Why become a member? ×

Fallen out of love with ProCo RAT - alternatives?

sockdeluxe_mikey

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I'm fallen out of love with my ProCo RAT distortion pedal. I use it within a clean blend and it sounds really nice, but sometimes it can be really fiddly to dial in (feels like I can't set the same level of distortion and 'Tone' compared to my amp volume, so levels jump all over the place).[/font][/color]

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]For other reasons (mainly because in my current setup the clean blend's volume isn't controllable), I'd like to change to a bass distortion/fuzz/overdrive that ha[font=inherit]s a clean blend built in and I guess 'upgrade' at the same time.[/font][/font][/color]

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=inherit]I do really like the sound of the RAT, but I'm not averse to trying something different. On my shortlist so far:[/font]

[font=inherit]Crowther Prunes and Custard
MXR Bass Distortion[/font]

[font=inherit]Anybody got any suggestions?[/font][/font][/color]

Edited by sockdeluxe_mikey

if you like the rat tone, the COG rats are very bass friendly. new one due out . I have a mini tk421 which has all the snarl and all the bass you'd want. A Rat on the bass is a specific thing and sounds so good when dialled in. Clean blends can be tricky for that reason, as you change the amp volume, you sometimes have to adjust the blend.

I would stay away from the Prunes and Custard as its a totally different beast, almost envelope filter distortion in a synthy way. unless thats what you want.

Lots of Bass distortions/ RAT clones available with blends now but some honesty don't need them. Yes Darkglass have blends but also not the Mids you are looking for. The Pike Vulcan XL should.

Dr Scientist Frazz dazzler and elements both have blends and bass tone pots to dial in what you need. very versatile for the bass.

I also like the Dwarfcraft Eau clare thunder for a mid heavy bass fuzz. The Necromancer also has a full EQ section. So does the Thorpy Muffroom Cloud. All great on Bass.

Don't forget the Tronographic Rusty Box, played on recently and they are fantastic too.

The problem here is that you're "not adverse to trying something different".....which just means you'll get a thread of every overdrive/distortion under the sun :)
The COG TK-421-X is Rat based and excellent, equally the MXR Bass Distortion is Rat based and co-designed by Ryan from Fuzzrocious, based off their Cat Tail pedal.
But if you're genuinely open to other things, just pop into the Effects For Sale thread and buy a couple of bits, try them, flip them for the same price if you don't like them.
Or there's that new FX Pedal Rental company operating in the UK now, might get expensive.....but a good opportunity to try stuff.

Si