Why become a member? ×

‘72 style P Bass Kit Build finally FINISHED!!!

Jimothey

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Looks great, love a tele bass.

I thought I’d go for the 70’s Style pickguard as most I’ve seen on here are with the 50’s style with chrome control plate, so I thought it would be a bit of a change

Hopefully I’ll get it routed and painted in the next week or so and flatten off the neck and give it a good ole polish 

I’m seriously considering sanding the neck back to maple instead of walnut stained as I’m not too sure if it looks that nice!?!

What does everyone think about the walnut stain should it stay or or should it go now???.......(sorry I’m listening to the Clash whilst writing this)

A1102153-5F94-4B4F-B6D4-424EB5B41D38.thumb.jpeg.494aeb692116daa26ef7990e415f631c.jpeg

Edited by Jimothey

5 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

2 for maple ;)

I sanded through when flattening off the face of the headstock so I’ll have to refinish it anyway 

I just think with the cream pickguard and red body, maple would tie it together better??

Right I best grease up my elbows and get the sandpaper out!!..... I really need to make a plan and stick to it xD

Blimey, this is looking good! Not sure I've seen a pickguard of that sort of shape before.

It'll be a shame to see that walnut finish disappear but red + maple is a killer combo, especially if you're going with a cream pickguard! What kind of hardware are you thinking? Chrome?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

Blimey, this is looking good! Not sure I've seen a pickguard of that sort of shape before.

It'll be a shame to see that walnut finish disappear but red + maple is a killer combo, especially if you're going with a cream pickguard! What kind of hardware are you thinking? Chrome?

Yeah all chrome hardware 

The pickguard is in the style of a ‘72 ish tele bass I don’t think they were as popular as the 51/55 style 

I did have my heart set in a walnut stained neck but I’ve primered the body (red) and it just didn’t look right so it’s gonna be some work but I think it will be worth it in the end taking the neck back to maple 

Just a quick mock up the body is just primered

I had a incident with the routing of the pickups my cheap flush trim bit broke the bearing exploded (lesson to be learned here the router bit was cheap for a reason!!!) so it broke out a couple of bits next to the pickup lugs and the router kicked taking a chunk out aswell

So I’m going to rout out bigger and fill the cavity again with timber then re-rout them again 

353331D2-534F-4F51-8541-9EA13D9B63FF.thumb.jpeg.7923ce968b3b2b88a4834ff3cbd77e8a.jpeg

I cant decide whether to put a side jack in or put it on the face??? I’m swaying more towards the side jack as I like just the two knobs on the front

Edited by Jimothey

Bummer about the router bit. Still...onwards and upwards. The body looks good, so it should still look good after the reparations. 

Personally, I would go for a side jack. I have always seen front-mounted jacks as accidents waiting to happen. Also, side jacks are cooler (but I cannot see why I seem to think this).

Whether using top or side mounted sockets... 90-degree cable plugs seem a must to me. Normal cable just make me nervous that something/someone will eventually hit it bending it and possibly damaging the socket. Clearly not too much of an issue as most people do just fine without... but that's my take on it.

• Like 2

@mcnach I was just thinking from the aesthetics point of view but that is a good point about 90 degree cables also a few people I know put the cable loop the through the strap at the bottom button to stop the cable being knocked or pulled out which seems a good idea as well

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

@mcnach I was just thinking from the aesthetics point of view but that is a good point about 90 degree cables also a few people I know put the cable loop the through the strap at the bottom button to stop the cable being knocked or pulled out which seems a good idea as well

I do both on my P-Bass.  90 degree cable and through the strap.  I broke the scratchplate on my first bass, a 90's P-Bass copy by using a straight jack and standing on the cable.  I learnt very quickly from that one!:)

5 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Both. I just wish there were more cables with angled plugs on both ends because I like to do the same with my pedalboard amd amp

9 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I do both... I always loop because you never know when someone is going to step on the cable... it gives you a little slack that can prevent damage.

3 hours ago, Norris said:

Both. I just wish there were more cables with angled plugs on both ends because I like to do the same with my pedalboard amd amp

I buy mine to order... easy to specify what ends to use :)

(I could make them but I'm lazy for cables)

Finally got time to sanding off the walnut stain of the neck

DB0B4EEE-99A7-4DA1-896B-25D2FAB45266.thumb.jpeg.be4239754b227f6fd9463f1c7a80c4dd.jpeg

1 1/2 hours later........

E81CA456-C11E-42EF-8743-CC042856341F.thumb.jpeg.477c268e02f59724dc9853396d25b4f3.jpeg77EFEA6D-388E-47E1-B177-D36CFE17D91A.thumb.jpeg.a3777454307297e2a404f687c94265ce.jpeg

It was quite hard work but I think it was worth it, You were all right it definitely looks better maple against the red/cream

A928C943-C650-47A5-B6A1-1BD25114EA4A.thumb.jpeg.7131780894eebd33ebe27552b39fe378.jpegBF045504-AA6C-430B-8745-03A56655CB5F.thumb.jpeg.27cdb5369b98c4706bc4b4010f94dfe1.jpeg

The neck will be a little bit darker after I lacquer it 

Now it’s time to sort out the pickup cavity.......

Edited by Jimothey