Why become a member? ×

The Big Yellow Bus Project - PA needed.

NancyJohnson

There's a lovely guy based in the Cotswolds called Gerry Watkins who has an ongoing mission to set up this thing called The Big Yellow Bus Project...effectively it was a one man crusade to buy a bus, put beds in it and have it as somewhere homeless people could bed down overnight, have something to eat, have a shower, launder their clothes etc.  His efforts for fundraising are all his own doing; he's put on gigs and is begging for any help he can to raise money for this (and other projects).  My band have already done gigs for him (his efforts raised over a grand for a wheelchair football team earlier in the summer and we're doing a Yellow Bus gig in December).  I'm doing all his posters/artwork for gigs.

Happily, he raised enough to buy a bus a couple of weeks ago and it's all being refitted with beds and so on.

Now then, he's putting on a gig in Cirencester on 2/12/17 and the guys who were providing the PA (free) have taken a paying gig, so he needs a PA for the day.  Oh, for free.  Whoever provides will get their name stencilled on the bus and an immense feeling of wellbeing.

Anyone know anyone who have a PA he could loan for the day?  If yes, please shoot me a message and I'll forward on detail to Gerry. 

Thanks

021217.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry, I don't know anyone in the area who would have a PA
But I just wanted to say, what a great cause Gerry Watkins has set up :)
This is brilliant news - and I hope it may inspire other people, in other areas of the UK
Once again, homelessness is an awful problem, and it's getting worse all the time

Well done to you too for getting involved. If I was closer, I'd be drumming up the support of musician pals (I did a homeless charity gig in Merthyr a couple of weeks back, and was pleased to see quite a few turn out to support the event)
But this big yellow bus project is a brilliant idea. Hats off to everyone involved, and best of luck with it

• Like 1

We gigged for Musicians Against Homelessness in 2016/17 - we were the second band Alan McGee picked up in 2016, which was the first year they did it.  I think that in 2016 they raised £40K over 100 gigs, which is great considering no one had heard of it, and we raised over a thousand of that over three shows.  Now this year of course, everyone and their mother has been doing gigs, which yes, is a good thing, but baddish for bands like us because the whole punters-feeling-good-about-themselves only extends so far.

Gerry is a lovely bloke, Christ, I see him putting on shows and then posting at 1.30am the morning after gigs asking whether anyone is driving through Cirencester so he can cadge a lift home.  When we did the Swindon Rockets thing earlier in the year he actually walked about ten miles to the place where the gig was on and the same back home because he couldn't get a ride.  He put on a full buffet for the bands as well to say thank you.  Virtually every gig I do it's rare for the promoter to even buy you a beer, let alone something to eat.

I see faceless people getting gongs for doing less than what this guy is doing.  He's a fabulous bloke and is doing great things.  He needs all the help he can get.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raggy said:

Gerry is a top bloke, my band Rotten Aces are there, but I’m not, which I’m gutted about. He does so much for charity. Sounds of the Cotswolds is another he organises. There must be someone out there who can help. 

I'm not there either as I left my band a couple of days back.  I'm handling his artwork until someone better than me offers their services!

*I'm doing the Sounds Of The Cotswolds posters this weekend!

Edited by NancyJohnson

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

How much of a PA is he looking for? Those two letters cover an awful lot of ground ...

Roomwise it's one of the conference/wedding rooms at Cirencester FC.  It's not going to have to be huge.  He's a bit vague.

I suppose if you think of what a club band or DJ might use.  I guess they'll only mic up the bass drum and snare.  It's a punky gig.

If you can help, I'll happily pass over his contact details.