Why become a member? ×

‘72 style P Bass Kit Build finally FINISHED!!!

Jimothey

6 hours ago, Jimothey said:

For some reason I couldn’t get the pickguard etc to fill on Inkscape but this will give you a rough idea B7F1C2F6-8003-49A1-8421-D278ED23B7D0.thumb.jpeg.bbe398309657c85c92de2152def4f85d.jpeg

Pickguard still Black and section of headstock with 1 tuner hole black and the rest Cream 

I like the curve but I'd have it on a matching black plate extended to cover the truss rod access.  The plate could carry an etched graphic to add depth to the design.  Laminated plate would allow you to have colour in the logo.

I'd cut the hole in the plate to clear the machine head nut else the nut would prevent access to the truss rod.  With the mounting screws removed the plate will be loosely retained by the machine head and can be swung around to clear the truss rod adjuster.

54 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I like the curve but I'd have it on a matching black plate extended to cover the truss rod access.  The plate could carry an etched graphic to add depth to the design.  Laminated plate would allow you to have colour in the logo.

I'd cut the hole in the plate to clear the machine head nut else the nut would prevent access to the truss rod.  With the mounting screws removed the plate will be loosely retained by the machine head and can be swung around to clear the truss rod adjuster.

I wasn’t going to put a truss rod cover on it and I was just going to paint the shape on not have a plate, but it’s something to consider.......

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I looked back through the posts on this thread and even though I was against it at first the White with Gold pickguard really has started growing on me so I thought id give it a go

0868B270-E8BF-4395-9AE2-C9914270DDDA.thumb.jpeg.fe553d5bdf6d79c152ce128da04373e0.jpeg 

68B8ECB1-E3AC-4481-B8FC-B3F74B43578D.thumb.jpeg.500dab581d3665b0a8ea96742ef45e84.jpeg

Not sure about the Wooten-esque style headstock now though??........

15 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I looked back through the posts on this thread and even though I was against it at first the White with Gold pickguard really has started growing on me so I thought id give it a go. Not sure about the Wooten-esque style headstock now though??........

Class! I would have gone for vintage white or cream for the body, but it's looking good with the gold guard. My 2p? The headstock should be unpainted but with an amber tint. Overall I'd go for the late 60s/70s vibe. But that's just my opinion, of course. :)

Tele-Bass-Blonde.jpg

Edited by discreet

Just now, discreet said:

Class! I would have gone for vintage white or cream, but it's looking good. My 2p? The headstock should be unpainted but with an amber tint. Overall I'd go for the 70s/early 80s vibe. But that's just my opinion, of course. :)

You could have posted about 5 minutes earlier I’ve just painted the headstock white!! 

E90E02E3-C076-4EBA-A1EB-70246C1621AC.thumb.jpeg.f5c87091ed4f0bc669653d0df30d01b1.jpeg

I wasn’t keen on the Cream/Gold combo so I think I’ll keep it white for the time being but you never know I might change my mind again :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I’ll put it all together tomorrow and see if I’m going to keep the white headstock :D

Good. Matching headstocks are almost always a mistake. They should only appear on Jazz basses - and then only if it's Burgundy Mist.

1 hour ago, discreet said:

Good. Matching headstocks are almost always a mistake. They should only appear on Jazz basses - and then only if it's Burgundy Mist.

Is it all basses or just Fender Style basses?.........

12 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Is it all basses or just Fender Style basses?.........

All basses. Mostly. Spector get away with their black headstock as it's part of their identity. And technically they're non-matching, unless on a black bass...

And if you think that's racist or something, go and live in bloody China! See if I care! :crazy:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I love the white with gold, reminds me of the Gretsch White Falcon. I think it looks very striking without being flash. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

The paint is dry but I’m going to wait till tomorrow to put it together to see how it looks.........

3 hours ago, discreet said:

Well, yes. Maple my personal preference. This is your thing. :)

I’m going to get a maple/maple neck at some point for this build but I’m just going to get it finished with the neck I’ve got for the time being......

Here’s how it looks..........

93091C7E-C2FF-495F-AB5C-294DAA64B45B.thumb.jpeg.202f725685e2bb81884b27802ae10408.jpegAAE6CDEA-8620-48A2-BB06-EFA31952F67C.thumb.jpeg.9736aa603d6290e092f0a4ef8a19e4e5.jpeg

I don’t know whether to keep the matching headstock I kinda like it and it doesn’t really look out of place??, but..... would it look better maple??..........

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimBobTTD said:

That looks well tasty. 

I am not a fan of matching headstocks. 

Thanks 

I think I’m going to keep the white headstock for the time being till I buy my new maple/maple neck :D

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

I say leave this one as-is - looks good!

Save the new neck for a new project!  Ever onwards!

Me too.

It all depends on what else is going on. Add a Fender type maple headstock and you end up with a mishmash of tones. What you have here is a statement provided by the scratchplate, emphasised by the white - including the headstock. I wouldn't touch a thing. It looks splendid :)

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Me too.

It all depends on what else is going on. Add a Fender type maple headstock and you end up with a mishmash of tones. What you have here is a statement provided by the scratchplate, emphasised by the white - including the headstock. I wouldn't touch a thing. It looks splendid :)

Thanks I’m glad I ended up changing my mind so often about colour choices!

The only reason why I thought about changing the neck is because of seeing this one....

C14CBF7C-7BCD-48E6-A495-0D5210F4F2FA.thumb.jpeg.fd2068650d830455cb05aa7bcbee5ad9.jpeg

But the Rosewood is growing on me now, it provides a little bit of contrast with the white body.......:D

6 hours ago, Norris said:

I'm wondering if an offcut of your pickguard, suitably shaped and painted gold, affixed to the headstock (truss rod cover?) might tie it in with the rest of the body a little more 

This sounds like a great idea.