Why become a member? ×

Pigtronix Mothership 2 Analog Guitar Synth

GisserD

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

where did you order it from? 

Bax music

Based on the continent but their prices are very comparible to UK with free shipping. I usually use them for hard to find stuff. Their customer service is very good.

50 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Bax music

Based on the continent but their prices are very comparible to UK with free shipping. I usually use them for hard to find stuff. Their customer service is very good.

Is it this one? https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/

If so, that’s useful to know as they have the Behringer Minimoog clone listed (though not in stock yet).

50 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I like that a lot!

+1 from me!

I love the fact that this:

- is analogue and claims to have world's fastest pitch-tracking circuit

- has THREE analogue oscillators (Triangle, Square and Suboctave)

- could be an awesome octave pedal

I don't like that:

- it's 18V and 300mA

- it costs £250!

Two Qs @GisserD i) do you have a SA Manta? If so, what more is this offering than that? ii) how low will it track on the Suboctave without glitching. If gets down to a low E, I want it!

Really looking forward to your feedback when you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

+1 from me!

I love the fact that this:

- is analogue and claims to have world's fastest pitch-tracking circuit

- has THREE analogue oscillators (Triangle, Square and Suboctave)

- could be an awesome octave pedal

I don't like that:

- it's 18V and 300mA

- it costs £250!

Two Qs @GisserD i) do you have a SA Manta? If so, what more is this offering than that? ii) how low will it track on the Suboctave without glitching. If gets down to a low E, I want it!

Really looking forward to your feedback when you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

Agreed. £250 is alot to drop, but if it' as good as I hear on the demos, I can sell at least 2 expensive pedals I have to offset the cost.

Im still looking for that fat punchy synth tone. I' hoping this might be the one. The future impact came close but wasnt user friendly and it' huuuge! 

18v bothered me too but I have a voltage doubler cable and can use my high current outputs on pp2+.

I have a manta and it dosent come close to what the pm2 is aiming at. The Manta is predominantly a nearly infinity controllable filter with a distortion thrown in. This can achieve synth like sounds, but its not fat like a synth, and its not a real synth as in generated from waveform oscilators. And it' digital.

The pm2 dosent have a filter or distortion. It' a real analogue synth. If it tracks well and has big subs like the demo... well I'll be a happy boy. 

I love the fact I can separate the sub and could send just the top through a filter then mix the 2. Add a meatbox into the mix and stick a fork in me coz I'm done. 

I just hope the tone in my head is achievable with this. If it' not, I reckon it will sell pretty easily on the fore sale section, so I reckon it' worth a punt regardless.

Edited by GisserD
fat thumbs on phone edit

Cool. Sounds awesome! Which two pedals will you be able to move on if this turns out to be as good as you hope it'll be? Are you currently in a band - if so what music are you looking to use this in?

PS I take it you chose this above the FMeron? Was that a possible contender - I appreciate that's digital rather than analogue, but it did look very versatile and turned quite a few heads on the Quats' thread.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

I love the fact you can get away with phrases like ‘this tone in my head’ on here, in the real world people would call you nuts!

its not in my head anymore... its in the 1st 18 secs of the video posted at the top of this thread. and played on a guitar no less!

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Cool. Sounds awesome! Which two pedals will you be able to move on if this turns out to be as good as you hope it'll be? Are you currently in a band - if so what music are you looking to use this in?

PS I take it you chose this above the FMeron? Was that a possible contender - I appreciate that's digital rather than analogue, but it did look very versatile and turned quite a few heads on the Quats' thread.

Id get rid of the T16 octave, Mastotron fuzz and eq pedal which i use to take the top off the fuzz. and my rewitch Zeus would also be in the firing line.... but i love it too much, its so shiny! :crazy:

Yeah i play in an originals funk band which strays into hip-hop and dubstep territory occasionally. And also a soul band with elements of roots and ska. I also play dubstep, but thats a recording project only

Yes the FMeron is also on my radar but the PM2 seems a little more flexible with its scope of sounds and the sub out on the PM" is an absolute win for me. And its analog so its obviously better :D And the FMeron might be £250+??? by the time you get it through customs. however the truth is..... ill probably own both one day. 

Edited by GisserD

Marvellous. And not helpful in terms of pedal GAS!

@GisserD  it would be great to see you in action - so if you have any uploaded links you can post to your funk and soul bands, would be grand. I love both genres. (Btw I'm interested that you would be selling your COG T16 and not your T65, or have you moved that on already?!)

Ok - I'm trying to get some sort of order into my "filter / synth / related" pedal GAS chaos (and happy to get a steer from wiser heads!) I think what I've understood is that:

The Pigtronix M2 is an analogue alternative to the digital FMeron; if I got either of these I probably wouldn't need to get the Scrutator bit crusher in terms of additional tonal colour (the bit crusher is going to be a lot more limited / one trick pony in what it can do).

The SA Manta is one of the most flexible filters on the planet and certainly one of the best value. Folk often say they have difficulty in dialing in a 70s funk wah sound on the Manta and go for a more 'traditional' filter for this (in my case the Aggie FT, which actually is great in a band mix and was getting admiring looks in Wunjos from other bass players when we were trying it out on Sat). 

Conclusions:

If I'm getting a final filter pedal then PM2 is looking like a great choice (and I'm kinda glad that the FMeron guy didn't want to give us a discount for a bulk order otherwise he would have had my cash by now!)

The SA Manta is staying, for sure, and if I manage to get it to deliver a great 70s funk wah, then I may be able to move my Aggie FT on in due course. 

Does that sound vaguely logical / sensible?

Edited by Al Krow

Ok I've succumbed (any vague semblance of resistance didn't last long at all did it)!

Decided to go for the PM2 instead of the FMeron (or the Malekko Scrutator bit crusher), as my last ever "filter / synth / other" pedal (for now) and just pulled the trigger with Bax music. 

Darren I'm laying the blame entirely at your door for this one... :drinks:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Ok I've succumbed (any vague semblance of resistance didn't last long at all did it)!

Decided to go for the PM2 instead of the FMeron (or the Malekko Scrutator bit crusher), as my last ever "filter / synth / other" pedal (for now) and just pulled the trigger with Bax music. 

Last pedal…haha, as if!

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

oops!  :D  :D That was some fast acting GAS! maybe we should see the doctor!

Edited by GisserD

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That Mothership demo is fantastic. The ring mod demo is mental.

I was a little underwhelmed by the MS demo to be honest. I would like to see a video with faster lines to demonstrate the purported superior tracking. The last sound is one that it possible on the Subterranea.

I really need to try one. Isn’t Juno Records in London? Cameron and Bas, you could check one out there. 

I'm with Q on this one - not seen / heard anything so far that makes me think: 'yup, that is going to be amazing in a band mix'. Definitely glad I backed out of getting one new at the end of last year, due to slow supplies! I'll maybe pick it up third hand after Cameron's bought it off Mr Gisser in Cam's 2018 Black Friday sale...:) 

• Haha 1

Anyone know how this compares to the older Mothership? Bought one second hand on here last year and was really impressed with it. Crazy sounds, good sub octave, and it tracked better than I thought it would. Apart from the smaller footprint, what's different about this one?