Why become a member? ×

SBL............

pmjos

I am just getting tired of the SBL BS ........... why now apparently Six Sting Bass Sucks not just 5 -ho about 4? Why not take string off and do 3?

I'm not a Groove Hacker or Low End Lover. I just want to be spoken to like a grown up get better at bass without all the utter twaddle.........

I too have an SBL subscription.
The lessons in the courses are significantly better than the stuff you see on YouTube.

Other than that, the forum, or "Campus" as they call it, is ok but full of kids. The mods are like playground supervisors. So I generally keep clear of these.

The seminars can be good, with some good stuff from Ariane Cap, Danny No Morris and others.

Scott's caned enthusiasm can grate, but in the lessons he's not like that.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1510337584' post='3405787']
He gets paid per click for the 'free' videos he puts out on YouTube, hence the clickbait.

Once you get past whatever gimmick is the title of the clip, there's usually (although not always) something useful in there.
[/quote]

Agreed. I find his boundless enthusiasm a bit wearing at times, but he gives some good advice and a lot of helpful stuff.

Yes, I saw that latest title pop up and thought... “Ah, this’ll be a video about the things you need to properly think about and address if you want to transition effectively to a sixer...” and so it proved to be. 

Like others have said, he makes a proportion of his living by attracting clicks on YouTube and it’s just the nature of the social media world that “Why six string bass sucks!” will get more views than, “Foundational left and right hand muting techniques and note placement applications for beginner and intermediate six string bass players”. Doesn’t make the Social Media Vlogger/clickbait style any less annoying for those older than 21 years old but at least there is a solid and logical reason for it.

Bottom line, Scott is very good at 2 things, bass teaching and social media marketing/monetisation. More power to him. Tho I reserve the right to temporary differing views when being spammed by his bots on Facebook!

On 10/11/2017 at 18:19, Grangur said:

I too have an SBL subscription.
The lessons in the courses are significantly better than the stuff you see on YouTube.

Other than that, the forum, or "Campus" as they call it, is ok but full of kids. The mods are like playground supervisors. So I generally keep clear of these.

The seminars can be good, with some good stuff from Ariane Cap, Danny No Morris and others.

Scott's caned enthusiasm can grate, but in the lessons he's not like that.

In your opinion is the subscription charge worth it as I’ve been considering signing up?