Why become a member? ×

So I just quit the band I started six years ago...

NancyJohnson

29 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

must admit I find it annoying when people don't reply, even if it's a "thanks for getting in touch" etc

For sure I agree that it’s annoying, but you never know what’s going on in someone’s life that causes them to not reply as quick as you’d like, so to instantly jump to “this guy is so rude for not replying that I’ll give him some grief on Facebook” makes me more than happy that I didn’t reply to him.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

I must admit it would annoy me a bit too,  just a "I'm really busy but I'll get back to you asap thanks", if something life and death is going on what you doing messing around on Facebook? 

That said I wouldn't have sent a sarky message, just a "sorry position now filled" once you'd had your think about it and messaged back.

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

Nobody here would bother joining if the singer "wasn't interested in what the bass was doing"

In fact, why is he bothering to recruit at all?

There's always going to be players that are not as experienced that need guiding along (see the River boat song fingering thread xD) , for someone that can play but not really write their own parts they might gel, the band might sound worse but that's another matter.

2 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

There's always going to be players that are not as experienced that need guiding along (see the River boat song fingering thread xD) , for someone that can play but not really write their own parts they might gel, the band might sound worse but that's another matter.

I've always thought, with an originals band, writing decent bass lines is more important than technical prowess.

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I must admit it would annoy me a bit too,  just a "I'm really busy but I'll get back to you asap thanks", if something life and death is going on what you doing messing around on Facebook? 

That said I wouldn't have sent a sarky message, just a "sorry position now filled" once you'd had your think about it and messaged back.

no me neither, I'd have said something like "Sorry, when you didn't reply we assumed you weren't interested and got somebody else"

39 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

This is very true. 

Kinda all sounds a bit soulless tho doesn't it?

It happens.  I dropped a contact with a chap who's main thing was keyboards and MIDI.  He answered the JMB ad I had up a couple of years ago.  He'd looked for bass to go with his guitar and singing.  Right from the off his attitude was both patronising and stifling.

I suppose he thought he was being hospitable but I couldn't wait to get out of the session.  It's right what they say - auditions and interviews cut two-ways.  I rejected his application for me to play with him.  Heeheehee.  Of course I didn't say that to him.  Rather I claimed that his set list was too much for my feeble ability and that he'd be better looking elsewhere while I stuck to my humble set.

I sometimes wish I had stuck it out but I didn't feel there was any level on which we'd ever click, if you get my meaning.

He would wait a long time to get a reply from me via Face-ache because I very rarely use it.  I don't post anything on it and check it about once a fortnight as I 'follow' one or two performers and organizations who put notices on the site.  I also get so much Spam email that I have a very high security setting on my 'In Box'.  If your email details are not in my address book your communication will go direct to my 'Junk Mail' folder - along with the invitations from Anastasia to "enjoy" her Russian lady friends!  There seems to be a expectation that everyone is hovering over their computers 24/7.  What is wrong with a 'phone call?

On 11/16/2017 at 22:05, dmccombe7 said:

Think its annoying when people leave a band and can't make up their minds like that

Hear hear. Reminds me of a certain drummer, who having been the subject of intense discussion and heartache about whether his commitment was up to scratch, was confronted in a band meeting and said he'd rather be moving to Australia to be with his girlfriend. Cue a week later, his girlfriend's dumped him and he wants back in...

Surprised people in this thread seem to be having most trouble with their guitarists; for us, drummers have always been hardest to find and usually flakes, nutters or egomaniacs. Sometimes all three.

11 hours ago, LeftyP said:

He would wait a long time to get a reply from me via Face-ache because I very rarely use it.  I don't post anything on it and check it about once a fortnight as I 'follow' one or two performers and organizations who put notices on the site.  I also get so much Spam email that I have a very high security setting on my 'In Box'.  If your email details are not in my address book your communication will go direct to my 'Junk Mail' folder - along with the invitations from Anastasia to "enjoy" her Russian lady friends!  There seems to be a expectation that everyone is hovering over their computers 24/7.  What is wrong with a 'phone call?

I'm not on there but I'd imagine there's a 'message read' notification? so the sender would know it had been read. 

If the studio actually HAVE wiped your bass parts, good..
They may not interfere with a recording (unless you are really matey with them).

Did you co-write the songs? You can block their use.

Was the Nancy Johnson name your idea? You can block the use of that too.

Edited by 12stringbassist

On 17/11/2017 at 16:50, PaulWarning said:

must admit I find it annoying when people don't reply, even if it's a "thanks for getting in touch" etc

yeah, this, and both ways - the amount of singers I've auditioned (or tried to) who make some initial contact, you send a reply, and that's the last you hear from the.  Even a "sorry, I'm not interested any more" would be better than no reply at all.

A few months ago i was told about a friend of a friend's band that was looking for a bass player and my mate gave me their contact details, for which I had to set up Messenger.  I was not happy at having to expand my social media (though I now use it a bit more than I had thought i would, and actually mostly for another band who only seem to communicate that way).  I send a message "Hi, I'm the bass player that your mate knows..."  No response.  At all.  I wasn't hugely fussed at not joining the band, but felt it was a bit rude to not even say "thanks but we've found somebody else"

Then at a festival a few months ago I get introduced to someone as being the guitarist from said band.  Turns out he's a nice enough bloke, and seemed genuinely awkward about it all - they'd got an audition lined up with someone else when my message arrived so didn't want to respond until they'd seen how that went, hired that bass player and then put off going back to me until they forgot about it (or more likely, assumed I'd gone away)

So imagine my surprise when I finally get a response a couple of weeks ago telling me that their bass player has quit and would I be up for trying out?

i would love to be able to tell you that I haven't replied.  But I'm just not that bloke, especially now that I know the guitarist.  It hasn't come to anything yet, but if it does I may try and take over they keys to the social media