Why become a member? ×

Site Bugs - List them here

BigRedX

Question

I can't see a thread for reporting general site bugs and other weirdness, so I thought it might be a good idea to list them all in one place. If one does already exist, please merge this thread with it.

1. New posts don't always bump a thread up to the top of the list in a forum. I've seen this happen twice this morning, where someone had replied to a thread, but it still is in the place in the thread list where it was before the new post was made. Is this just a side effect of Basschat currently being slow in general or something different?

2. Marking content as read. There is an inconsistency in how this works. If I click the "Mark forum as read" text at the top of a forum listing I get a warning dialog box pop up asking me if I am sure. However if I mark a forum as read by clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon next to it the the forums list then there is no warning. IMO either the warning should apply to both actions, or it should only apply to clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon as this is easier to do by mistake.

3. No full editor for those of us who like to be a bit more creative with our BB tags and layout.

4. PMs from the old site have not migrated over. I can't remember seeing anything specific in the site migration threads that said "all you old PMs will be lost when the new version of the site goes live"

I'm sure there will be more to come...

Sorry, me again. I replied to a FS thread a couple of days back for two g****r rack preamp in which I requested that the seller PM me payment details. I've searched every way I can think and it's not showing up. Of course, I may have dreamt it, but it's an oddly unambitious dream even for me? Am I mad, is it extraordinarily hard to search things even posted the same week, or has it simply gone? I really wanted the gear so would be great if someone could find it for me :)

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Sorry, me again. I replied to a FS thread a couple of days back for two g****r rack preamp in which I requested that the seller PM me payment details. I've searched every way I can think and it's not showing up. Of course, I may have dreamt it, but it's an oddly unambitious dream even for me? Am I mad, is it extraordinarily hard to search things even posted the same week, or has it simply gone? I really wanted the gear so would be great if someone could find it for me :)

Found it - PM’d you :-)

33 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ill take your word for that, i have no idea where that setting is, but i also have the option to send me one email a day at the top of the thread ticked fror the threads im taking part in. ive tried all those options since the new site went live. As it is i have received a digest email today so something has changed somewhere.

Nothing has changed on the site for about a week :)

8 minutes ago, Beedster said:

It was deleted because it was posted in effects rather than the for sale section

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

Why do i have to press shift+return when i only press return on every other site??? I don't want a  blank line - i simply want the next line.
Its bugging me because its anti intuitive ........especially if i have to write a longer message or post.

For someone like me who is mildly dyslexic, breaking posts up into digestible chunks by automatically adding space after a return makes it easier to read. 

If I can read what other members have written without having to work too hard to understand their massive blocks of streams of consciousness posts I'm more likely to take the time to offer an answer or advice.

I don't know if this has already been raised, but the site is broken on my iPad Air 2 in two ways:

1: In portrait mode (since it doesn't appear in landscape mode), pressing the hamburger menu (needed to get to notifications etc) does nothing. Works in Chrome on the same device but not Safari.

2: I can no longer reply to threads. All I get at the bottom of the screen is a grey speech bubble next to my avatar, with 'this field is required' in red, the 'notify me of replies' checkbox and the 'submit reply' button. But no white text editing area! Again, works in Chrome but not Safari.

Edited by dannybuoy

19 hours ago, charic said:

Nothing has changed on the site for about a week :)

Hmm.

Either its more complicated than it looks, or its not working 100%.

If i understood you, i only had email alerts for PM's? If thats the case why did i get two daily digest email's over the past 48 hours, as set in the box at the top of the thread?

I have find the setting you mentioned,  just now, and all email alerts were turned off in the Notifications section, even though at the top of the thread its turned on. This is very confusing, especially as im now getting them without tuning anything on or off since i last posted. I have now turned the (hopefully) relevant setting on in the Home/Notifications/options page.

So to sum up, its been working as i thought it should for the past 48 hours without me changing anything, but i have now changed something to make it work as i hoped it would 8-)

Sorry if im missing something.

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I don't know if this has already been raised, but the site is broken on my iPad Air 2 in two ways:

1: In portrait mode (since it doesn't appear in landscape mode), pressing the hamburger menu (needed to get to notifications etc) does nothing. Works in Chrome on the same device but not Safari.

2: I can no longer reply to threads. All I get at the bottom of the screen is a grey speech bubble next to my avatar, with 'this field is required' in red, the 'notify me of replies' checkbox and the 'submit reply' button. But no white text editing area! Again, works in Chrome but not Safari.

Very strange

@ped can you have a look please buddy? I don't have an iPad!

Sorry I haven't read through 14 pages. . . . .

When I list Unread Content the message at the end of the page is "load more activity". That's OK, but it says that when there is no more activity to load, ie on the last page. Surely the software knows if it has loaded the final post? At that point it would help if it automatically flagged "There is no more activity to display" rather than telling me there are more posts to display when there aren't!

I've looked through quite a lot of the previous pages but don't seem to see my problem anywhere else.......

I am following several threads on the site and when anyone replies / adds to the threads I get a notification....all ok so far. However today when I went to my "Manage Followed Content" I noticed there were several threads that either the topic had been edited (eg SOLD) or the initial post had been edited with extra information...... but no notifications came through. If I remember with the original site I would get notifications for any changes to the threads. Is it possible on the new site as I've had a look as my notifications settings and it only mentions "new replies" nothing about edits?

Also would I get notified if anyone used the "bump" button on their thread?

Edited by Acebassmusic
Add text

1 hour ago, Acebassmusic said:

I've looked through quite a lot of the previous pages but don't seem to see my problem anywhere else.......

I am following several threads on the site and when anyone replies / adds to the threads I get a notification....all ok so far. However today when I went to my "Manage Followed Content" I noticed there were several threads that either the topic had been edited (eg SOLD) or the initial post had been edited with extra information...... but no notifications came through. If I remember with the original site I would get notifications for any changes to the threads. Is it possible on the new site as I've had a look as my notifications settings and it only mentions "new replies" nothing about edits?

Also would I get notified if anyone used the "bump" button on their thread?

You won't get notifications for edits or bumps as far as I'm aware

1 minute ago, charic said:

I find it keeps the threads a lot tidier and it lowers the risk of people breaching the marketplace rules.

Yep, I agree here, nothing worse than when something that's been up for sale for a long time has the last 40 posts just reading 'Bump'..

+1

I used to bump my thread, then on the 2nd bump, delete the old one, which was a lot of overhead that's now been replaced by one click. And of course most people just posted endless bump posts one after the other.

Anyway, what's the problem with it looking like you bumped the thread? Once people get used to the new system they will no longer assume the last poster bumped it anyway, as you can work it out from the timestamps on each post.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2017 at 11:17, dannybuoy said:

Both of these issues are now fixed by the way. No idea if it was something done at your end or just me rebooting my iPad, but all is well now!

• Like 1

First new bug on The New Era - sorry!

In the last few days, I have received email notifications only for some of the content I follow. For instance, no notifications for the Acoustic Bass thread in GD. I have gone to my notifications page, unsubscribed from the notifications i had ticked, re-subscribed, but still nothing. However, I do seem to receive notifications of new threads that are created in the forums I follow, including GD. O.o

5 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

In the last few days, I have received email notifications only for some of the content I follow. For instance, no notifications for the Acoustic Bass thread in GD. I have gone to my notifications page, unsubscribed from the notifications i had ticked, re-subscribed, but still nothing. However, I do seem to receive notifications of new threads that are created in the forums I follow, including GD. O.o

You want to receive an email when someone comments on a thread you're following if I'm correct?

I'll check your settings for you

10 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Your settings seem to be correct, if this was happening pre-move I wonder if you've fallen foul of a spam filter?