Why become a member? ×

Advice on which Musicman

Parkie

Spoiler

Mudpup that would be nice man, but I think the Mrs would go mental & it would end up costing me loads more 'well if you can afford that you can afford this, this & this & to take the family to Disney'.

Anyway I'd like to hear what you think of both if you don't mind, cheers

15 minutes ago, Parkie said:
  Hide contents

Mudpup that would be nice man, but I think the Mrs would go mental & it would end up costing me loads more 'well if you can afford that you can afford this, this & this & to take the family to Disney'.

Anyway I'd like to hear what you think of both if you don't mind, cheers

Stingray - single pickup 2 band eq so has more booty than the 3 band, chunkier Precision sized neck, weighs a bit, rosewood/black, built like a tank, loads of sizzle, can knock walls down with the bass control maxed, get the mids back into it by rolling tone controls back to midway and upping the volume. The 3 band version is closer in sound to my Sandberg...

Sandberg - old PM4 style so reversed P pickup in the neck and a MM in the bridge position, skinnier jazz style (but not quite so skinny) neck, flatter fingerboard - feels lightning fast, about same weight as Stingray, still has sizzle but not quite as much as a Ray, does a very good Precision sound on just the neck pickup but tightens right up if you roll back to bridge pickup, can't do a Stingray sound but has a similar flavour, built like a tank as well, can run in passive mode so you get a slightly rounder old school tone that you can't do on a 'ray.

Love them both........

You could grab a USA Sub for £400/500 - has almost exactly the USA Stingray sound/feel on a budget. Fab value.....

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

Cheers appreciate your time & advice.

I nearly went for a berg but it was the aged thing which I struggle to get, but I know if I get one I will still hanker for  a Ray.

So I have a loose plan get a Ray, I don't think I can go wrong there & then secretly save some dosh & then configure my own berg on their site.

Oh yeah & grow a pair so I can tell the other half.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Parkie said:

Cheers appreciate your time & advice.

I nearly went for a berg but it was the aged thing which I struggle to get, but I know if I get one I will still hanker for  a Ray.

So I have a loose plan get a Ray, I don't think I can go wrong there & then secretly save some dosh & then configure my own berg on their site.

Oh yeah & grow a pair so I can tell the other half.

Grab a secondhand version of whichever you fancy from the classifieds on here (they both pop up pretty frequently and the guys on here are a good mob)

If you don't get on with it you can always turn it round for pretty much what you paid if you dont get carried away and spend over the going rate. Then if you find you like the Sandberg and really want one to your own spec just move it on and order a new one....that way you won't lose £500+ selling on a new bass.

Seriously, you could get a USA Sub for about £400-£500 and a Sandberg for £800+ secondhand reasonably easily - thats a lot less than just a Berg from the factory. Find out which one you gel with and go from there.

Edited by Mudpup

• 1 month later...

You can get the 2 band Stingray sound pretty well on a 3 band by reducing the mid range significantly from centre detent.

it will never have as much bass boost as the 3 band has a filter to remove boomy frequencies. 

The 3 band mid control is very useful in certain circumstances - I use it when playing Fretless for instance to enhance the mwah sound when required - it gives a lot more control.

Amazing how fashions change - 20 odd years ago everyone wanted the 3 band. 

Standard Stingrays (and US Subs) have 11 in radius (flatter) whilst Classic Stingrays have 7.5 in (and strings through - with more sustain and mutes for less sustain, more thump!!). 

Lots of choice.

On 11/17/2017 at 12:53, Misdee said:

The original post was asking which model MM to plump for, so I mentioned the Bongo because I am a big fan. I've had a few Stingrays myself, and one in particular had a problem with the G string. You don't have to look too far to find others who've had the same problem. I've played bass for over 40 years and owned some very good instruments. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a Stingray, I just want this chap to be aware of some of the issues. They are often heavy and that can be a bigger problem than any tendency to sound uneven.

Great basses, if you can find a good one, nevertheless.

It was actually asking which Stingray to go for...