Dear guest,

Welcome to the biggest community for bass players in Europe. You'll find the site a great source of information and advice.

Why not sign up now and:

• Say hello - tell us about your playing, your gear and where you're from.
  • Search the database for inspiration or to find out more about your instrument
  • Upload an avatar and profile picture
  • Buy one of the thousands of items in our marketplace
  • Safely sell your items to a community of proven enthusiasts
  • Upload pictures, audio and videos
  • Buy exclusive items at discount through our shop (coming soon!)

Go on, click the button and become part of it today!

New: Sign up and get 20% off tickets for the London Bass Guitar Show - and we'll see you there!

OLP pickup size problem

Has anyone upgraded their 4 string OLP Stingray pickup?  I'd love a Nordstrand but I'm looking at a Wilkinson at £20 first to see how much difference there will be. However, looking at the dimensions of other MM pups it appears that they are a bit larger than the OLP jobby and I don't see them fitting the existing cutout in the pickguard. I'm wondering if I'll buy one and get a replacement MM type pickguard possibly made for a 'proper' pickup?

I dropped a Bartolini into my Tony Levin 5 string, it was quite a bit smaller than the stock item, don’t know if that makes much difference to you though.

I put a Kent Armstrong pickup in my 4-string OLP- the scratchplate hole needed a bit of sanding as the pickup was a tiny bit too large.

Posted (edited)

I used Nordstrand MM4.2 and Seymour Duncan SMB4A pickups on my OLPs and I don't remember any issues.

edit: hmm, but I also tended to use replacement MusicMan pickguards. Although on one of the basses I kept the original pickguard, and worked fine with the Seymour Duncan. I think whatever you go for should fit or maybe require very minor sanding of the pickguard route to make any pickup fit.

Edited by mcnach