Why become a member? ×

Site Bugs - List them here

BigRedX

Question

I can't see a thread for reporting general site bugs and other weirdness, so I thought it might be a good idea to list them all in one place. If one does already exist, please merge this thread with it.

1. New posts don't always bump a thread up to the top of the list in a forum. I've seen this happen twice this morning, where someone had replied to a thread, but it still is in the place in the thread list where it was before the new post was made. Is this just a side effect of Basschat currently being slow in general or something different?

2. Marking content as read. There is an inconsistency in how this works. If I click the "Mark forum as read" text at the top of a forum listing I get a warning dialog box pop up asking me if I am sure. However if I mark a forum as read by clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon next to it the the forums list then there is no warning. IMO either the warning should apply to both actions, or it should only apply to clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon as this is easier to do by mistake.

3. No full editor for those of us who like to be a bit more creative with our BB tags and layout.

4. PMs from the old site have not migrated over. I can't remember seeing anything specific in the site migration threads that said "all you old PMs will be lost when the new version of the site goes live"

I'm sure there will be more to come...

12 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The "Bump" button is linked to the user, not the thread.

But as I'm surely the only one using this great function, it won't be fixed before the next decade. :biggrin:

By the way, I like when things change, it's such fun to learn new things, but I'm only half human as I'm a fretless bass player.

Keep on working mods, your work is worth the sweat.

I think I've managed to get the bump button working as intended now (per thread)

Previously, I received email notifications when replies were posted to topics I follow. These emails would show the post text along with a link back to the topic on Basschat. I now see that these email notifications only include the link back to the topic but not the text from the post itself. Is this the only option with the new system or could the text from posts still be included in the notification emails?

5 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

Previously, I received email notifications when replies were posted to topics I follow. These emails would show the post text along with a link back to the topic on Basschat. I now see that these email notifications only include the link back to the topic but not the text from the post itself. Is this the only option with the new system or could the text from posts still be included in the notification emails?

The PM ones do, but we had some problems with the latter. As most people will visit to catch up on more than one reply, it's best to look here anyway rather than by email. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ped said:

The PM ones do, but we had some problems with the latter. As most people will visit to catch up on more than one reply, it's best to look here anyway rather than by email. 

Fair enough. It was simply that I'm constantly on email and I could see topic replies and decide whether I needed to go to Basschat right away or not. (If that makes sense?!).

PM's - the only PM's I found in my email were from a fair few years ago. There was only the link back to BC, not the message itself. Maybe an earlier configuration? No matter - it was so long ago, I can't remember what they were about anyway. :D

• Thanks 1

Is it just me, but I find this new site very difficult to read. I've increased size to 110% and compared with TalkBass and some other forums and the text is on the faint side. Not everyone is a millennial with 20 something eyes. This is text from another forum "Any opinions, thoughts, or first hand experiences would be welcome!"

Just now, Tech21NYC said:

Is it just me, but I find this new site very difficult to read. I've increased size to 110% and compared with TalkBass and some other forums and the text is on the faint side. Not everyone is a millennial with 20 something eyes. This is text from another forum "Any opinions, thoughts, or first hand experiences would be welcome!"

On my mobile, the quoted text looks smaller, but with a light blue background highlight...

@ped Has 'Make a Donation' been thrown out with the bath water? I looked in Shop -  Marketplace Subscriptions, where there appears to be a spare slot that could in my mind - be a very good place for 'Donations' I may not be not alone in not wanting to advertise anything in the marketplace at the moment, but would be up for a straightforward donation.

Cheerz, John

2 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

@ped Has 'Make a Donation' been thrown out with the bath water? I looked in Shop -  Marketplace Subscriptions, where there appears to be a spare slot that could in my mind - be a very good place for 'Donations' I may not be not alone in not wanting to advertise anything in the marketplace at the moment, but would be up for a straightforward donation.

Cheerz, John

Hi John

Thats very kind of you - to be honest I think it was a problem to ask for donations alongside products for some reason (legal) but I could be wrong. I’ll have to look into it. I don’t see why it would be a problem. You could buy a marketplace sub even if you don’t use it, you never know though (and a £7 sub stays ready for you to use whenever)

I shall pop it on my list though, thanks

ped

First-world problem, but when I sign in anonymously, I'm not anonymous... my name is visible in 'Who's Online' on page 1 and in 'Recently Browsing' at the bottom of each thread. Kind of like lurking and moving around undetected, or at least undetected by anyone who's not an admin or mod... :)

But overall the site is working much better for me. It's faster with fewer error messages, which is what you'd expect really.

Just now, discreet said:

First-world problem, but when I sign in anonymously, I'm not anonymous... my name is visible in 'Who's Online' on page 1 and in 'Recently Browsing' at the bottom of each thread. Kind of like lurking and moving around undetected, or at least undetected by anyone who's not an admin or mod... :)

But overall the site is working much better for me. It's faster with fewer error messages, which is what you'd expect really.

Only you can see it ??