Why become a member? ×

Steam punk bass

simes

Specs are:

Neck sourced ready made from China, headstock reshaped from Fenderish shape.

Body made from scrap pine

Warman humbucker P/U with coil tap switch

Bicycle gear centre piece

Gauge made from old torch

Chrome nut - tone

Black cooker knob - volume

Various bits of metal, wire and brake pipe

Brass tag is my late grandfathers pit safety check.

Bridge hand made as one from China was rubbish

All metal parts polished but preserving the patina then clear coated with humbrol clear lacquer

made as a bit of fun but it is a fully functional bass, not gigged yet but done a few rehearsal with it.

Thank you Barking, my mate has made a few guitars now this was his first bass. He tries to use as much second hand reclaimed materials as possible. He's very much a make do and mend kind of guy plus he's very talented.

He buys necks ready made from China as it is cheaper than buying the wood to make one from scratch but he's made the jigs and is going to give it a go once he has sourced some reclaimed suitable wood.

2 hours ago, simes said:

Thank you Barking, my mate has made a few guitars now this was his first bass. He tries to use as much second hand reclaimed materials as possible. He's very much a make do and mend kind of guy plus he's very talented.

He buys necks ready made from China as it is cheaper than buying the wood to make one from scratch but he's made the jigs and is going to give it a go once he has sourced some reclaimed suitable wood.

ya never know simes, he might get some business here!  You gonna use it for gigging?  You'd certainly draw attention away from the singer or lead guitarist

Edited by Barking Spiders

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

ya never know simes, he might get some business here!  You gonna use it for gigging?  You'd certainly draw attention away from the singer or lead guitarist

Definitely going to use it next gig in Jan, I'm not a stand at the back kind of player anyway, like to be up front throwing some shapes and doing a bit of dad dancing.