Why become a member? ×

Site Bugs - List them here

BigRedX

Question

I can't see a thread for reporting general site bugs and other weirdness, so I thought it might be a good idea to list them all in one place. If one does already exist, please merge this thread with it.

1. New posts don't always bump a thread up to the top of the list in a forum. I've seen this happen twice this morning, where someone had replied to a thread, but it still is in the place in the thread list where it was before the new post was made. Is this just a side effect of Basschat currently being slow in general or something different?

2. Marking content as read. There is an inconsistency in how this works. If I click the "Mark forum as read" text at the top of a forum listing I get a warning dialog box pop up asking me if I am sure. However if I mark a forum as read by clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon next to it the the forums list then there is no warning. IMO either the warning should apply to both actions, or it should only apply to clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon as this is easier to do by mistake.

3. No full editor for those of us who like to be a bit more creative with our BB tags and layout.

4. PMs from the old site have not migrated over. I can't remember seeing anything specific in the site migration threads that said "all you old PMs will be lost when the new version of the site goes live"

I'm sure there will be more to come...

2 minutes ago, charic said:

I don't recall there being one on the old site tbh. Once the site is fully up to speed then I'll start a wish list for people to contribute too :)

Each post showed a number preceded by a # at the top right hand corner.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 14:53, Jono Bolton said:

How do you post status updates on the new site? I can't figure it out. I can see ones that have been posted on the right-hand side of the main page, but can't put one up myself. o.O

Anyone know about this? I can see that other people have updated their statuses recently, but I've been looking for it all weekend and can't find it. Am I being stupid?

4 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

Anyone know about this? I can see that other people have updated their statuses recently, but I've been looking for it all weekend and can't find it. Am I being stupid?

You need to go to your profile, in there is a button which says "enable status updates"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Weirdness with the "Following" preferences. Since the weekend I appear to be automatically following any thread that I have posted in. In certainly wasn't like that before and I haven't changed anything in my settings.

That's probably me :/ sorry! I was trying to fix some stuff around notifications earlier

I've gone and turned it off for me. 

But it was rather disconcerting since there are some threads that I follow but I was getting notifications for absolutely everything. 

I've also noticed that at the bottom of this reply box there is a "Notify me of replies" switch that is ON by default. It's going to be a complete ball-ache if I have to specifically turn it off every time I post.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

I've gone and turned it off for me. 

But it was rather disconcerting since there are some threads that I follow but I was getting notifications for absolutely everything. 

I've also noticed that at the bottom of this reply box there is a "Notify me of replies" switch that is ON by default. It's going to be a complete ball-ache if I have to specifically turn it off every time I post.

I'll find where you can turn that to off by default :)

We wanted it on by default for new members and I probably cocked up

8 minutes ago, charic said:

If you go to here

https://www.basschat.co.uk/notifications/options/

And turn off the automatically follow new content I post and reply too then I think it'll flip that switch for you

That's what I've done.

Also the switch on the reply box seems to be a global setting. Once it's turned off it appears to stay turned off until it's turned back on which is a relief!

Confirmation dialogue box for making all threads in a forum as read by clicking on the forum icon was active briefly over the weekend but now appears to be off again.

Also now that the mobile version of BassChat is essentially a resized version of the standard layout it is quite tricky to differentiate between the thread title and the bullet icon next to it that takes you directly to the first unread post, on smaller screens - phones and iPad Mini. Previously on the mobile version clicking either the thread title or the bullet icon would take you to the first unread post.

Finally going to first unread post in a thread tends to overshoot, usually ending up a post or two further down. I think this may be a a browser issue caused by the page dynamically resizing as the content loads. Certainly affecting the Mac OS version of Safari.

I can run a search and get a list of search results OK, but when I click on a result and view it I can't see how to get back to the search results (clicking the 'back' button gives a 'page expired' error message).

Just now, ikay said:

I can run a search and get a list of search results OK, but when I click on a result and view it I can't see how to get back to the search results (clicking the 'back' button gives a 'page expired' error message).

Open a new tab if you don't want to lose your search results :)

I haven’t read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned already:

On the old site, visiting a thread then revisiting it later on would usually skip all the content you’ve already read so you see the new replies straight away. This doesn’t seem to work for me any more and I just get page 1 every time, regardless of whether I’ve already read the thread or not. 

I’m running the mobile site on my iPad so not sure whether this is an issue on the full site or not. I suppose it could be a cookies thing?

Edited by CameronJ

11 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I haven’t read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned already:

On the old site, visiting a thread then revisiting it later on would usually skip all the content you’ve already read so you see the new replies straight away. This doesn’t seem to work for me any more and I just get page 1 every time, regardless of whether I’ve already read the thread or not. 

I’m running the mobile site on my iPad so not sure whether this is an issue on the full site or not. I suppose it could be a cookies thing?

If you click on the dot to the left of the thread then it'll take you to the unread position handily marked out with an orange bar :)

16 minutes ago, charic said:

If you click on the dot to the left of the thread then it'll take you to the unread position handily marked out with an orange bar :)

Ah! Thanks for that.

The dot (or star) isn’t available for threads which you’ve read but haven’t had new replies, so if you just want to look back on an old thread it’ll still chuck you back to the top of page 1. Is that intentional?