Why become a member? ×

‘72 style P Bass Kit Build finally FINISHED!!!

Jimothey

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

Number 3 if you need 2 pickups - a nice balance with the pick guard!

Or maybe just 1 in a Stingray position?

I think you’ve got a point 1 at the bridge is a good idea, I think 2 might be too much 

Edited by Jimothey

4 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

I do like the idea of having one at the neck and one at the bridge, but one in the centre looks lovely and simple and a bit more true to the P roots. You leaning toward just one, but toward the bridge?

Yeah stingray style 

31499ED7-6926-4683-9DAC-90403A273D71.thumb.jpeg.9bcb89ccd71cea681cc0c66db919657d.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Aesthetically, it looks too close to the bridge. I’d shift it neckwards by 4 or 5 cm.

iI have no idea if that is correct sound-wise though!

I think your right it needs to be about half way between where the normal pickups would be and where it is on the picture 

I haven’t got a clue how much of a difference it will make sound wise hopefully someone on here will be able to advise? I’ll do a new thread to see if I can find out?

I know it's the matt effect of the paint but that body looks as if it might be covered in red suede leather.

It'd be an impressive look new but imagine the patina that you'd get after a full year of gigging with one like that! 

My limited knowledge of Fender lineage can recognise the mash-up of eras there.  I avoid playing Fenders for preference.  Frankenbass Fenders are interesting though.  Could it be that I am becoming a FF* fan?

*FF = Frankenbass Fender in this context.  Other contexts are available.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I know it's the matt effect of the paint but that body looks as if it might be covered in red suede leather.

It'd be an impressive look new but imagine the patina that you'd get after a full year of gigging with one like that! 

My limited knowledge of Fender lineage can recognise the mash-up of eras there.  I avoid playing Fenders for preference.  Frankenbass Fenders are interesting though.  Could it be that I am becoming a FF* fan?

*FF = Frankenbass Fender in this context.  Other contexts are available.

I know that I have some odd ideas but not even I would cover it in suede xD

Im not really interested in doing replicas, saying that I want to do a Adam Clayton style Streamer but it will be in the style of not a exact copy 

As this build isnt an expensive one I thought let’s try something a bit different 

The idea of a FF appeal to me as my builds go wherever the wind takes me but I’m sure the pure blood fender owners think it’s a travesty :D

Edited by Jimothey

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I shouldn't worry.  If no-one kicked their kennels from time to time they'd pine away and the vet would have to be called in.  It keeps them on their toes.

It’s all a bit of fun anyway I’m not making £3k guitars or anything 

But my next planned build might be considered a bit unconventional but I won’t spoil the surprise just yet not that it’s really exciting

Edited by Jimothey

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

But my next planned build might be considered a bit unconventional but I won’t spoil the surprise just yet not that it’s really exciting

Scrap that last bit I’ve done some research and it’s not really that unconventional, I’m going to make the body out of Pine which I know will get lots of disapproving comments but hey ho it’s worth a go!!:D

12 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I shouldn't worry.  If no-one kicked their kennels from time to time they'd pine away and the vet would have to be called in.  It keeps them on their toes.

9 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Scrap that last bit I’ve done some research and it’s not really that unconventional, I’m going to make the body out of Pine which I know will get lots of disapproving comments but hey ho it’s worth a go!!:D

Having inspired you with my facetious remark I fully expect a cut of the manufacturing royalties when you make your first 10k.

Heeheehee.  Why knot?

26 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Having inspired you with my facetious remark I fully expect a cut of the manufacturing royalties when you make your first 10k.

Heeheehee.  Why knot?

Knot a problem I’ll need to contact my lawyer Douglas fir the royalty contract, it’s quite a standard contract but I’ll get him to spruce it up a bit for you

9 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Well, I've joined the same club with making a body out of oak in the present build.  In luthier circles, that puts me into the category of plagues of locusts and generations of social exclusion xD

Tom's African Build (there's a tortuously long thread in the archives) taught me that the body can pretty much be made out of anything, providing you've got a decent neck and anchorage ;)

We all look forward to seeing this one finished and the next one revealed :D

29 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well, I've joined the same club with making a body out of oak in the present build.  In luthier circles, that puts me into the category of plagues of locusts and generations of social exclusion xD

Tom's African Build (there's a tortuously long thread in the archives) taught me that the body can pretty much be made out of anything, providing you've got a decent neck and anchorage ;)

We all look forward to seeing this one finished and the next one revealed :D

I’m waiting for pickups for this one so I’m probably going to start cutting the body for the next one (it’s going to be a Warwick Streamer inspired build with bolt on neck) 

(I’m getting ready to duck and cover!!) But I don’t buy into the whole tonewood thing audibly the difference is negligible and what you can and can’t use to build a guitar at the end of the day Warwick and Fender used pine (Carolena) for bodies and more companies are making bodies of pine and Brian Mays guitar was made from a Oak fireplace 

44 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

When I saw the pic of the 3 configurations you were thinking about, this was the one I thought you should go for...

I thought that would give the best of both worlds roughly stingray and original P bass positions....

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

I’m waiting for pickups for this one so I’m probably going to start cutting the body for the next one (it’s going to be a Warwick Streamer inspired build with bolt on neck) 

(I’m getting ready to duck and cover!!) But I don’t buy into the whole tonewood thing audibly the difference is negligible and what you can and can’t use to build a guitar at the end of the day Warwick and Fender used pine (Carolena) for bodies and more companies are making bodies of pine and Brian Mays guitar was made from a Oak fireplace 

Sacrilege.  I thank you for it.

It is no harm to dispel these precious notions from time to time as there are advances in materials, technology and the knowledge of how to use them.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2018 at 22:04, Jimothey said:

Dumb-dumb over here (me) thought you already had a body ready to go, whoops! Is that red body just a template? Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, pine can be a great wood and (mostly) pretty nice to work with - although I've only used it for tables, drawers etc!