Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Ken Smith BSR5EG Fretless
£2200

Thomas P

Located in Denmark but can be shipped world wide

New photo's without flash in order to avoid uneven spots from the refelection.

My dream fretless bought by myself from a German Smith collector about a year ago.

Ken Smith BSR5EG with what I believe to be a 5-piece mahogany core/flamed maple body, and 5 piece neck. Weight less than 4 kg. 34” scale, String spacing bridge around 18.5 mm. Full Smith package regarding Pick-Ups with coil switches (Serial/parallel) and three band Eq.
The serial number and original signature inside the electronics cavity indicates it to be from 1998, which by no means is to be seen from its overall almost mint condition. This does in no way look like an almost 20-year-old instrument, which has been played a lot. And reason I know it has been played a lot is that the fretboard has been replaced due to wear.
How does a professional Luthier like in this case, replace the fretboard of a neck through Smith on which the bottom of the fretboard is flush with the body, without damaging the latter? You leave a small layer of it to remain in position and glue the new onto it. Does this influence sound or playability? In no way, but the overall thickness of the neck is a couple of millimetres more than a standard Smith, hence the reason why my price is a 1000 £ less than what they normally sell for.

Sound clips from Youtube (not me playing)

Fretless
https://www.youtube....h?v=XSHEvwohSdU

And how versatile they are given the Pick Ups and pre-amp.
https://www.youtube....h?v=axggN1U5fwQ

Original Smith case and strap included.

Only selling/trading as there really is no use for a fretless in the bands I’m in. Willing to trade for the right bass, which could be the likes of a 5 string Roscoe, Fbass or other ”high-end” bass. Alternatively a cheaper 5 string with money my way.

More pic’s on request.

All the best
Thomas

DSCN0074.JPG

DSCN0077.JPG

DSCN0079.JPG

DSCN0080.JPG

DSCN0082.JPG

DSCN0083.JPG

Edited by Thomas P
Sold