Why become a member? ×

Posters - photoshop etc aargh..

redbandit599

Hi all

When I first did the band posters I drew them by hand and photocopied them - I'm now trying to do something a bit more up to date and use Photoshop (the missus has the Elements package)

I'd like to be able to do what I think should be pretty straightforward, just copy and paste one image on top of another - stick a border around it - add some text. I see lots of bands doing stuff that looks quite good like this and also making images for their events to share of Facebook etc.

I'm not completely tech illiterate but this leaves me stumped and all the Facebook tutorials I've looked at always seem to have something a bit different, or miss a bit I need (like resizing/moving the image to fit  once you've superimposed it etc.) Anyone know of a good luddites guide before I get my quill and parchment out again?

Cheers

Jason

Photoshop works on the principle of LAYERS - imagine rectangular sheets of paper or acetate which you can only pile on top of each other, not cut into shapes. You have to open each file you want to add to a new "canvas", and once they are all open in Photoshop, you "duplicate" each file into your new canvas/image, then resize and move/tilt the duplicates as needed in the new canvas, and forget about the original files. It's very easy and quick, much better than any clumsy mobile app or free software, once you get the hang of it.

3 minutes ago, nightsun said:

I can also heartily recommend Gimp, I've been using it for years for design work.  Much cheaper than Photoshop as well ;-)

I heard that too, tried it and couldn't get along with it at all. But worth learning to use it if you want to avoid shelling out for Photoshop. I recently bought Elements 15 (which isn't the latest version but it's recent enough to do the job) and it was around £70, which I believe was well worth paying.

Thanks both - Silvia, I get the principal of the layers and have even cut out sections of pictures and created shadow layers and stuff.

Getting them onto another background ( even just getting another image on the same page) has eluded me though. Resizing and moving the cut out bit also not happening.

Any directions to simple instructions welcome, but after 2 frustrating hours with it last night - I think it might not be for me! ?

On 14/11/2017 at 16:10, BigRedX said:

The thing is... Photoshop isn't really intended for doing complete design in. It's primary function is for manipulating pixel-based images. Everything else is an after-thought for which there are other applications that do the job far, far better.

Was going to say the same thing.

we use InDesign, but I appreciate he creative cloud is pretty expensive.

Canva is a great little package if you’re looking for something simple, free and intuitive.

I've got an age-old version of Photoshop CS3...now, I know people will say it's only for this and that, but ultimately isn't it about using your own creativity and squeezing as much out of your software as possible?  Everything I've done with images, from logos, CD covers and labels, flyers, posters, banners etc. it's all been with this package.

I understand everyone has their preferences and I think if I was coming into this game from scratch, I'd be asking questions as well, BUT for the odd one-off, get someone else to do it for you as Adobe's pricing structure is mental.

Edited by NancyJohnson

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've got an age-old version of Photoshop CS3...now, I know people will say it's only for this and that, but ultimately isn't it about using your own creativity and squeezing as much out of your software as possible?  Everything I've done with images, from logos, CD covers and labels, flyers, posters, banners etc. it's all been with this package.

Agree with this. I'm a graphic designer and while designing a poster in photoshop isn't something I would do - you can do it!

7 hours ago, discreet said:

I liked InkScape. It does vector graphics too if I remember rightly, so you can size stuff up without it pixellating all over the place.

Yep, vector graphics... and free! A combination of Gimp and InkScape cover most bases and don't cost a penny. They may have their little quirks, but it saves paying a mortgage to the Adobe money machine

On 19/11/2017 at 10:17, Happy Jack said:

Just as a matter of interest, do any graphic designer Basschatters offer a (paid for) poster design service?

Sounds like there might be a market, if the price is right.

I design all the posters, CD artwork, packaging, T-shirts etc for my band and would be more than happy to help people if they need assistance! :D

I'm no expert, but I do try and make striking designs which catch the eye.

If interested, drop me a PM. Happy to help with posters, flyers, booklet design, copywriting and all that good stuff.

Edited by progben
  • Like 1

Jack's question was generic, because we do all of our posters, flyers and images in-house, so to speak, and we are in the fortunate position not to need external services. But since enquiries about posters and flyers have appeared in the past on this forum, it's good to know we can refer any future ones to you. :)