Why become a member? ×

20 Greatest British Rock Bands

hiram.k.hackenbacker

True greatness surely = originality+ talent+ influence+ big sales+ werldwide fame+long lasting legacy. Based on this The Beatles score on all counts as do a few others. Others may disagree but then again words like 'great', 'classic' , 'legend' , 'genius' and 'hero' have been badly debased through overuse

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1510325370' post='3405636']

The reason why the term "The British Isles" is not used much these days is precisely because most of the people who live on one of the islands are definitely not British.
[/quote]

It's more complicated than that though isn't it? A whole load of overlapping definitions and identities; geographical, political, historical...as you say, best left well alone. I think the only definitive thing you can say is if you hold a UK passport you are British... even though you may also be something else too.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1510326163' post='3405647']
It's more complicated than that though isn't it? A whole load of overlapping definitions and identities; geographical, political, historical...as you say, best left well alone. I think the only definitive thing you can say is if you hold a UK passport you are British... even though you may also be something else too.
[/quote]

Yep, and I think the term British Isles is still (just about) valid if used in a purely geographic context because apparently the convention for archipelagos is to name them after the biggest island.....But like you say, given the history it's probably best to steer clear :)

Anyway, arguing about whether bands are rock bands or not and then whether they deserve a place in a list is more fun anyway

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1510323661' post='3405605']
British in the sense of British Isles?

AC/DC are fair dinkum aussies though, someone mentioned them above.

Surprised no one has mentioned Fleetwood Mac?
[/quote]

I think a British band would be defined as one where the members grew up and formed the band in the UK. Although AC/DC wouldn't qualify as British by virtue of the fact the Youngs were born in Glasgow and they have a Geordie singer. U2 don't count as all the members were raised in Ireland, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience don't count 'cos really it was Jimi who was raised with American influences and a couple of hired hands.

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1510328304' post='3405662']
Yep, and I think the term British Isles is still (just about) valid if used in a purely geographic context because apparently the convention for archipelagos is to name them after the biggest island.....But like you say, given the history it's probably best to steer clear :)

Anyway, arguing about whether bands are rock bands or not and then whether they deserve a place in a list is more fun anyway
[/quote]

In the days of the empire half the world was British, and there's not really a strong rock presence in the places that weren't pink on the map originally. Therefore all rock bands are British. Except maybe Sepultra, and a few death metal bands from Scandinavia. And the Sugarcubes.

I'll get my coat. :mellow:

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1510329053' post='3405671']

I think a British band would be defined as one where the members grew up and formed the band in the UK. Although AC/DC wouldn't qualify as British by virtue of the fact the Youngs were born in Glasgow and they have a Geordie singer. U2 don't count as all the members were raised in Ireland, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience don't count 'cos really it was Jimi who was raised with American influences and a couple of hired hands.
[/quote]

Sorry but I disagree if you are born in Britain you are British irrelevant of where you are raised, if a dog is born in a kennel but then lives ina stable does that make it a horse?

[quote name='Jimothey' timestamp='1510329712' post='3405682']
Sorry but I disagree if you are born in Britain you are British irrelevant of where you are raised, if a dog is born in a kennel but then lives ina stable does that make it a horse?
[/quote]

If a dog is born in a kennel and lives in a a stable with horses he's likely to start acting like a horse.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1510332002' post='3405703']
Sorry but putting the dirge that is Radiohead at 3 loses it all credibility to me.
[/quote][quote name='Jimothey' timestamp='1510332047' post='3405706']
Completely agree
[/quote]

Me too- I presume the dirgemeisters in Radiohead , and others on the list ,wouldn't describe themselves , or want to be described as R.O.C.K.. :search:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1510328509' post='3405664']
I wouldn't call the Beatles a rock band.
[/quote]

Good point, what were they?

A Rock & Roll band that ultimately played and recorded a few songs that would be considered rock?

The early 60s Beatles were so much different than The Beatles of later years.

Initially they were playing rock & roll covers.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1510339608' post='3405822']
Surely they are the original Pop band? Pop acts still do a mixture of rocky stuff,dance music,rap and ballads etc to this day.[/quote]

Agreed,

I'll call Rolling Stone and let them know The Beatles don't qualify for their list.😂

Blue

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1510330770' post='3405692']
What about The Pretenders then? :scratch_one-s_head: - Chrissie Hynde was the only non British member of the original line up....[/quote]

Good point, sort of mirrors my concern about The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1510328509' post='3405664']
I wouldn't call the Beatles a rock band.
[/quote]

Would you call The Rolling Stones a Rock Band?

I think there's another debate here. I'm in the fence with The Stones, originally a blues cover band.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1510339608' post='3405822']
Surely they are the original Pop band? Pop acts still do a mixture of rocky stuff,dance music,rap and ballads etc to this day.
[/quote]

Well, they started out as a pop band but then continued to morph into anything and everything. Many people consider "Helter Skelter to be the original Punk song, almost 10 years before Punk cane into being. But was it Punk, or Metal? I cant find a way to make the Beatles gender specific.