Why become a member? ×

Duck Dunn Fender (not a Fender) tribute

AndyTravis

So, I sold a p/j bitsa I made (to find a bass I thought I needed when I didn't) I made it on a budget. The entire thing owed me £300 ish.

I scored a used limelight neck, which was ace.

That now lives in the midlands with a nice chap who still tells me how well it plays.

I've decided that I want to do the same again but broaden the budget a little without going over £500-£600.

I had a pair of P/J bodies in Candy Apple Red to choose from (I bought some basses from my wife’s work which weren’t being used...)

I'll be doing a subtle aging job on the body. The basses are ex school instruments and as such are dinged and pranged as it is so I'm not doing the belt sander job on them. Just taking the shine off and sharp edges of prangs.

I wanted a neck - Ideally a jazz width, but not opposed to P.

Maple board.

My options were...

Allparts (expensive but great reputation)
Mighty Mite (hard to find in UK?!)
Northwest Guitars (well priced and local to me)
Stratosphere (Roadworn 50's neck, actually pretty expensive)

Limelight quoted £360 which means I wouldn't be able to buy other bits, a shame as their necks are lovely.

The plan is a replica of the Fender Duck Dunn, but as a P/J and with EMG pickups. I’ve wanted the DD since I started in 1997 when I saw one in a magazine.

The bass will be used as a gigging/rehearsing bass for venues where I don't feel my CS jazz should go.

The major deviations from the original Fender will be P/J which is always my favourite setup, the fact it will be active because I have Passive sorted twice over and I’m partial to lollipop tuners so will wear some of those.

So, I eventually settled on the NW guitars neck, arrived today and I’m bowled over.

https://instagram.com/p/BbU0ncvjuTV/

The two basses, my brother had the second as it was in better nick. He loves it as it is.

Hi Andy, 

For PUPs think about DiMazio Split P and a KiOgon loom with old stock  Spragg cap. Really great range of tones with warm, lush lows. The DiMarzio Jazz PUP is really well matched as it is a split coil and removes some of the output loss associated with single coil Jazz PUPs in P/J configurations . Great project the bass looks handsome, Well Done!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

So...yes I’ve done a decal, but I’ve also written “deffo not a fender” on the heel of the neck.

its for me, i’ll not be selling it all being well, so before anyone has a moan...

and ive sourced some EMG’s need to sort pots and wiring 

19C27717-BF45-4B43-830F-4571B7294318.jpeg

F6139F8C-9631-484E-9F5D-530281189B37.jpeg

A83727B4-FD99-4807-88B9-8BCE7D548AE3.jpeg

328E1449-5F3A-4F9C-8CE3-AC2E56C49FD1.jpeg

Hahahahahaha.  I understand why you'd want to be defensive about the decal.  That topic brought out some surprisingly strong feelings here and there.  On the decal itself; when you say that you did one, how was it done?  Is there a special printer paper that you can get or what?

34 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Hahahahahaha.  I understand why you'd want to be defensive about the decal.  That topic brought out some surprisingly strong feelings here and there.  On the decal itself; when you say that you did one, how was it done?  Is there a special printer paper that you can get or what?

I was researching making my own, and then came across a guy who makes them which made my decision as the special water slide paper was as dear as the decal itself.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I was researching making my own, and then came across a guy who makes them which made my decision as the special water slide paper was as dear as the decal itself.

So you didn’t fancy going down the laser printer and sellotape method then? They don’t come out too bad 38FDA299-6641-4809-B8A1-A889534A9BBC.thumb.jpeg.4edc8aa71f8ab83816b294178d86305c.jpeg

38 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I can’t believe that was actually achieved using sellotape?!

Yeah it’s really simple you just print out you logo on normal printer paper stick sellotape over it then I use the handle of a pair of scissors and rub the logo to make sure all the ink sticks then cut it out and put it in water for about 5-10mins then you carefully rub the paper off and it just leaves the ink on the sellotape then you just stick it on and when it dries the glue reactivates and then it stays 

The logo in the picture is put on bare wood and has been on there for about 6months without any problems if you want you can lacquer over the top of it as well and it doesn’t crinkle or anything 

There’s a few videos on YouTube that explain it better than I probably have