Why become a member? ×

Two new Adam Clayton Signatures - Purple Sparkle!

molan

I see that Fender have finally released a Signature version of a purple sparkle P that Adam Clayton has been seen with  

Theres also a matching J with what appears to be the same neck - 1.5” nut and a rounded C profile  

He had a pair of sparkle P basses made by Mike Lull quite a while ago - one gold and one purple. He didn’t keep the gold one but Fender released a Masterbuilt Custom Shop version in a small run of about 60. 

They then built him a personal one in purple that caused a bit of a stir after some high profile US TV performances. 

I cant find any official Fender press releases  about them but stores in the US are taking deposits with a sale price of $1,999 so I’d expect they’ll be close to £2K over here. 

Seem to be limited editions of around 100 but obviously not CS builds at that price. They’ll be Standard US built Artist series I think with CS pickups (the J definitely has CS pups). 

I’m a complete sucker for sparkly basses and think they look great but far too bling for a lot of people :)

EFDD2FA8-3B3B-415C-BCB8-7ADE41C3540F.jpeg

C1111567-BB3F-4354-ACC3-323FDBEAAA88.jpeg

• Like 1

It's well documented here that I'm no fan of Adam Clayton and this also extends to the use of his name on signature models. 

I'm sure that having fellow bandmembers on the board of directors at Fender just makes it far too easy to put his name on a pair 60 year old designs in a sparkly finish and claim it's something new, especially considering his dalliances with other manufacturers.  I'd have respected Fender more if they'd bought these combinations out as a standard option!

P

I think they aimed this and his previous signature model at the wrong price point. I think the Mexican made signature models as well as the RoadWorn and classic series are incredibly well made instruments and at their price point, although expensive, I think more people would be willing to overlook the 'signature' aspect of the bass for the cool features. I am not a Roger Waters fan but his signature P ticks a lot of boxes for me as an example.

I liked the spec of his green Jazz (I love the lollipop tuners and colour) but it was just too expensive and the one I played was a complete dog for the money. Lifeless sterile characterless instrument for 2k, no thank you. I payed a £300 squire PJ at the same time and it was a much more enjoyable bass.

I think this a great customer colour option with some unique-ish features but why not do a Mexican like the Flea? Someone will buy them though so Fender don't give a monkeys...

I’m not sure that his name sells that many basses. It’s his design choices that people buy into. 

He takes maybe 15-20 basses on the road when he goes on tour and genuinely uses a lot of them at each gig / TV appearance. 

Of course he doesn’t really need to use so many but, given that he can easily afford them (and the techs to get them ready at a moment’s notice) then I can’t see it does any harm to anyone. 

Because his band is such a ‘showcase’ he often chooses bright colours and bold designs to stand out on stage. 

Manufacturers like this because it gives them a chance to show off some flashier designs. 

The number of Clayton ‘haters’ are limited to a few players who hang out on forums. Not many of them and with little influence on the general bass buying public. 

By making some of the signature models as limited editions this increases immediate demand at launch which, in turn, generates much-needed publicity, and subsequent revenue, for what is an increasingly beleaguered industry. 

I’d think this particular run ought to sell out relatively quickly. It’ll be interesting to see how well they are made and what UK price comes in at. Looks like they’ll be around the same build spec and quality as the current American Vintage models so may be the same price - possibly a bit more because of the higher grade blocks. 

Of course, the real test is how they sound but even this is going to be pretty subjective. At most ‘everday’ gigs that they are likely to be used at, I doubt any audience member will be able to hear the difference between one of these and a pre CBS vintage model. They might get noticed as looking a bit different from run of the mill sunburst/Black/white/natural though. If the player feels good about him/herself whilst playing and has a good time then that feels like the most important thing :)

I very much doubt anyone is going to see someone with one of these and go “ooh look it’s an Adam Clayton wannabe, bet he can’t play”. . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's easy to see answer why he has some many custom basses....££££. He's in one of the most well known bands ever and the fact that Bono and The Edge are on the Fender Board of Directors certainly explains the Fender links. If you have the cash you can get Fender or Lull or Warwick or any decent builder to build you a bass. The release of those basses as a custom run makes me think of the Lakland Forum - Lakland Owners Group (LOG) - who had a couple of specia run basses made.

I recall the Lakland LOG basses (forum members voted on a bass they would buy, paid deposits once it was finalised and got a special run bass 8 months later) were limited to runs of 30 as that was basically the lowest number they could request of a certain model from their suppliers. If you apply that to Fender or Warwick out of all the bassists/collectors/fans a run of about 60 will likely sell so they take the risk. You whack together the standard parts, order enough fancy paint to make it a good business call (lets assume 60 basses equals the least amount of paint they can order in bulk and still be profitable) and then stick a 2K price tag on it and watch the profit roll in.

It does get a bit cynical when someone has 'custom' models with a bunch of different builders but that's just the way it is.