Why become a member? ×

Really small combo/cab+amp

albinokiller

Hi

I'm looking for really small combo or cabinet+amp combination but it would be really nice if there would be enough "sound" in it.

I was thinking about AER amp One/Three or maybe Barefaced One10+amp. I've tried Tecamp Puma 112 combo, and it is great and light but I need something even smaller.

Please help :D

Thx ;)

You're on the right track in my opinion with the Barefaced one10.  I use mine with a GK MB200 and it's excellent, and surprisingly loud.  Easily loud enough for a small pub gig with drums, guitar etc.

I briefly had an AER amp one and while they are amazing little things, the one10 and a decent amp is at least as good as the AER amp one and probably half the cost.  (And lighter.)

Frank.

24 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Doesn't get much smaller than Phil Jones, 5" speakers in most of their combos

I have PJ 6pack and played on BG300 and it isn't something I was looking for.

Problem is I don't have chance to try Barefaced one10 cab or AER combo or anything similar - I'll just have to buy something and hope it'll be good/loud enough. That's why I need someone elses opinion :)

A Fender Rumble 100W combo isn't big or heavy (less than 10kg), but is surprisingly loud if you find yourself unexpectedly needing more beans. I had the 500W version for a while and it was arse-shatteringly loud, even though technically 'only' 350W without an extension cab. Great sound, too.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_rumble_100.htm

Edited by discreet

The PJB Doublefour is probably as small as you'll get. Only 75 watts. It's tiny, like a shoebox!  I like mine but only use it at home and it's the easiest thing to take anywhere. 

I think @ambient was using one, worth asking his opinion if he was gigging with it. 

I had a Markbass CMD121p for a while. Again small for its volume and not heavy. 

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The Markbass CMD121P is small and light, and has a surprising amount of sound for its size.

The Markbass is a good shout, but then boils down to budget? The Fender Rumble and the Promethean will be at the more affordable end, both new and second hand; the Markbass at the next level up in terms of pricing. No doubt for me, having had both the Promethean and (albeit a different 1x12) Markbass combos, that you get what you pay for with these two but they are both really good at their respective price points IMHO.

Depends what it's for. I think the Roland Cube Bass RX is a great little amp for practicing and just having around in the lounge - I probably wouldn't use it with a drummer but because it's batt powered you can even have a noodle in the garden on sunny days. Personally I think it also sounds great and has lots of built in effects that are also pretty decent.

I need it for small gigs with disciplined drummer and two "normal" guitarists. Problem is we are going to gigs in one car with no spare space in it and I have to find something that is small and loud enough. That is why I was thinking of AER amp One. I know it is VERY expensive, but people on net say it is loud and quality sounding. Of course - only second hand is an option.

But few options mentioned here are also very interesting.

Take a look at the TC Electronics BG250 208, its pretty small but can still hold its own in a rehearsal or quiet band situation. I've upgraded the 8" speakers in mine to give a total load of 4 ohms meaning I get the full 250W output without an extension cab. Personally, I prefer this combo to the PJB Briefcase it replaced. It 'breathes' a little easier and is warmer and more natural sounding to my old ears.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, albinokiller said:

I need it for small gigs with disciplined drummer and two "normal" guitarists. Problem is we are going to gigs in one car with no spare space in it and I have to find something that is small and loud enough. That is why I was thinking of AER amp One. I know it is VERY expensive, but people on net say it is loud and quality sounding. Of course - only second hand is an option. But few options mentioned here are also very interesting.

Having owned both, I would say the 0ne10 and a decent amp is at least the equal of an AER amp one (possibly louder) and, as I said before, it would be less than half the cost and weight.

In fact, a pair of one10s and amp would still be cheaper than an AER amp one.O.o

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

7 hours ago, JPJ said:

Take a look at the TC Electronics BG250 208, its pretty small but can still hold its own in a rehearsal or quiet band situation. I've upgraded the 8" speakers in mine to give a total load of 4 ohms meaning I get the full 250W output without an extension cab. Personally, I prefer this combo to the PJB Briefcase it replaced. It 'breathes' a little easier and is warmer and more natural sounding to my old ears.

+1

Wow that's tiny! I would definitely recommend trying before you buy and I suspect you may struggle to find one second hand, because I doubt many folk will have bought one new?

OK - I am going to stick my neck out and say that this seems, at least from where I'm sitting, to be ridiculously expensive (c. £800 new) for what it is delivering and the brand?

If I had a choice between the GK MB150 combo and some of the other options listed above I would go for one of the others our fellow BCers have recommended every time. But maybe that's just me?! In the price range that this is in you could get a really excellent combo that knocks this into the dust e.g. the Markbass CMD 121p which Lozz recommended or possibly even the best small combo in the market today: the EICH BC112 Pro 

IMHO, YMMV etc.

• Thanks 1

I've used an GK MB150S and it was OK for home use but the only way I could make it work on a gig was to add the extension 112.

At home I use my Barefaced One10 with whatever amp I have to hand, usually the TH500. The tone is seriously huge and the whole thing is smaller than the wast paper basket.

• Thanks 1

I absolutely recommend The Barefaced ONE 10.  I use it with my GenzBenz Streamliner 900 or my Genzler Magellan 350.  The latter for about £450 and the cab with cover £350 should do the trick.  I also have two Bergantino HD 112 cabs at 20kg should I need them for bigger gigs.  One of the HD112s is great with said amps.  Certainly all work well for me.  The bottom end out of the ONE 10 is superb and 7KG!!!

Glynn Murray

• Thanks 1

AER Amp One weights 13,4kg and already has the 200W amp built in. It is really small, my also very portable Roland Cube 100 seems like its twice it's size and weight. What is the price tag on those Barefaced One10?

Regarding AER, you won't believe the low end coming out of those little boxes, absolutely baffling. I'm sure you've already seen Ed Friedlands video of those amps?

Edited by djaxup

13 minutes ago, djaxup said:

AER Amp One weights 13,4kg and already has the 200W amp built in. It is really small, my also very portable Roland Cube 100 seems like its twice it's size and weight. What is the price tag on those Barefaced One10?

Regarding AER, you won't believe the low end coming out of those little boxes, absolutely baffling. I'm sure you've already seen Ed Friedlands video of those amps?

AER amp one is £1450 from GAK and weighs 13.5 kg.

The one10 costs £319 delivered and weighs 7.5kg. (7.0kg if you go for the cloth cover at an extra £30.)

That leaves you £1131 to buy an amp for the one10.  Or an amp and a second one10? ^_^

I agree that the amp one is superb.  I've had a amp one (and an AER amp two - even better!) but the one10 will amaze you just as much.

Frank.

• Thanks 1