Why become a member? ×

Amp choice help

Bridgehouse

I've developed a method for my gigging.. I'm finding I get the best mix of sounds if I use either a DI/Preamp pedal or Helix DI to front of house, with an amp and cab for monitoring.

Usually I use my EICH T-1000 either into the Vanderkley or barefaced cab. 

For backup I have a Markbass LM III, but I know that the fx loop is before the Preamp. So, I would like to either swap it or sell it and then get a similar spec'd amp (500+ watts) with power amp in (FX return directly into power amp) 

I could get a poweramp but I don't want to go rackmount and I want to keep the size and weight down. Budget in the 4-500 quid new, and less used range.

Looked at the Peavey Minimax, Hartke 600w job, and a few others.

Suggestions from the crowd?

Edited by Bridgehouse

The Genzler Magellan 800 fx loop return goes directly into the power amp according the manual. I've been gigging mine for several months now and can't fault it, more of my thoughts about it here. 

Edit, I missed your budget of £4-500 xD In that case I'd suggest the Magellan 350, I've got one of those too and it has more power than you're ever likely to need on a typical pub/club type gig. 

Edited by Osiris

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

I'm slightly concerned that the Mag 350 into my 8ohm Barefaced might be a touch quiet, but I don't know. 

I've only ever gigged mine with my 4 ohm 2x12 but even in the rehearsal room with my 8 ohm 1x12 it has never lacked for volume, and that's with a 5 piece band including drums, keys and guitar. I guess it depends on the situation you want to use it in? Unless you're doing anything at extreme volume I think it ought to fine particularly with a Barefaced cab which are notoriously efficient. 

5 minutes ago, Osiris said:

I've only ever gigged mine with my 4 ohm 2x12 but even in the rehearsal room with my 8 ohm 1x12 it has never lacked for volume, and that's with a 5 piece band including drums, keys and guitar. I guess it depends on the situation you want to use it in? Unless you're doing anything at extreme volume I think it ought to fine particularly with a Barefaced cab which are notoriously efficient. 

5 piece. Drums, bass, guitar, keys and singer who usually plays acoustic - so yeah. For monitoring it should be fine. 

I notice the 350 has an aux in (not FX return) - is it's volume controlled by the master volume?

I sometimes feel like a stuck record but, as ever, GSS have a great answer in their Sumo power amps. 600 or 1000w, both under budget new and both about the size of a big DI box.

Edited by Jack
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jack said:

I sometimes feel like a stuck record but, as ever, GSS have a great answer in their Sumo power amps. 600 or 1000w, both under budget new and both about the size of a big DI box.

Well I'm glad you have been a stuck record cos I totally missed these and they do look rather tasty... I'm off for a proper read up now.

11 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I notice the 350 has an aux in (not FX return) - is it's volume controlled by the master volume?

You're right, there's no fx loop on the 350, only an aux in. I don't use fx loops so I hadn't even noticed! As to whether it is controlled by the master volume I don't know, I'll try and have a look over the weekend if I get a chance. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2017 at 20:38, Bridgehouse said:

I've just plugged a bass (via a pre-amp) into the Magellan 350 aux input and can confirm that it is indeed controlled by the master volume. Is that what you're hoping it would do?