Why become a member? ×

‘72 style P Bass Kit Build finally FINISHED!!!

Jimothey

Just wanted to see whether it all ties in together, 

DF0621EA-4935-4CC4-A403-5E8A4DE58F28.thumb.jpeg.e1e7b4763740f2cb9e752f25fda94567.jpeg

All the hardware is going to be chrome 

I’m still not 100% sure whether to paint the headstock Cream or would it look better Black or should I just leave it Maple???

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Just wanted to see whether it all ties in together, 

DF0621EA-4935-4CC4-A403-5E8A4DE58F28.thumb.jpeg.e1e7b4763740f2cb9e752f25fda94567.jpeg

All the hardware is going to be chrome 

I’m still not 100% sure whether to paint the headstock Cream or would it look better Black or should I just leave it Maple???

Continue the two tone thing?

Why not make a "mini-me" version of the pickguard but fit it to the cream headstock as a kind of tribute to the late Verne Troyer.  If you are fitting a string tree, use it to help fasten the plate down so you have fewer screw heads showing.  Think of it as an extension to the truss rod adjustment cover.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

If it had been a maple board, I'd have stuck with maple headstock, but done like this - which looks great, by the way - definitely cream to match the body for my money  

+1, but I do also like the idea of having a black detail on the headstock, tying in with the body.

This thread is getting my wheels turning! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

+1, but I do also like the idea of having a black detail on the headstock, tying in with the body.

I’m kinda tempted by @SpondonBassed‘s idea of the headstock detail like this sort of thing 

19F58B9F-BF0F-4756-AC23-89607A905553.jpeg.0f1e47f985f96d685c33f33d1486aaa4.jpeg

But I don’t know how it will look on fender-ish shaped headstock tho??

12 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

What I do is get a piece of black paper, then cut out various shapes and try it.  The right one will jump out at you....

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines as that but doing it on Inkscape I’ll give it a go and see what I can come up with.......:D

4 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

And this is where the turning wheels led me:

Idea.png.f71b55481f720ca7a56ededb9cc571b9.png

So I'm thinking basically a Fender/Wal crossover.  Multi-coil pickups and filter preamp, but with P-Bass looks.

So now I'm Gassing for a Bass which doesn't exist, Great! :dash1:

• Haha 1

Just now, LewisK1975 said:

So I'm thinking basically a Fender/Wal crossover.  Multi-coil pickups and filter preamp, but with P-Bass looks.

So put one together! That looks killer, but of course I'd need it to be in vintage white, cream, or TV Yellow. Suh-weet!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

So now I'm Gassing for a Bass which doesn't exist, Great!

Actually the easiest way to do that would be to mod a HB PB-50. The new pickguard would cover the existing pickup rout, so you'd only need to rout for the two new pickups (and new electrics) and solder them in. And reshape the headstock and refinish, which is par for the course. Hmm, now you've got me thinking...

Edited by discreet

1 minute ago, discreet said:

Actually the easiest way to do that would be to mod a HB PB-50. The new pickguard would cover the existing pickup rout, so you'd only need to rout for the two new pickups (and new electrics) and solder them in. And reshape the headstock and refinish, which is par for the course. Hmm, now you've got me thinking...

I actually had an un-modded PB50, one of the 'older' ones with wilkinson hardware.  Sold it just before xmas.  :dash1: :dash1:

7 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

I actually had an un-modded PB50, one of the 'older' ones with wilkinson hardware.  Sold it just before xmas. 

They're not exactly rare. Or unobtainable. Or expensive. ;)

You famously can't buy Wal pickups, but Herrick do this spiffy 8-coil number. Not cheap, but can you imagine what the bass would sound like..?

https://www.herrickpickups.com/products/split-8-coil-mm-humbucker/

I think just one of them, wired and switched for various configurations and with a top-range pre-amp, would be fairly orgasmic.Full-on active electronics versatility but with a vintage look and feel. Does it get any better..? :crazy:

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

I’d be interested in seeing that build!! I was considering for this build putting 2 MM pickups in that position but decided against it in the end now I wish I hadn’t!! >:(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines as that but doing it on Inkscape I’ll give it a go and see what I can come up with.......:D

That them thar new fangled computrickery!

Actually, Inkscape is pretty neat - I used Turbo-cad at one stage but it's just too darned hard for the fairly simple stuff we need in this game.  Inkscape is - for me - just right.  My last build and the one I'm just kicking off were basically designed on it.  Brilliant for trying the 'what if's'...such as the 'what if I wanted to put a black feature on a cream headstock?'  Almost as good as black paper and scissors  xD

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Actually, Inkscape is pretty neat - I used Turbo-cad at one stage but it's just too darned hard for the fairly simple stuff we need in this game.  Inkscape is - for me - just right.  My last build and the one I'm just kicking off were basically designed on it.  Brilliant for trying the 'what if's'...such as the 'what if I wanted to put a black feature on a cream headstock?'  Almost as good as black paper and scissors  xD

Yeah I tried to use freecad but it was very complicated so I started using sketchup to design my furniture instead but now I prefer Inkscape 

Also the guitars in the joinery shop at work and I’m not back in work till Friday so it’s easier doing the designs at home 

I’ll post some pics later......

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

+1 for inkscape 

If you download a texture image you can use your vector drawing as a mask. It's very handy for seeing how different woods and materials look together. I mocked up some MOP inlay in an ebony capped headstock the other week. The customer loved it and the inlays arrived today in fact