Why become a member? ×

Mesa boogie advice!

dudi8

23 minutes ago, thodrik said:

The set up you have already should be fine. I would at least try the D800 to compare with the Big Bang before buying. 

Both are great amps, so you can't really go wrong.

its just an annoying feeling that i have to pair a mesa sound to the cab, amp or preamp (O.C.D) :)

May also be worth you checking out the D800+? (This is from the 'best 500W to 1000W amp' thread):

On 09/11/2017 at 20:54, mcnach said:

[Al Krow']
The EQ on the D800+ does look amazing and it's clearly a step up from the D800 (which is reflected in the D800 being 20% cheaper). But does the D800 series come anywhere close to capturing the gorgeous Mesa 'sound' epitomised by their MX-Carbine series? If it does, then this model (together with the Trickfish Bulhead 1K and Genzler Magellan 800) definitely needs to be added to a 'best of' shortlist.
[/quote]

I'm not familiar with the Carbine amps, but over at TalkBass some seem to think it gets close enough.
The D800 is a little 'dark' by default. The D800+ has a bright switch that I always have engaged. I find it sounds nicer if I end up cutting some high end either at my bass or amp's EQ than trying to boost things using the D800. I've had many positive comments from sound people while using the D800+, both DI'd and when using the Barefaced Two10 cabs. Our trombone player loves bass and the first time I showed up with the D800+ plus Two10s he kept looking back at the amp and at one point he was playing with his back to the audience right in front of my amp, immersed in bass and looking happy :lol: He was later asking me what I did different to other times because he was absolutely loving the bass :) (He's very experienced, been around in many bands since the early 80s. He was in the Dexys Midnight Runners back in the day and has stayed playing live since... so he's heard his share of bass amps)

On 11/18/2017 at 11:19, Al Krow said:

May also be worth you checking out the D800+? (This is from the 'best 500W to 1000W amp' thread):

I'm confused... my comments were based on my experience of a D800 I borrowed and a D800+ that I own: I already own a D800+! :)

edit: I see, the comment wasn't for me! As you were... ;)

Edited by mcnach