Why become a member? ×

Valve Preamp and DI

tobiewharton

Evening all,

I'm not a technical chap, as some of you know, so please excuse any outlandish gaffs in the following...

I'm after a valve preamp with a DI. Current chain is effects into a GK MB500 and GK Neos (the theory being that I can keep it transparent and colour with effects), always with PA support. I'd love a valve preamp (primarily for character, rather than overdrive) without buying a valve head - is this achievable in a pedal? I'd also like a DI in the same unit, particularly for use with in-ears and to have the option of travelling extra light. It would be useful if a pedal could also be bypassed so I can keep it on the pedalboard. Footprint doesn't matter.

Are there options that will fit the bill? Alternatively, are they DIYable by people in the know? None of this is essential so don't want to spend a fortune.

Cheers,

Tobie

Having the GK Mb500, you are one step away from the Mb Fusion which is everything you ask for in one box :) - You can run that without a cabinet as a stand alone preamplifier/DI too :) - But of course there is a cost implication. I'd love to try the MB800 Fusion, that'd be nice.

Of course you have mentioned your pedalboard, so maybe something like the EBS Valve Drive? The downside in buying a valve DI is that as soon as you mention the word 'valve' the price goes up, so unfortunately you might not get something pedalboard worthy and cheap at the same time.

1 hour ago, tobiewharton said:

Cheers fellows. Both look great, but perhaps the Two Notes is a bit of overkill. Nice to see the British-built DHA stuff. Great that there are options. What about building? Doable for those who dabble in pedal construction?

A tube preamp/DI isn't a simple job, chances are if a pedal builder has put the time in to design one....and it's good....it will likely  be available as a product (like DHA). 

Si