirty pedal. Put the "subs" setting at 3 and you have something that you can actually feel being wickedly down and dirty! 

Following hard on the heels of the outperforming Valeton OC-10 (which I've decided is the world's best kept secret in terms of octavers!) this is turning out to be a bit of purple patch week for me on the pedal front :) 

I recently got the valenton OC-10 as well.

Amazing little thing for the price, and sooo damn close to my old boss oc2 and feels very well built

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

I recently got the Valeton OC-10 as well.

Amazing little thing for the price, and sooo damn close to my old boss oc2 and feels very well built

That sums the Valeton OC-10 up perfectly! I think you and me need to get the word out!

I like the Boss MT-2, for me it keeps the low end up pretty good. Some people think its just for Heavy Metal not true. If you just spend sometime with it  and tweak it , you can get some good sounds. Myself I am not a big fan of the Boss new Bass overdrive can't remember the name.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:31, Al Krow said:

That sums the Valeton OC-10 up perfectly! I think you and me need to get the word out!

The word is out Al. I've just picked one up for £40 to go on my experimental board. Trying to get sounds I like from a bunch of cheap pedals which is fun.

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

The word is out Al. I've just picked one up for £40 to go on my experimental board. Trying to get sounds I like from a bunch of cheap pedals which is fun.

Excellent - do let us know what you think of it when you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

PS am I right in thinking that you also recently got the best value pedal (bar none!) in the market today - the Zoom MS-60B? If so, make sure to download https://tonelib.net/ which makes creating editing patches both fun and very straightforward.

Edited by Al Krow

6 hours ago, prowla said:

I tried out a Darkglass Microtubes B7K V2 Analog yesterday; it came pretty close to the sound I've been imagining in my head: some extra growl/bite rather than a comb & loo roll.

It is £289, though...

250070-darkglass_electronics-b7kv2-left_

https://www.andertons.co.uk/darkglass/darkglass-microtubes-b7k-v2-analog-bass-preamp-cmos-drive-eq-pedal-with-di

Get a B3n, the Dark Pre sounds very close!

(Or buy my B3K!)

On 25/07/2018 at 17:13, dannybuoy said:

If you like the OCD sound but want more low end than the UD and a clean blend, I have a COG Mini 66 for sale!

Based on this one comment i went and ordered a COG Knightfall 66. As much as the mini appealed to me i love the idea of the two switchable Gain/level stages. It should arrive this week. 

I've never been a fan of the modern types of smooth but high-gain distortion (Darkglass, Pike et al). I'm much more of a fan of the spitty/spluttery end of things. Dirty dirt. I noticed a Harmonic Percolator in the classifieds... Hmmm. No idea how close to the InterFax sound it gets - and of course the originals were gooped, so some of the clones are just best guesses - but those a proper nasty. For a basic soft-clip overdrive sound that doesn't get lost in the mix, I've yet to find anything that beats a Pork Loin.  For really gnarly stuff, I run it into a Turbo Rat with the Reutz mod to fix the bass cut, and the filter dimed. Not perfect but definitelyh the right ballpark.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

QqSRBQX.jpg

I'm not typically much of an overdrive user but I do think every bassist should have something to hand to add that drive if you need it. 

The other week, I found my old Digitech Bass Driver in my spare room cupboard whilst I was cleaning it out. Bloody hell, that thing is the worst pedal I have ever heard and mercifully, it crapped out after about five minutes. I haven't checked since to see if it was just a bad battery. 

An old friend of mine in America very kindly saw a Facebook post of mine and offered to send me his Darkglass B3K free of charge since he had upgraded to a B7K. I've been getting grips with it this week and it's a really impressive bit of kit. It makes a really rich and natural sound. I prefer a mild helping of grit rather than full on distortion but there is plenty of both on hand. I've found it reacts better to my passive Cort Rithimic than my active Bogart Blackstone though I'll readily admit I need to spend a lot more time playing with it to learn how to really use it (and I should also plug it into my PJB Big Head some time, to see what it's like through headphones and a modelled preamp). 

My brother came round with his Yamaha Attitude bass the other day. It's modded with Lace Sensor pickups and sounds absolutely riotous. A rock-monster bass if there ever was one. It took the sound of the Darkglass to a new level. 

• Like 1