Why become a member? ×

Bad shoulder - > light bass option

Ajoten

Since an accident resulting in a shoulder injury, I can only play light basses now -the thought of a 

13lb bass makes me wince!

As you say, Danelectros are very light, but do seem a bit of a Marmite thing on here - loved or hated etc. 

My Dano Longhorn is probably around the 6lbs mark, and despite being a touch neck heavy (alleviated by

a decent strap) , it sounds and plays great. Not a lot of tonal variation maybe, but what there is sounds 

good ,to my ears anyway.

Quite surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Fender Precision Lyte ( clue is in the name...) . Made in

Japan from around 1989 to 97, they are fabulous basses IMO. Slim jazz neck, PJ pickups / active

and weigh around the 7lbs mark. Balance well with no neck dive too. Decent ones come up quite often

for around £350ish, an absolute bargain for a well made Japanese instrument. 

I have 3 of them, and they make long gigs so much easier.

Ibanez, Bass Collection, Tune and Pedulia would be good brands to look at. My G&L SB2 is nice too. I would also suggest looking at your playing position if your worried about neck dive. Adjusting the strap so that the bass head more upwards rather than horizontal helps with my tendon problems as is really easy to do with a lighter bass.

Most of mine are less than 9lbs due to neck injuries from rugby.  My lightest is (surprisingly for me) a Sandberg Cali II VS at a touch over 7lbs.  I find it makes a significant difference over a long gig or rehearsal.

17 minutes ago, Ajoten said:

I know what you mean re strap and neck dive, I was just wondering if a lighter body makes it a tad harder to control.

It's true, the light body I used for my Jazz made neck-dive worse, hence the purchase of Hipshot Ultralites, then a Hipshot KickAss bridge for balance! But the overall result was a lighter bass that hangs well on the strap and can be played for hours without pain. :)

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

You can also go the whole hog and migrate to a Hofner Violin bass (model 500/1).
They typically weigh not a lot over five pounds (approx. 1.738 hectares).

That's very nearly a quart! I've been tempted by the Hofner Violin bass, but it's the strong association with that Beatle chappie that puts me off, even though I'm a fan of the guy. Have you seen anyone else playing such a bass, ever?

2 minutes ago, Ajoten said:

My mate John, as it happens. But I too struggle with the Mick McCarthy thing (that his name?). It's the robustness that bothers me most however.

I think It's Phil James John Brian McCartney. I know what you mean, but if a bass is light it's usually also less robust. Unless it's made out of titanium or carbon fibre, or some other space-material. Probably why there are so many fourteen-pound Jazz basses from the 1970s still in existence...

Anyone else - yup, these were very widely used in the 60s and through into the 70s, including artists as unlikely as Dennis Dunaway of Alice Cooper.

dennisDunawayHofner.jpg

Less robust? Far from it. The construction of a violin bass, just like any other classic-style instrument, makes a box girder which is actually phenomenally strong.

In theory, I could stand on my 1964 violin bass without breaking it. I don't plan to test that theory, but feel free to try with your own instrument.

:hi:

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

In theory, I could stand on my 1964 violin bass without breaking it. I don't plan to test that theory, but feel free to try with your own instrument.

Heh. Given my, er... 'centre of gravity problem' it may not be advisable. Didn't know about Alice Cooper's bass player though, so thanks for that. Hofner, eh..? Walks away, mumbling...

Wow, the proper job one isn't too affordable though, is it?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/hoefner_vintage_500_1_64.htm

Is there a version that does the business but doesn't require a large wad to be expended? Fnarr?

Edited by discreet

Define "large".

You could buy a new, modern, Chinese Hofner for as little as £230: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/hofner-ignition-violin-bass-sunburst/83408?gclid=CjwKCAiA6K_QBRA8EiwASvtjZd1QJw2SdiyxSi4kL9Hf-Tb7sC7MfShpL5yvcCfGfgkX9i-Pv2X9ahoCmasQAvD_BwE

That would NOT give you the 5lb lightness or the quality under the hands of a genuine German jobbie - the "sustain block" down the middle adds at least a pound to the weight, the cheap finish is just that, cheap - but at least you're not spending much.

Far better IMHO is to buy a genuine vintage one from the late 60s or early 70s. Spend enough time looking and you'll find one for less than a grand, and you won't be spending that money ... you'll be investing it.

If you want to try a genuine, all-original 1964 (worth somewhere North of £2000 in today's market) you're very welcome to come round and have a bash at mine.

• Like 1

I've just bought what is probably the last new Ibanez SR500M in monogamy with the maple board. As said very very light and fitted with Bartolini's. Super powerful with great tone and just over 7lbs

Works for my back and frozen shoulder....

21 hours ago, T-Bay said:

My Thunderbird is a real tank so when I picked up my Ibanez fretless it just feels,like there is nothing there at all. The thunderbird will remain number 1 despite its weight and my neck and shoulder issues, I have found that it doesn’t matter as long as I have a wide we’ll padded strap. Even 2 1/2 gigs don’t cause any fatigue for me. I think I could go to sleep with the Ibanez on and not notice it.

I generally play a Jazz style bass, which although not heavy, it's still noticeable. I picked up my Ibanez the other day and nearly flung it over my head it's so light.

21 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Word to the wise if you have shoulder issues stay away from the Gibson zLes Paul bass unless you're a boat owner and use it as an anchor.

Blue

FB_IMG_1503852562417.jpg

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here ever seen Blue and Nigel Farrage in the same room, at the same time?

9 minutes ago, Donnyboy said:

Fender Precision Lyte (?) I Had one a while back but it was,eh, a bit too Lyte for me. It weighed next to nothing if I recall

Yup, see my post above^^.

Great lightweight basses that still feel like a proper bass despite weighing next to nowt.

5 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Who's Nigel Farrage?

Blue

Not a very nice guy. I'd say more, but threads have been locked for less.

You look nothing like him anyway .Well maybe if I squint and try to add 40 years...

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1