Why become a member? ×

Site Bugs - List them here

BigRedX

Question

I can't see a thread for reporting general site bugs and other weirdness, so I thought it might be a good idea to list them all in one place. If one does already exist, please merge this thread with it.

1. New posts don't always bump a thread up to the top of the list in a forum. I've seen this happen twice this morning, where someone had replied to a thread, but it still is in the place in the thread list where it was before the new post was made. Is this just a side effect of Basschat currently being slow in general or something different?

2. Marking content as read. There is an inconsistency in how this works. If I click the "Mark forum as read" text at the top of a forum listing I get a warning dialog box pop up asking me if I am sure. However if I mark a forum as read by clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon next to it the the forums list then there is no warning. IMO either the warning should apply to both actions, or it should only apply to clicking the "Speech Bubble" icon as this is easier to do by mistake.

3. No full editor for those of us who like to be a bit more creative with our BB tags and layout.

4. PMs from the old site have not migrated over. I can't remember seeing anything specific in the site migration threads that said "all you old PMs will be lost when the new version of the site goes live"

I'm sure there will be more to come...

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

4. PMs from the old site have not migrated over. I can't remember seeing anything specific in the site migration threads that said "all you old PMs will be lost when the new version of the site goes live"

Same for attachments

The place is still slow.

Getting 503 errors regularly when trying to access the site

I had a 'Fatal error' yesterday - a screenshot of which i already posted.

Everything is extremely slow and I keep getting locked out (some error message, which I will copy next time it happens). Sending PMs today seems to be very difficult - which is frustrating when trying to sell and buy things...

Edit - it's just happened again, and it is an "Error 522" apparently. Losing the will to live here and unable to PM someone about a pedal they have for sale...

Edited by Conan

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

I'm probably doing something stupid but I find it incredibly easy to duplicate posts

That might be because the site is rather slow at the moment. My current strategy for all posts is to copy everything I've typed before hitting the "Post" or "Reply" buttons and then waiting for a response from the site before doing anything else. IME if you wait long enough the post will eventually appear. If the site does throw a wobbly you will have everything you typed still on the clipboard so you can simply paste it into a new reply.

• Like 1

I'm gutted about the PMs being lost, 8 years of stuff out the window and I never saw any mention pr warning of this happening, even if we had warning who has time to sort through 8 years of stuff to see what's wanted - until you need it then find it's gone.

Now I find my profile is empty apart from birth date!

What's this 'Members total reputation'? Seriously thought I would score more than 1 !

19 minutes ago, Twigman said:

What was so broken about that old place that someone felt the need to 'fix' it?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Please feel free to setup your own forum.

It is quite normal for platforms to need replacing and there are always issues on go live even with UAT correctly carried out. It is not possible to carry out a test on the system with userload in place. Bear in mind this website is free to use, and not free to run.

The site's so slow for me it's pretty much unusable...I waited about 3 mins to be able to post this reply.

And it's not a bug as such, but I don't like the new layout - acres and acres of white space and endless scrolling. I know I don't have a wall-sized monitor but the old site was much more compact - has the site discovered my age and enabled Large Print Mode ? :)

21 minutes ago, Machines said:

Please feel free to setup your own forum.

It is quite normal for platforms to need replacing and there are always issues on go live even with UAT correctly carried out. It is not possible to carry out a test on the system with userload in place. Bear in mind this website is free to use, and not free to run.

It works so well you posted it twice.

:rolleyes:

It's broken, very broken - not fit for purpose

6 minutes ago, Machines said:

You missed my point. No complex IT systems work 100% upon deployment. This is my day job.

Not being funny... if you think that BC is a complex IT system....

Anyway, good luck with the get well process all. You'll get it nailed shortly I'm sure :)

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

Not being funny... if you think that BC is a complex IT system....

Anyway, good luck with the get well process all. You'll get it nailed shortly I'm sure :)

It isn't exactly Access97 is it ? It is complex in terms of multiple dependencies and this is a move of both software version and hosting platform. 

IMHO, this has already crossed the line, where if I was the IT manager, I'd revert this pile of steaming doo-doo, go back to the old software, until such a time as a proper migration can be done, to something "fit for purpose", like vBulletin. ;)

• Like 1

We'll get there guys - please just be patient. If it's really unbearable for you please give us a couple of days and check back?

BTW the forum isn't complicated at all, it's all due to how incompatible the old software was. So this was only going to be more difficult the longer we left it.

There was a definite need to upgrade, a subject I posted about in the 'Please Read' forum on the old forum which apparently some didn't read.

Just now, clivem said:

IMHO, this has already crossed the line, where if I was the IT manager, I'd revert this pile of steaming doo-doo, go back to the old software, until such a time as a proper migration can be done, to something "fit for purpose", like vBulletin. ;)

Your opinions have been noted, please try and keep it constructive. I thought you were off far a few weeks?

1 minute ago, clivem said:

Not if the software is EOL or out of support with the vendor you wouldn't. Security risks come into the scope here too.

Rolling back doesn't always help, and the rollback for this would be too slow - working on this issues in a live environment with proper user load is more useful.

1 minute ago, clivem said:

Not if the software is EOL or out of support with the vendor you wouldn't. Security risks come into the scope here too.

Rolling back doesn't always help, and the rollback for this would be too slow - working on this issues in a live environment with proper user load is more useful.

Lets keep this real - it's not as if the Air Traffic Control systems have gone off line.

If people can't live without BC, they have a serious addiction. Maybe they should seek some help!

Machines - I think your understanding of a complex IT system is still whack though.

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Lets keep this real - it's not as if the Air Traffic Control systems have gone off line.

If people can't live without BC, they have a serious addiction. Maybe they should seek some help!

Machines - I think your understanding of a complex IT system is still whack though.

I used to administrate the IT systems for an airport.