Why become a member? ×

Let's list all the vintage/used bass shops!

ZilchWoolham

18 hours ago, ZilchWoolham said:

I'm wondering if maybe there should be some criteria imposed for inclusion. Perhaps I should at least try to organise the list in some way beyond alphabetical order. It's getting to be quite long now, and I think there's a rather large discrepancy between some of the shops listed in terms of relevance to bassists (particularly those looking for vintage gear). Some deal exclusively in vintage basses, while others have as few as three used basses in stock. Any suggestions welcome! 

Difficult, as the last entry I suggested maybe falls into this category.  I think he had 6 basses in, but at least 3 - a Gibson Money bass, the Custom Fender, a 5 string Warwick (and maybe a Fender Mustang) fell into the genuinely interesting category.

G.

On 14/11/2017 at 22:28, ZilchWoolham said:

Well, I feel like browsing, so I thought it would be nice to compile a list of the various online shops selling vintage and used basses in the UK, or indeed the EU. I'll add your suggestions to the original post. Here's the list so far, in alphabetical order:

The British Isles:

Andy Baxter (London)

AngelDust (Multi-location?)

Bass Direct (Warwick/Leamington Spa)

The Bass Gallery (London)

Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience (Hampton Wick)

Classic and Cool 

David J Pym (Hungerford)

Electro Music (Doncaster)

Guitar Classics (London)

Guitar Village (Farnham)

Live Music (Edinburgh)

London Vintage Guitar/Hanks (London)

Lucky Fret (London)

Mansons (Exeter)

Mudpie Music (Brighton)

The Music Locker (Ripley, Derbyshire - by appointment only)

Nicks Guitars (Wetherby)

New Kings Road Guitars (London)

No.Tom (London)

Promenade Music (Morecambe)

Really Great Guitars (Ombersley)

Some Neck Guitars (Dublin)

Strung Out Guitars (Glasgow)

Tommy Twang's Guitars (Glasgow)

Vintage and Modern Guitars (Thame)

Vintage 'n' Rare (Bath)

West End Music (Ipswich)

Wunjo Guitars (London)

Continental Europe:

Der kleine Gitarrenladen (Online only, Germany)

Guitar Point (Maintal, Germany)

Paul's Bass Matters (Nijmegen, Netherlands)

Vintage Guitar (Oldenburg, Germany)

Thank you for The Music Locker.  It's just up the road from me.

On 2018-02-28 at 16:53, razze06 said:

When I used to live there, this guy had a brick and mortar shop in town - most ultra expensive vintage gear i've ever seen!

http://www.hendrixguitars.com/

Now online only, still has eye-wateringly expensive and rare kit

I've come across that shop before, actually. While some of the ones I've listed certainly have prices well above market value (and above usual dealer prices), this particular shop has such utterly hideous prices I just can't conceive of anyone wanting to buy anything from them, so I've been hesitant to stick them on the list. 

On 2018-02-28 at 17:35, gs_triumph said:

I believe Live Music in Edinburgh may now be closed permenantly

That's a shame. I noticed it now that I went to the homepage as opposed to the bass listings. Apparently they're open today (for another fifteen minutes) and tomorrow. 

On 2018-03-01 at 22:41, Kevsy71 said:

You're right about that link. I think that was the man who sold vintage scratchplates. Seemed a rather small establishment (which the name suggests). Perhaps he's still physically around, but I suppose I'll remove the link. 

A note about your third link: I'm getting a warning message from my antivirus (F-Secure) when trying to access it. It might very well be a false alarm, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having the same issue. 

EDIT: Actually, the kleine gitarrenladen was online only, so I suppose he's no longer operating. Or he's forgot his website bill. I also realised Le Guitarium is selling a 1973 Jazz for over €4k! 

Edited by ZilchWoolham

22 minutes ago, ZilchWoolham said:

I've come across that shop before, actually. While some of the ones I've listed certainly have prices well above market value (and above usual dealer prices), this particular shop has such utterly hideous prices I just can't conceive of anyone wanting to buy anything from them, so I've been hesitant to stick them on the list.  

20,000 euros for a '66 Jazz?!

I imagine that'll be around for a few decades to come... 

On 03/03/2018 at 16:48, ZilchWoolham said:

When it used to be a brick and mortar shop (mid 1990's) it had the most astonishing array of never-seen-before gear, and all the makes and models you would dream about as a pre-internet impressionable young man. I have lusted over many a bass and guitar over there, and the guitarist in my band at that time managed to get together enough money to buy a Gibson Corvus/Futura. I think he paid the equivalent of £500 at the time, circa 1993.  

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, Shutterbug said:

"Steve's Music" in Montreal ( downtown and the West Island), Canada. Their catchphrase, "If we don't have it, you don't need it" . Used to buy all my gear there when I lived over there. 

That used to be my wifes favourite t-shirt. It died in the end!

• 1 year later...