Why become a member? ×

Site Bugs - List them here

BigRedX

Question

I can't see a thread for reporting general site bugs and other weirdness, so I thought it might be a good idea to list them all in one place. If one does already exist, please merge this thread with it.

1. New posts don't always bump a thread up to the top of the list in a forum. I've seen this happen twice this morning, where someone had replied to a thread, but it still is in the place in the thread list where it was before the new post was made. Is this just a side effect of Basschat currently being slow in general or something different?

2. Marking content as read. There is an inconsistency in how this works. If I click the "Mark forum as read" text at the top of a forum listing I get a warning dialog box pop up asking me if I am sure. However if I mark a forum as read by clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon next to it the the forums list then there is no warning. IMO either the warning should apply to both actions, or it should only apply to clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon as this is easier to do by mistake.

3. No full editor for those of us who like to be a bit more creative with our BB tags and layout.

4. PMs from the old site have not migrated over. I can't remember seeing anything specific in the site migration threads that said "all you old PMs will be lost when the new version of the site goes live"

I'm sure there will be more to come...

2 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I'm not getting anything in the spam folder either! And it's the same on both PCs I use.

Email won't be PC related. It will be your email provider, I'll dig a bit deeper once im a bit more rested.

The reason I ask notification or email is:

Notification is what the site calls the little orange bubble at the top

Email is just an email

Don't want to confuse the two

Right, I think I haven't given you enough details.

I am subscribed to receive an email for each reply to threads I follow, and for each new thread created in forums I follow. It used to happen absolutely like clockwork until a few days ago. The notification to replies stopped before The New Era but the problem continues now.

The reason why I'm baffled is that, if it was a "spam filter at ISP level" thing, it would also block the emails I receive every time someone creates a new thread in the forums I follow. Those, instead, are working fine.

*scratches head*

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

Oh I get all that :)

I'm just taking a break as I'm shattered xD

I'll have a poke around and see if I can find anything. In the meantime if you could try changing your email address to an alternative (ideally a different provider) to see if the problem goes away that would be awesome

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, charic said:

Oh I get all that :)

I'm just taking a break as I'm shattered xD

I'll have a poke around and see if I can find anything. In the meantime if you could try changing your email address to an alternative (ideally a different provider) to see if the problem goes away that would be awesome

Up until 6:00am and STILL solving problems. What a legend.

7 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

The email account that comes with my own web page, which I registered and manage through Names.co.uk. Very weird of them to block only half of the notifications, whatever the reason.

I would check that the mailbox hasn't filled up and is blocking the receipt of any emails. IME these types of accounts have very limited email facilities and although they can be set up to automatically forward and then delete incoming email, the process is less than straightforward. A deluge of emails from a popular thread could well have caused your mailbox to reach its maximum.

• Thanks 1

That would be one possibility, but for the fact that they've put a percentage indicator right on the Inbox page, and it's been at a healthy 61% for the last few weeks. I do a lot of housekeeping on that account, so that percentage indicator is the second thing I always look at on that page, after the new messages.

Still a mystery...

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

My onsite notifications are fine, but just this afternoon, i get a note in my note in-box that someone had responded in a thread i had posted in about an hour earlier

I  went to the thread via clicking the note in the in-box, and there was no reply.  My post was still the last one in the thread.

Possibly just a one off, and maybe trivial,  but just thought i'd mention it

42 minutes ago, fleabag said:

My onsite notifications are fine, but just this afternoon, i get a note in my note in-box that someone had responded in a thread i had posted in about an hour earlier

I  went to the thread via clicking the note in the in-box, and there was no reply.  My post was still the last one in the thread.

Possibly just a one off, and maybe trivial,  but just thought i'd mention it

It's possible they deleted it :)

To add to the weirdness of it all, I am now receiving the emails whose absence I mentioned above, one by one, 7, 8 or 9 hours after they were sent by this website to my non-Gmail account.

And another weird thing: I've just been logged out unexpectedly both on my laptop and on my mobile - first time since The Big Move a month ago.

14 minutes ago, discreet said:

Hello site bods... just had to complete about twenty 'captcha' images before I could get on to the site. What's that all about??

Obviously you're a highly suspicious person...

I have to complete a single Captcha to start a thread, but that's it.  Firebox 57.0.1 on Ubuntu linux, if it helps.

Edited by alyctes
Incomplete and frivolous original. I'll leave the frivolous though.
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, alyctes said:

Obviously you're a highly suspicious person...

I have to complete a single Captcha to start a thread, but that's it.  Firebox 57.0.1 on Ubuntu linux, if it helps.

Well I am, but I usually manage to comport myself according to site rules... I'm using Chrome on Windows Vista. Yes, I know.

• Like 1