Why become a member? ×

Eden Glowplug

Paddy515

Hi Paddy, I bought one about a month ago and really like it, have played two gigs with it now and it's a keeper.  I've got a mesa subway D800 amp and this pedal adds something lovely to the tone, gives it a bit more oomph and warmth!  I use it with quite a subtle setting but you can get a nice tube breakup tone from it too. I got mine on ebay for £99 which I thought was a good price.

Hi - thanks for that. Haven't found any independant reviews online and trying one in a stockist has proven a no-go. Wanting to put one of these - or something similar- before a TE solid state head. Was yours used at that price? Will keep looking. Regards, Paddy. 

Your Google-Fu is weak, young grasshopper:

http://www.bass-pedals.com/eden-glowplug-bass-tube-warmer-review/

Looks like a decent pedal but I don't think they sold well due to the oversized enclosure and 15V power requirement. Both of those are instant turn offs for me as I like to use a common power supply and virtually none of them offer 15V outputs, and I like to keep the pedals as small as possible!

But listening to those clips again, it sounds really good if you want a more vintage/mellow overdrive and don't mind the aforementioned drawbacks. A bit of a steal for under £100!

Edited by dannybuoy

Mine was new on eBay for that price, just had a look at the sellers shop but they haven’t got any at the moment, they’ve got other similar Eden pedals for sale though so might be worth contacting them (user jmb6256 on eBay)

The pedal was smaller than I thought it was going to be but I can understand the size and power issue putting some people off.

Hi both -

I had seen that bass-pedals review but I was just interested to hear from any owners who had had experience of using one week to week. Also I'm an old grasshopper of 56 but nice to be thought of as young!! Thanks.  The ebay sellers have some coming back into stock so will keep an eye out. Regards, Paddy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
1 minute ago, Paddy515 said:

Adds a veriety of warmth or driven tones to either my valve pre-amp channel or my non-valve channel on an Eden Metro combo - good investment I recon.

Same amp as I've got! I l love my Metro - I just wish it didn't weigh so much. But the tone's gorgeous. I'm hoping the Glowplug will give it just that little extra. All the reviews I've read have been positive, with the only gripe being the 15V PSU, so I'm hoping it'll be a worthwhile investment.

2 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Same amp as I've got! I l love my Metro - I just wish it didn't weigh so much. But the tone's gorgeous. I'm hoping the Glowplug will give it just that little extra. All the reviews I've read have been positive, with the only gripe being the 15V PSU, so I'm hoping it'll be a worthwhile investment.

I use channel 1 for an old vintage style tone and channel 2 for the Glowplug overdriven sounds. Works a treat. Cuts through the mix really well too.

• Like 1

Well, I've finally had a chance tonight to sit down and annoy the neighbours while I tried it out. I'm well impressed. My Metro is still in store, so I had to use my little Eden EC8 solid state practice amp. But the richer tone was really noticeable straight away. It's very responsive but I found I needed to fiddle with the mix and crossover controls quite a bit to avoid fuzziness. But I did manage to get a lovely warm and rich sound out of it. Having said that, the overdriven sound is fantastic, so if that's your thing, just plug and play.

I suspect I'll need to find the sweet spot when I hook it up to the Metro, and maybe mark the settings with a spot of paint. Then I just need to remember to turn right for the fuzz and left to dial it back. But this pedal definitely delivers the goods.

whaz hot: solidly built, responsive controls, LED to show if it's on or off, gorgeous tone, does what it says on the tin

whaz not: the PSU is (a) 15 volts and (b) really flimsy. It flexed so much that I thought I'd broken it when I first plugged it in. That's a drawback in a pedal costing north of 100 quid. 

overall: well chuffed. This beastie's a keeper - I'll just have to put up with two PSUs on my pedal board. 

• Like 1