Why become a member? ×

Mark King 6 String

Kevin Dean

20 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I suspect Mark would make playing any stringed bass look easy. What 6 string was he playing out of interest.?

He's been playing a Status headless 6. Very posh!

Interestingly (or not so) ten years ago (more actually) when I was looking for a new six string, I was offered a Status S2 6 string headless (16.5mm spacing) on Statii from a person from Italy (I think). Stunning instrument, but of course most people know how that story panned out! :) 

8 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

I was quite surprised to see Mark with a 6 string , I just can't get my head around mine & nearly imposible to  do 4 string slap style on , that C string really gets in the way .

Bit of practice really I guess. I've played 6 string for so long I actually had to adjust my technique to play 4 he he he!! - What was most confusing is that I kept thinking the E string was a B! 

2 minutes ago, dood said:

He's been playing a Status headless 6. Very posh!

Interestingly (or not so) ten years ago (more actually) when I was looking for a new six string, I was offered a Status S2 6 string headless (16.5mm spacing) on Statii from a person from Italy (I think). Stunning instrument, but of course most people know how that story panned out! :) 

it begs the question, is he doing something different musically. why does he need a 6er.? Not that he cant do what he does on a 6 string bass, but I would so love him to do something different. Not that I don't dig what he does of course. 

1 minute ago, bubinga5 said:

it begs the question, is he doing something different musically. why does he need a 6er.? Not that he cant do what he does on a 6 string bass, but I would so love him to do something different. Not that I don't dig what he does of course. 

I've actually no idea. Maybe the new band/project he's involved in is making use of the extra string?

The story behind Mark King playing a 6 strings bass is more "basic". He simply saw a band and the guy on the bass was using a 6 strings (slapping as fingering), he tried the bass and found the added strings interesting, ask Rob Green to make him one and the rest will become history.

Remember that Mark King is also a terrific fingers only player, just like Alain Caron who also plays fretless and only 6 strings electric basses. Listen to his "D-Code" slap anthem : 

2 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

A friend of mine plays a 6 string & site reads , He said that He doesn't have to move his hand around so much & Mark complimented on his playing .

That's true!! Speaking of my 7, I've done dep gigs in the past where I'd stayed pretty much in the same position all night ha ha!! That was a waste of the other 19 frets!

• Like 1

Kalium sells F# strings by unity, but it will be a bit hard to find. That said I play 6 strings basses mainly because you don't have to move your left hand to play 80% of the stuff. I guess that with a 7 seven strings you go to 100% like dood said.

Kalium have two types of strings :

http://store.kaliumstrings.com/index.php/electric-bass-guitar/shop-by-material/hybrid-bass-guitar/single-strings.html?limit=all

http://store.kaliumstrings.com/index.php/electric-bass-guitar/shop-by-material/steel-bass-strings/single-strings.html

Edited by Hellzero

7 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

Whould I  d tune a B string or can you buy a f# string ?

The B string if it were heavy enough gauge you’d be able to ‘try’ the theory out but nothing will be as good as the correct gauge for the job. I use a minimum of 182 for F# and i have a 190 to drop tune to E.

D’Addario do a 170 gauge which of course will pair very well with their other sets. I’d recommend giving them a go.

I’m just using the last of my Kaliums but after that I will be having Newtone Strings make these custom gauges for me. They are very good!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Kalium sells F# strings by unity, but it will be a bit hard to find. That said I play 6 strings basses mainly because you don't have to move your left hand to play 80% of the stuff. I guess that with a 7 seven strings you go to 100% like dood said.

Kalium have two types of strings :

http://store.kaliumstrings.com/index.php/electric-bass-guitar/shop-by-material/hybrid-bass-guitar/single-strings.html?limit=all

http://store.kaliumstrings.com/index.php/electric-bass-guitar/shop-by-material/steel-bass-strings/single-strings.html

Kalium are great but the cost of shipping and import costs are prohibiting.

• 2 years later...
On 16/11/2017 at 18:34, bubinga5 said:

He said he was watching Thundercat and thought, “I need a six”, and since he can call up Status and they give him whatever he wants... why not?