Why become a member? ×

Two new Adam Clayton Signatures - Purple Sparkle!

molan

On 16/11/2017 at 12:46, molan said:

I’m not sure that his name sells that many basses. It’s his design choices that people buy into. 

He takes maybe 15-20 basses on the road when he goes on tour and genuinely uses a lot of them at each gig / TV appearance. 

Of course he doesn’t really need to use so many but, given that he can easily afford them (and the techs to get them ready at a moment’s notice) then I can’t see it does any harm to anyone. 

Because his band is such a ‘showcase’ he often chooses bright colours and bold designs to stand out on stage. 

Manufacturers like this because it gives them a chance to show off some flashier designs. 

The number of Clayton ‘haters’ are limited to a few players who hang out on forums. Not many of them and with little influence on the general bass buying public. 

By making some of the signature models as limited editions this increases immediate demand at launch which, in turn, generates much-needed publicity, and subsequent revenue, for what is an increasingly beleaguered industry. 

I’d think this particular run ought to sell out relatively quickly. It’ll be interesting to see how well they are made and what UK price comes in at. Looks like they’ll be around the same build spec and quality as the current American Vintage models so may be the same price - possibly a bit more because of the higher grade blocks. 

Of course, the real test is how they sound but even this is going to be pretty subjective. At most ‘everday’ gigs that they are likely to be used at, I doubt any audience member will be able to hear the difference between one of these and a pre CBS vintage model. They might get noticed as looking a bit different from run of the mill sunburst/Black/white/natural though. If the player feels good about him/herself whilst playing and has a good time then that feels like the most important thing :)

I very much doubt anyone is going to see someone with one of these and go “ooh look it’s an Adam Clayton wannabe, bet he can’t play”. . .

This.

I'd imagine its a commercial and marketing decision rather than simply flogging more bases. I.e. sell a few high end basses yes, but also gets people discussing fender, increasing brand current profile (this thread as an example.. ) and also increases knock on sales of the more modest lines. I know he is not the worlds best bass player but multi millionaire international rock star Mr Clayton does seem commercially pretty sharp.

6 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

If BigRedX finds out Fender is now run by ex chairman of Disney Consumer Products he's gonna have a field day! xD

With all the top brass in the world they've hired one sacked two years ago,  I don't suppose you get the pick of the crop if you're millions in debt? 

But the good news is he does actually play guitar. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

With all the top brass in the world they've hired one sacked two years ago,  I don't suppose you get the pick of the crop if you're millions in debt? 

I thought Andy Mooney was super successful at Disney?

He was credited with coming up with the idea for the Princess range and then turning it into a 4 billion dollar brand. 

Also ran the, hugely successful, Disney Retail business. The gossip when he left Disney was that he walked out because the board wouldn’t accept some of his punchier ideas (Disney is a very conservative company). 

Previously he’d had over 20 very successful years at Nike as both UK CFO and then head of marketing in USA. 

The job he was fired from was Quicksilver which was in a pretty bad shape when he arrived. 

Overall his credentials in retail, marketing and financial management are first rate. Seems like an excellent combination for for someone to run a large global music instrument business.