Why become a member? ×

New to forum Framus info please :)

Happybeaver

Hi

Just signed up to this forum to ask a question.

I'm a Drummer so you will understand my ignorance....

However I spawned a son who happens to be a very good bass player and he was given a bass guitar that a elderly neighbour had in her loft.

we've worked out its a framus star bass but cant really match it to anything online exactly...maybe its been modified at some point in its life?

The question is basically is it worth anything in its current state?

Is it worth restoring and at what cost roughly?

and excuse the blurry images.

Thanks in advance.

Jim 

20170710_172952.jpg

20170711_131702.jpg

Framus were contemporary with Hofner's great days in the early 60s. McCartney played a Hofner, Wyman played a Framus.

In perfect nick, a vintage Star Bass might be worth a bit, perhaps even as much as a grand (that would be seriously toppy though).

Yours is nowhere near perfect nick and you're probably looking at a few hundred.

As with all these valuation questions, I'm happy to be proved wrong. Just don't order that swimming pool just yet.

Judging from the pickup placement, by modern standards that bass will sound boomy as fork. I am not sure your son will be happy with how it sounds and handles...

Parts are hard to come by but you could try https://shop.warwick.de/en/Parts+for+Instruments/Framus+Spare+Parts

In good shape it is worth a couple hundred max. I am afraid the old Framus basses are not very popular.