Why become a member? ×

[SOLD] FENDER JAZZ BASS SPECIAL 1986 + Hipshot D-Tuner. Japan PJ-555 Duff McKagan "Army Green" MiJ]
£1000

TAzMilitello

11 minutes ago, denki109 said:

Were all MIJ Fender JBS models made of alder? I always thought my 1985 version was Basswood. Not that it matters as it's a great sounding bass either way. But I never realised that Alder could be so light. 

There does seem to be plenty of posts online that suggest PJ-555's were also available in Basswood. Sadly, on finding the information I wanted, my lack of internal multi-language support left me high and dry... My own Power Jazz Bass Special is incredibly light though and that is meant to be an Alder body. 

upload_2017-7-3_9-51-19.png

04-2.pdf

03-2.pdf

04.pdf

03.pdf

• Like 1

On 04/10/2018 at 14:40, denki109 said:

Were all MIJ Fender JBS models made of alder? I always thought my 1985 version was Basswood. Not that it matters as it's a great sounding bass either way. But I never realised that Alder could be so light. 

I have a Sandberg VS5 with alder body and ebony fingerboard, it weighs very light, only 3.7 kg!

• Thanks 1

On 04/10/2018 at 14:04, Dood said:

There does seem to be plenty of posts online that suggest PJ-555's were also available in Basswood. Sadly, on finding the information I wanted, my lack of internal multi-language support left me high and dry... My own Power Jazz Bass Special is incredibly light though and that is meant to be an Alder body. 

upload_2017-7-3_9-51-19.png

04-2.pdf

03-2.pdf

04.pdf

03.pdf

In a rare 'it's a small world' moment, I can read Katakana. I can confirm that the PJ-555 is listed as having 'A-Lu-Da' (Alder). The PF and FB models are specified as being made of basswood though. Not being a wood snob, I just liked the fact that my bass sounded great. Being of Mid-80s MIJ vintage, I wrongly assumed it to be basswood. Many thanks for that great eye opener. I absolutely love the catalogues.  

20 minutes ago, denki109 said:

In a rare 'it's a small world' moment, I can read Katakana. I can confirm that the PJ-555 is listed as having 'A-Lu-Da' (Alder). The PF and FB models are specified as being made of basswood though. Not being a wood snob, I just liked the fact that my bass sounded great. Being of Mid-80s MIJ vintage, I wrongly assumed it to be basswood. Many thanks for that great eye opener. I absolutely love the catalogues.  

Wow! What are the chances of that! I’m so pleased to have these catalogues translated! Thank you for confirming!

oh I agree, Basswood can actually be a great tonewood. There’s good and lesser quality examples (for musicial instruments) in both that and Alder. 

Ahhh yes, I love these catalogues too. Somewhere in this house I have a few 80’s / 90’s gear catalogues. I find it interesting that at the time they were just catalogues, but now they’re quite sought after - like now for example!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This bass just keeps coming back again and again. It's a gorgeous example I agree but just too much money. I just missed one of these in red sparkle the other day on Gumtree (UK classifieds website) for £450. Another black one went for £525. Just a thought if you're really keen to sell it... 

3 hours ago, simonroberts788 said:

This bass just keeps coming back again and again. It's a gorgeous example I agree but just too much money. I just missed one of these in red sparkle the other day on Gumtree (UK classifieds website) for £450. Another black one went for £525. Just a thought if you're really keen to sell it... 

I understand it, but unfortunately, the price I entered is that related to the Italian markets, unfortunately for 450-500£ here would be sold off...