Why become a member? ×

Site Bugs - List them here

BigRedX

Question

I can't see a thread for reporting general site bugs and other weirdness, so I thought it might be a good idea to list them all in one place. If one does already exist, please merge this thread with it.

1. New posts don't always bump a thread up to the top of the list in a forum. I've seen this happen twice this morning, where someone had replied to a thread, but it still is in the place in the thread list where it was before the new post was made. Is this just a side effect of Basschat currently being slow in general or something different?

2. Marking content as read. There is an inconsistency in how this works. If I click the "Mark forum as read" text at the top of a forum listing I get a warning dialog box pop up asking me if I am sure. However if I mark a forum as read by clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon next to it the the forums list then there is no warning. IMO either the warning should apply to both actions, or it should only apply to clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon as this is easier to do by mistake.

3. No full editor for those of us who like to be a bit more creative with our BB tags and layout.

4. PMs from the old site have not migrated over. I can't remember seeing anything specific in the site migration threads that said "all you old PMs will be lost when the new version of the site goes live"

I'm sure there will be more to come...

9 minutes ago, ped said:

Your opinions have been noted, please try and keep it constructive. I thought you were off far a few weeks?

I am being constructive! I'm giving you an opinion as someone who has been responsible for migrating a platform used by 1000's....

And it's taken me 3 attempts to post this message.....

Screenshot from 2017-11-14 11-46-56.png

Edited by clivem

1 minute ago, clivem said:

I am being constructive! I'm giving you an opinion as someone who has been responsible for migrating a platform used by 1000's....

And it's taken me 3 attempts to post this message.....

Screenshot from 2017-11-14 11-46-56.png

Thanks, we have all those (you post them elsewhere, too).

We'll fix it, so don't worry. Just give us time - we do also work actual jobs :)

20 minutes ago, ahpook said:

The site's so slow for me it's pretty much unusable...I waited about 3 mins to be able to post this reply.

And it's not a bug as such, but I don't like the new layout - acres and acres of white space and endless scrolling. I know I don't have a wall-sized monitor but the old site was much more compact - has the site discovered my age and enabled Large Print Mode ? :)

Thought it was just me who is finding the wider layout difficult, it's like watching a tennis match because I'm constantly turning my head left and right to read the posts, lol

And the quotes all over the page are driving me mad as its making it hard to make any sense of the posts.

The only reason I've logged on today is to see if others are experiencing the same problems, it's taken ages to get past all the "fatal error" messages to get this far.

Please don't think I am having a moan, I really do appreciate all the hard work that goes into running this forum, but I think its important to point out any problems we are experiencing our end so they can be fixed.

Below are a couple of screenshots of what I am seeing:

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Screen Shot 2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Machines said:

Why are you still here then.

I think that's a bit unfair. Many of us are of the "more mature" age group, and have been using BC for years. We didn't ask for the changes, but are generally quite happy to ride with them until we get used to them. that is difficult and frustrating at the moment due to the problems. Making this an ad hominem argument and suggesting that members  "set up their own forum" is a bit childish and unhelpful. We understand that the problems must be frustrating for the forum staff as well, but there is no need to take the criticisms personally...:(

4 minutes ago, Conan said:

I think that's a bit unfair. Many of us are of the "more mature" age group, and have been using BC for years. We didn't ask for the changes, but are generally quite happy to ride with them until we get used to them. that is difficult and frustrating at the moment due to the problems. Making this an ad hominem argument and suggesting that members  "set up their own forum" is a bit childish and unhelpful. We understand that the problems must be frustrating for the forum staff as well, but there is no need to take the criticisms personally...:(

I've been using it for 10 years also. My point is that criticism on it's own is useless "not fit for purpose !!!!" etc. The issues everyone is aware of, but do not get fixed in a few minutes or even hours. This is common from any user base who generally just want everything how it was before, afe resistant to change in general - but are unaware, or more specifically do not care about the detail of how it works.

6 minutes ago, Conan said:

Agreed - as long as people are happy to go with the flow, we'll do everything we can to make the site perfect.

Just chill out and we'll work through it.

9 minutes ago, ped said:

Just chill out and we'll work through it.

@pedI wish you the best of luck, I really do! The conversation I have just had about Invision, (from someone who is "trusted" within the B2B IT community), concerns me..... You've built something here..... I am genuinely concerned that you have put your eggs into the wrong basket. 

1 minute ago, clivem said:

@pedI wish you the best of luck, I really do! The conversation I have just had about Invision, (from someone who is "trusted" within the B2B IT community), concerns me..... You've built something here..... I am genuinely concerned that you have put your eggs into the wrong basket. 

I really like the software, and happy others do too - the problem isn't software related from what we can see so far. 

FYI If we moved from Invision to vBulletin we'd have basically have to start from scratch, or write even more complicated scripts to import from one to the other, causing even more formatting problems - so you can imagine why we stayed with Invision (as well as preferring it)

Now I realise what's going on I'm happy to let the mods deal with the problems, they'll get there I'm sure. Stop criticising and let them get on with it.^_^

(it is a bit of a pi$$er losing all my emails, like John I needed to keep some of mine)

• Thanks 1

A couple of new bugs/questions:

1. Have signatures been banished? I just went into my profile to restore the information lost during the migration, and I can't see an option for setting a signature. This also leads me on to my second question:

2. Are you making more features available as time goes on? Earlier I tried to turn off notifications for when someone quotes me (if I've posted in a thread I'm likely to come back to it so I don't need a notification for this), and couldn't find any way to do this. However when I looked again just now there was a whole extra set of options further down on the page that hadn't been there before. Have these just been enabled or was more likely that there was a problem loading the complete page earlier? 

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

A couple of new bugs/questions:

1. Have signatures been banished? I just went into my profile to restore the information lost during the migration, and I can't see an option for setting a signature. This also leads me on to my second question:

2. Are you making more features available as time goes on? Earlier I tried to turn off notifications for when someone quotes me (if I've posted in a thread I'm likely to come back to it so I don't need a notification for this), and couldn't find any way to do this. However when I looked again just now there was a whole extra set of options further down on the page that hadn't been there before. Have these just been enabled or was more likely that there was a problem loading the complete page earlier? 

1. They're on the list to re-enable. I though we had, actually, but we're aware. The system is off by default on those I think.

2. Probably a loading error. The options have been the same since the start though we've changed the defaults. Everything is here http://www.basschat.co.uk/notifications/options/ we hope you'll find them far more comprehensive than before.

9 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Is location visible from a mobile platform?

How to switch to "full version" on mobile?

Where is the bump button on mobile? 

1 - On the list. It will be, or we'll make it a mandatory field when placing an advert.

2 - Depending on your mobile you can rate it to landscape, but the mobile version is in fact the same thing as the full site just squished down. What did you want to do that you can't in the mobile interface? We'll add it as an option anyway but you could also try the 'load desktop site' option on your device.

3 - We're still fixing that, so watch this space!

All good - I've started to clear out the shed.

One small point. . . in the profile, the currently viewing field isn't being cleared when we stop viewing something. It still lists us as viewing the last topic, even when we've come out of it.

6 minutes ago, ped said:

1. They're on the list to re-enable. I though we had, actually, but we're aware. The system is off by default on those I think.

2. Probably a loading error. The options have been the same since the start though we've changed the defaults. Everything is here http://www.basschat.co.uk/notifications/options/ we hope you'll find them far more comprehensive than before.

Thanks. There seem to be a lot of loading errors at the moment. It took me 4 goes to see your post at the end of this thread and I only persisted because I knew it was there. For other pages like the profile editor and notifications settings, we've no way of knowing if the page has loaded completely or not.

One final request: Is it possible to go back to square avatars (or have the shape as a user option)? It's all a bit Facebook-alike (and personally I think they look crap on Facebook). If I wanted a round avatar I could fake it from a square one, but I can't make a square one from round without it being tiny.