Why become a member? ×

Unique custom Overwater jazz bass
£1700

cammymaxwellbass

One of a kind custom Overwater jazz bass.

*Hi everyone. I’d like to make it clear from the outset that the only reason I’m selling this beautiful, professional level instrument is due to a long term sports injury to my jaw, neck and shoulders. This means playing traditional shape, long scale, slightly heavier instruments is not really possible for me any more. I love this bass, and don’t really want to sell it, but I haven’t been able to play it for any length of time for nearly a year now, so time to sell it on.*

The facts:
34 scale
maple neck, rosewood fingerboard
swamp ash body
hipshot usa hardware
natural finish, tortoiseshell scratchplate
overwater pickup in J/P/J config
controls are stacked Vol/tone for each pickup. additionally each vol is push/pull for on/off - making quick changes very easy. the switch is a master on/off to save rolling off multiple volumes each time.
custom John East buffer preamp - stops the pickups interacting with each other in an adverse way like a normal passive vol/vol setup. Battery life is in the range of 6 months!
weight 4.1kg on bathroom scales
currently strung with Ernie Ball cobalt flats

The good:
World class craftsmanship, beautiful looking and feeling instrument capable of pretty much the widest range of tones possible in one instrument. Sounds like almost anything you can imagine.

The bad:
It’s done a looooot of gigs, and travelling. Therefore is has a few small marks on it to show how much use it’s had. Nothing major at all, and I’ve tried to get photos of the biggest ones.
Also, I’ve made two attempts to hold onto it and keep playing it without aggravating my injury; on the advice of a guitar tech I tried putting the right strap button an inch or so higher - easily plugged with a small wood screw at the moment, and a nice thing to try out as it might work for someone else.
I also had the back contoured further along to make the bass sit a little more to the right. The finish is therefore a little different, and the pictures show this. an audience will never see it, but it definitely feels comfier to me.

You can here the bass (wearing labella flats) on spotify here:  https://open.spotify...Y4soR36li4a2pYE
and here:
https://open.spotify...G5NEX5pmTIcLnXh

Based in Glasgow but travel quite a bit. Postage is possible, and comes in a Hiscox hard case.

It's difficult to put a price on this as there aren't any others like it, so feel free to make a reasonable offer.

Any questions welcome, cheers for looking.

Trades: probably not, but anything very light and 32/33 scale would be interesting...

IMG_20171105_190709.jpg

IMG_20171105_190729.jpg

IMG_20171105_190752.jpg

IMG_20171105_190817.jpg

IMG_20171105_190825.jpg

IMG_20171105_190655.jpg

IMG_20171105_190702.jpg

Edited by cammymaxwellbass
site update, added pics

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1510273327' post='3405303']
Stunning bass, and sorry to read about your injury. GLWTS
[/quote]

Thanks, it's a real shame to move it on, we've seen a lot of gigs together!

[quote name='eubassix' timestamp='1510316104' post='3405524']
Nice bass/concept .... I like the p/up config. as it's similar to my Urge (1) Stu Hamm (although the EQ / controls are radicaly different)[attachment=257397:MVC-077S.JPG] :-
[/quote]

I agree! There are some production basses with 3 pickups but not as many as guitars. It's a real tonal swiss army knife!