Why become a member? ×

Falling in love again

pbasspecial

Over the last couple of years I have gone down the lightweight, class D route, firstly with an Orange Terror and then a Mark Bass Randy Jackson TTE500. They are great but always felt something was missing.  So the other night I thought it would be interesting to take my old, heavy Crate BT-350 amp (Ampeg in disguise - made in the same factory, same parts, etc) that I've had from new for over 25 years.

wow, what a tone.  Real bottom end and a beautiful glassy mid range to boot.  Really felt that the amp had massive authority in the rehearsal room.  Felt like being the worlds greatest centre back!

Weighs over 3 times as much as the others but I think it's worth it!

Anybody else out there in BC world that maybe going backwards is the really the way forward?

Yup,

Had an Aguilar AG500 which, while not as light add the current crop of class D lightweight heads (class "T" so still a switching amplifier like class D but with a toroidal transformer) was still much lighter than any amp has its owned before.

Beautiful, clear, sweet tone..... but.

The music I play doesn't call for much in the way of subtlety - I'm looking more to pin the punters to the back wall and rearrange their internal organs!

I now have a Trace Elliot AH350SMX and an Ashdown ABM500 (which is my currently main amp) and I'm more than happy to have traded the surgical scalpel of the Aguilar for these two sledgehammers (and they can still both be carried comfortably from the car into a venue one handed).

Yep, had many of the Class D amps, Aguilar, Ampeg, Markbass, TC Electronic etc, and a good range of lightweight cabs, Barefaced, Schroeders etc. All great bits of kit, but I noticed that the amps that made me smile most when using them as provided rigs were Ashdowns, there was a real slam/authority to the sound that the lighter gear, to me, didn`t have. So I now have an ABM600 EVO-IV with an ABM410, with an ABM210 on the way (picking that up next weekend). I do have a smaller Ashdown RM-500-EVO for rehearsals and as a backup, and this is probably the nearest to big sound that I`ve found in a small amp.

I'm still happy with my lightweight (Markbass LM2 and Barefaced Compact) rig. When i have heard it used by other bassists I have been astounded by the sheer tonal authority coming out of such a small and light package.

After twenty years of humping around a Trace Elliot stack, this pleases me greatly! :D