Why become a member? ×

Thinking about a Crazy 88 - opinions?

Happy Jack

I bought a Crazy 8 recently and I've been seriously impressed with it, so much so that I'm seriously considering selling my Barefaced OneTen to part-fund a Crazy 88 (the 2x8 version).

My needs are well catered for in the big-rig department. I have three more Barefaced cabs (610, Compact, Midget) and oodles of power on tap, so any full-fat rock gig is dealt with.

More and more these days, my focus is on the 'sensible volume in a small pub' gigs, plus the 'stage monitor for my DB on a festival stage' gigs, and my thinking is that having an '8' plus an '88' gives me three different options while retaining effectively the same sound.

I'm talking to Tricky Audio at the moment and I was surprised to find that they have never yet been asked to build a Crazy 88. I get the impression that people wanting more than a Crazy 8 migrate to the fEARful 110 but that's not really where my head's at.

What's the experience of the Basschat Collective? Anyone played through a Crazy 88? Anyone reading what I've just written find themselves shaking their heads and thinking "No, No, No"?

I too have been looking at something like this for a micro rig, in fact I was really tempted by the Eden amp that's in the classifieds currently too.

What I'd be keen to know (and why I'm subscribing) is what people think the Crazy 88 would bring over something like the BF Midget. I have had two Gen 2 midgets and they were a great cab, one of the winners for size/weight/output. My gut feeling is that the 88 simply sounds better, less barky, but I'm curious to hear from anyone who's tried one. 

I’ve not tried one yet Jack........ I’ll let you know what I think, WHEN I BUILD YOURS ???. 

Theres quite a lot of threads about the c88 on that other bass forum ( I forget the name...talk—-?? ) 

also try the Greenboy forum 

www.greenboy.us

Edited by triggno9

Pretty sure it doesn't ... there's no tweeter!

Even if it does, the Trace 208 appears to cost the same as, or more than, the cab I'm after, and would have all my hard-earned dosh going to a Yankee megabucks corporation rather than to craftsmen here in the UK.

10 years ago I was one of Alex Claber's first regular customers, partly because I like his cabs, and partly because I want to support people doing stuff in the UK music industry rather than just channel money to the USA and China.

I'm happy to be dealing with Tricky Audio, and I suspect I'll get much better service from them than I would from Peavey!

Now if only Mike Lull would leave Seattle and re-locate to Uxbridge ...

• Like 2