Why become a member? ×

20 Greatest British Rock Bands

hiram.k.hackenbacker

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1510340673' post='3405839']
Would you call The Rolling Stones a Rock Band?

I think there's another debate here. I'm in the fence with The Stones, originally a blues cover band.

Blue
[/quote]

Just to throw another spanner in the works, I did have a similar conversation with a chap who insisted that The Stones were the greatest Rock 'n' Roll band, partly because, strictly speaking, he considered The Who to be a Rhythm & Blues band (as they were originally marketed)!

Doesn't clarify what type of Rock
Heavy Rock
Classic Rock
Glam Rock
Prog Rock

T.Rex, Sweet, Bowie all Glam Rock
Pink Floyd Prog Rock
Zep Heavy Rock
Deep Purple or Rainbow as Classic Rock

Not sure what you would class Oasis, The Cure, and some of the others ??

Think its down to the individuals definition of Rock

Dave

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1510309544' post='3405444']
They are just trying to cover as many genres as possible but keeping it to 20 total as typical cliched online lists go, hence they have Zep so can't have Deep Purple, they have Floyd so can't have Genesis or Yes. It's all pretty pointless.
[/quote]

Nail. Head.

On 11/10/2017 at 20:12, dmccombe7 said:

Doesn't clarify what type of Rock
Heavy Rock
Classic Rock
Glam Rock
Prog Rock

T.Rex, Sweet, Bowie all Glam Rock
Pink Floyd Prog Rock
Zep Heavy Rock
Deep Purple or Rainbow as Classic Rock

Not sure what you would class Oasis, The Cure, and some of the others ??

Think its down to the individuals definition of Rock

Dave

Surely Deep Purple and Rainbow were just mainstream rock, and are only "classic" when viewed from today's perspective?

19 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Surely Deep Purple and Rainbow were just mainstream rock, and are only "classic" when viewed from today's perspective?

I generally think of Deep Purple as prog rock, but then I guess it depends which albums you focus on. They were definitely moving towards a mainstream sound on Machine Head, but the five albums before that are a lot more experimental.

Ditto Rainbow, I suppose. Since You've Been Gone is like a blueprint for classic rock cheese, but then Stargazer must surely count as a prog-rock epic!

Bruce Dickinson gives a good summary of the BS surrounding modern music genres.  I agree with him, it's all made up rubbish.  The fact is just about any band can be classified as Rock.

I'm not a huge one for lists, but they have their uses.  I like the ones on digital dream door and have often used them for set list ideas, ideas for songs to learn and practice etc.

Anyway, you might be surprised by some of the entries in greatest 'rock' artist:

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artistsddd.html

I guess i was looking at them from todays perspective therefore they are classic rock to me.

I suppose they were mainstream rock back then.

I tend to think of classic rock as bands that played traditional rock from 70's/early 80's. I guess DP are now just a Rock band but their music from early years i see it as classic rock.

Not sure how you make that change and why i think that way.

I've always classed Rainbow as Classic Rock mainly because started from that era but later material became pop rock to me and i wasn't into that. Rising was their best album for me. I can see how you would class Stargazer as Prog tho but in general their songs were more just classic rock to me.

Dave

Super Furry Animals ? I can smell a rat. Surely one of their friends or relatives compiled this list. They might just scrape into the top twenty bands from Wales.

Another questionable inclusion would have to be T Rex. And Radiohead at 3 ? Such lists seem to have been put together by music critics of broadsheet newspapers, who want to rewrite the story of rock music to fit their own pretentious agenda. Thats why bands like Iron Maiden have been conspicuously omitted. They don't fit into their airbrushed view of history, despite being one of the biggest selling and most influential British bands ever. To be honest with you, I can't stand their music myself, but nonetheless Maiden are surely much more important than most of the bands on this list.

• Like 1

I found myself in Waterstones yesterday and saw a large table full of piles of books titled "1001 ??????? to see/hear/eat/visit/etc Before You Die".

The people that create these books/lists seem to be making a decent living from compiling them. It's all a bit Emperor's New Clothes to me.

Some very, very odd inclusions on a list that should be entitled "guitar bands" rather than "rock".

Anyway. One omission, and I'm amazed no-one else appears to have mentioned them considering the seismic impact they had on British music.

No Sex Pistols.

Come on.

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Some very, very odd inclusions on a list that should be entitled "guitar bands" rather than "rock".

Anyway. One omission, and I'm amazed no-one else appears to have mentioned them considering the seismic impact they had on British music.

No Sex Pistols.

Come on.

Post No. 7 of the thread!