Why become a member? ×

Gibson RD Artist Basses announced for 2018

NancyJohnson

good to see them back,
my gripes tho-
-rosewood fretboard looks bad on both, a maple of the natural, and ebony on the black would be much better. but i guess they are money saving
- stock pickups used on the EB bass and thunderbird 2015, they look crap
- the preamp is probably nothing special.
- the knobs looks out of place, but thats easily changed.

iv never really been a fan of the small headstock they use at the moment tho, doesnt looks right.

Edited by andysleigh

Funnily enough, I was playing my '79 RD Artist at band rehearsal on Tuesday night. Is it an "Artist"? Well, the way I see it, it's more "Artist" than "Standard" and that's more than I expected so happy days. Agree with the comments about fingerboard material - would have been nice to have the option of maple for the natural one and ebony for the black like in olden times.

Specs:

Series Limited Run Basses
Body
Body Style: RD
Back: Maple
Top: N/a
Weight relief: None

Neck
Neck: Maple
Neck profile: Rounded
Nut width: 1.60”
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale length: 34”
Number of frets: 20
Nut: Tektoid
Inlay: Acrylic Dots

Hardware
Bridge: 3-Point Full Contact BABICZ
Tailpiece: N/a
Knobs: Knurled Black Chrome & Flat Black EQ Knobs
Tuners: Grover Shamrocks
Plating: Chrome

Electronics
Neck pickup: Rhythm EB Bass
Bridge pickup: Lead EB Bass
Controls: Vol / Blend & High/Low/Parametric, w/ Mini Toggle (Active/Passive)

Finish/Quantity
Finishes available: Antique Natural, Ebony
Case: Hardshell
Quantity available: N/a

Price: € 1700 (probably not the streetprice)

The body shape is about the only thing that is "RD" about this guitar. I remember them having 2 little switches behind the bridge and pickups without visible pole pieces which joined onto the pick guard. I also recall them weighing an absolute ton, seeing as I was playing a Precision at the time, they must have been heavy to notice the difference! Having said that I quite like the look of this modern take on the theme.

Pick ups look the same as on my EB4, they sound good and have coil taps built in (at least, mine does!) so they are quite versatile. Shame they've gone for the crappy 3 point bridge, though, the EB4 comes with Babicz as standard, a far better option.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1510311962' post='3405476']
Pick ups look the same as on my EB4, they sound good and have coil taps built in (at least, mine does!) so they are quite versatile. Shame they've gone for the crappy 3 point bridge, though, the EB4 comes with Babicz as standard, a far better option.
[/quote]

They haven't - it's a Babicz 3 point replacement bridge on the new ones. The picture of the old one had a 3 point bridge on it, perhaps that's what you were thinking of.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1510323557' post='3405603']
They haven't - it's a Babicz 3 point replacement bridge on the new ones. The picture of the old one had a 3 point bridge on it, perhaps that's what you were thinking of.
[/quote]

Probably was, just looked at a pic in this thread and assumed it was the bass under discussion. The Babicz bridge is definitely worth having!

[quote name='andysleigh' timestamp='1510324642' post='3405622']
the more i look at it the more it makes me annoyed that gibson cant put a little bit of effort into making something i little special or different.
[/quote]

Thing is the major brands are stuck with making/re-issuing their legacy instruments; Fender are just as guilty as Gibson in that hardware/electronics aside their core designs are all 50/60 years old.

Gibson did produce the recent EB basses through two guises - these were wholly new designs for Gibson, although the body shapes did borrow heavily from Tobias and Peavey and the first EB Series body looked an awful lot like a Fender Dimension bass. While a few here liked them - specifically from the new pickups and the price point - they've obviously bombed and haven't been put into another production run.

I like the RD Artist rework. I'm still holding on to see whether they'll do a 20/20 reissue.