Why become a member? ×

I don't get compressors

PaulWarning

having tried various compressors, built in ones on Marshall and Trace Elliot amps and the sym ones on my Zoom B1on and I can't hear what they do, I know they make it louder (as in turn up the volume) but if you get the volume the same with and without there doesn't seem to be very much difference.

It takes away the peaks from playing. Smooths everything out. So if you dig in particularly hard, that peak in volume will get "cut off", and it wont sound so harsh.
I'm sure there is a more technical way to explain it.
But the reason most people would use them, is the reason i don't.
I like to have control over the dynamics of my playing, and every compressor i've tried has taken away some of the "colour" of what makes my playing , my playing (for better or for worse :lol: )

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1510226025' post='3404718']
It takes away the peaks from playing. Smooths everything out. So if you dig in particularly hard, that peak in volume will get "cut off", and it wont sound so harsh.
I'm sure there is a more technical way to explain it.
But the reason most people would use them, is the reason i don't.
I like to have control over the dynamics of my playing, and every compressor i've tried has taken away some of the "colour" of what makes my playing , my playing (for better or for worse :lol: )
[/quote]I play with a pick, so that could be the reason then, and my smooth playing technique lol, I've heard comments on here about the sound certain players get and someone usually pops up with the opinion that it's heavily compressed, can't see it myself

I think, looking back on my years of scepticism, that part of the problem is the cheap/half-arsed nature of a lot of the compressors built into bass amps. The ones in my old solid state combos, and the ones I've more recently tried using in practice rooms, always made everything sound a bit brittle, and gave me very little control over the compression. This is almost certainly why I stopped using them.

Now that I've moved over to valve amps, the gentle compression that they apply naturally seems to be enough for my needs. If I hadn't made this transition, I think I'd now be happy for somebody who understood them to pop a decent compressor pedal into my signal chain and show me how to get the best out of it.

Compressors boost the volume of the quiet notes you play and cut the volume of the loud notes you play. It irons out the peaks and troughs of volume , from your amp, and makes you sound smoother and more consistent. Particularly good for slapping.

Compression can also make your bass sound punchier.

A downside is that any dynamics in your playing are lost, if the compression is set too high.

Compression is something that I think is widely misunderstood by a lot of people. When used in moderation it is the icing on the cake of a great bass tone, in my opinion of course. ;)

Because it isn't an obvious effect as such in the way that something like a drive pedal is, some people (and I'm not saying that you are one of them :) ) have a tendency to set the compressor so that they can hear it working, at which point you're invariably adding way too much squash to your tone and killing all dynamics. The secret of great compression is to use it in moderation so that the peaks are tamed but you still have dynamic control when you're playing. A little goes a long way.

Compression is more obvious in a band mix that it is when it's just the bass in isolation. Once you have found the compression sweet spot, the bass will be more punchy and even across its range in the mix that without any form of compression. I find the best way to find the compression sweet spot is to set it up at a rehearsal while the rest of the band are playing, it is more obvious in the mix and at a louder volume than at in-house levels. I prefer to use my ears rather than any sort of in-built metering in the compressor itself.

I used to play a lot with a plectrum and used a touch of compression. These days I play more with my fingers and still use compression and I do think it is more obvious with finger playing that with a plectrum, but it is still a subtle effect to listen out for.

As with everything in life, there are people who won't like it and you might just be one of them. Nothing wrong with that at all :)
I personally won't leave home with one :lol:

Edited by Osiris
  • Like 2

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1510226401' post='3404724']
I play with a pick, so that could be the reason then, and my smooth playing technique lol, I've heard comments on here about the sound certain players get and someone usually pops up with the opinion that it's heavily compressed, can't see it myself
[/quote]

I have the same feeling. I also play with a pick most of the time and yes, a compressor makes things sound good (when set up right), but to my ears its really just a volume boost with a bit of something else on top that gets lost when the band strike up.
My latest comp is a Spectra comp, and i can definitely hear a difference in the different presets (tone prints), so as an effect i can see the point, but a lot of what i read says when a good comp is working its transparent so i dont understand why some people obsess about them unless they are used in a non transparent way, in which case get it. I also find the phrase 'kills all your dynamics' to be a bit of a generalisation and not true at all unless thats what you want.

I’m using a Origin Cali 76cb and I have dynamic control, big beefy bass tone and it doesn’t interfere with my playing.. once you add additional effects to a pedal board you you might find a compressor has an impact on them in either a positive or negative way. I’ve used the Effectrode PC-2A in the past too and it was a warm wonderful sound. The Cali has a clean blend plus a high pass filter so you can control more variables then on some other comp pedals. Having a clean blend is a studio trick where you still get the bass signal but with the compression in parallel. Lots of punch and presence in a mix.

I’ve said this in a few threads but https://fxpedalrental.com/ have the Cali for rent. It’s well worth giving it a shot and the owner is a fellow BC community member and has discount codes if you ask him nicely..

Edited by krispn

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1510240385' post='3404927']
I have the same feeling. I also play with a pick most of the time and yes, a compressor makes things sound good (when set up right), but to my ears its really just a volume boost with a bit of something else on top that gets lost when the band strike up.
My latest comp is a Spectra comp, and i can definitely hear a difference in the different presets (tone prints), so as an effect i can see the point, but a lot of what i read says when a good comp is working its transparent so i dont understand why some people obsess about them unless they are used in a non transparent way, in which case get it. I also find the phrase 'kills all your dynamics' to be a bit of a generalisation and not true at all unless thats what you want.
[/quote]

I agree that when a compressor is set up right that it makes things sound great.
But to say it's just a volume boost, although it can be, is to miss out on what a good compressor can deliver when it is set up right :)
When set up right it will make the bass more prominent in the mix so if you're getting lost it sounds like your signal is too squashed. Try lowering the threshold and ratio until the bass begins to punch through.

I'm another Spectracomp user and I absolutely love it!
Next time you're gigging or rehearsing, try using the MuscleComp tone print. That's the one I love as it adds masses of punch to the bass in the mix. It does add some top end to the signal, you might like this but I prefer to eq it back out. For me, setting the control knob on the pedal to about 10 o'clock makes the bass punch like Tyson B)

I like compression and have a Cali76G, done well it gives that extra je ne sais quoi to the sound.
Set it up to squash a bit and punch like Anthony Joshua, set it to allow harmonics and sustain, but it is defo more than a volume boost, although it can do that, and if compression is making you get lost in a mix, then the balance is not quite right.

Compression to some degree is used on all instrument including voice on all instruments of your records that you hear from the studio, so it can’t be that bad surely?!

• Like 1

I messed about with a few before I found one I was really happy with - a TC spectracomp. I use it dialled in fairly low and it gives the tone a ‘fuller’ sound to my ears. If you dial it up it does kill the nice variations you can get by changing the way you play so I simply don’t turn it up. For me it’s the one and only always on pedal.

The only compression I've used have been on combo's, Roland and TCE and then only at about 9 o'clock. Both have been subtle in thickening up the sound. Not killing the dynamics as stated above is the trick and the spectracomp is the one tone-print I must have on my TCE 208.

Edited by grandad

There have been quite a few threads on compressors over the last couple of years. '[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248974-to-compress-or-not-to-compress/"]To compress or not to compress[/url]' for me was the best of the lot. Worth having a read through if you haven't already. Found it very interesting just how many folk prefer not to compress (like Funkshui) as those that do (like Osiris).

For me its key role is to protect my speaker cabs against 'spikes' / speaker pop caused by slap bass playing or use of filter effects and also to provide a more centred sound. Some of that (particularly reducing speaker pop on slapping) can as easily and perhaps be better dealt with by ensuring that the PUPs aren't too close to the strings. There's also an argument that compression is needed less when playing in passive than active mode. Like Funkshui I like to have the freedom to play more loudly or quietly without a compressor unduly tying my hands.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1510242458' post='3404948']
I agree that when a compressor is set up right that it makes things sound great.
But to say it's just a volume boost, although it can be, is to miss out on what a good compressor can deliver when it is set up right :)
When set up right it will make the bass more prominent in the mix so if you're getting lost it sounds like your signal is too squashed. Try lowering the threshold and ratio until the bass begins to punch through.

I'm another Spectracomp user and I absolutely love it!
Next time you're gigging or rehearsing, try using the MuscleComp tone print. That's the one I love as it adds masses of punch to the bass in the mix. It does add some top end to the signal, you might like this but I prefer to eq it back out. For me, setting the control knob on the pedal to about 10 o'clock makes the bass punch like Tyson B)
[/quote]

Yep the Muscle comp is the one i use already and i too keep the knob under 11 o'clock. I do liek the top end boost, although it can be a bit harsh when i kick in a dirty tone. Just have ot back the top off on the amp though.
Don't get me wrong, im not saying comps aren't good to have, but i really feel in my case that i actually dont need one. If i dont need one then having one wont make much difference IMO. My pick playing is pretty even, so maybe my dynamics are already compressed by my playing style.

Saying that, i can certainly hear the extra punch i get from the comp but ive also had it turned off and just rasied my volume a bit, and i really cant tell much difference. I think it definitely works better in front of a dirt box rather than in to an amp. I guess for me its more a case of do i really need the extra temptation to fiddle with yet another knob without it making much difference. I go through phases though, and ive had the same feeling about all 5 comps that ive owned for live use.

I don't think this thread would be complete without a link to the 'FAQ' section of the OVNI labs website! so, here it is >> [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml[/url] :)

I use the (now discontinued) Nova Dynamics NDY-1 compressor by TC, which has sort of been superseded by the Spectracomp. I haven't bothered to down-size.

It does classic "squash" or TC's multi-band compression, or both at the same time + visual metering ~ which I really like a lot. (Another reason why I probably won't get a Spectracomp).

Anyway, a few years' back a Bassist said during an interview that he used his NDY-1 at the 'end' of his effects chain, which sounded odd to me as I'd always used a compressor at the front end, but wasn't totally happy "squashing" the life out of my Bass sound before it had even affected the chain. I switched it to the back end, and it's been there ever since.

Horses for courses I guess? :unsure:

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1510247245' post='3405009']
There's also an argument that compression is needed less when playing in passive than active mode.
[/quote]

I've not heard the argument that compression is needed less when playing in passive than active before. And I'm not sure that I agree with that, although admittedly I don't know the detail of the arguments either way.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1510247245' post='3405009']
Like Funkshui I like to have the freedom to play more loudly or quietly without a compressor unduly tying my hands.
[/quote]

If you've set it up sensibly you're hands aren't tied at all ;)
I use mine to tame the big peaks and generally even things out but I still have tons dynamic range for when I need it without any sonic compromises.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1510247536' post='3405016']
Yep the Muscle comp is the one i use already and i too keep the knob under 11 o'clock. I do liek the top end boost, although it can be a bit harsh when i kick in a dirty tone. Just have ot back the top off on the amp though.
[/quote]

Definitely, too much top end into a drive pedal sounds horrendous on bass!

Lots of great points here - I would add that compressors were originally designed, and IMO are best seen as problem-solving devices. Are the peaks too loud? Does the sustained note die too quickly? does the initial attack of the note need more definition? Do you want similar volume when slapping vs playing with fingers? is the playing somewhat uneven? do the low notes overpower the higher notes?

If so, a compressor may help.

A compressor may even *purposefully* colour the sound - e.g. 1176-style compression (like a Cali), or perhaps a tube compressor.

Where it gets complicated is the different types of circuits and setting the parameters.... but I'd say if you can't hear a problem, and aren't looking for specific compressor colour, leave it off.

p.s. Ovnilab is indeed a superb resource.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1510254407' post='3405124']
I've not heard the argument that compression is needed less when playing in passive than active before. And I'm not sure that I agree with that, although admittedly I don't know the detail of the arguments either way.
[/quote]
I suppose one could make an argument that active circuits buffer and feed a lower impedance signal downstream, which better preserves transients (signal spikes). If you then add active pickups to the mix, which normally have weaker magnets (with less deadening magnetic pull on strings) but have their own amplifier circuits, that would further increase the available dynamic range.... more dynamic range = arguably greater need for compression.

Entirely passive circuits may be more naturally 'lossy', albeit, perhaps in a rounded and musical way.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1510229502' post='3404760']
I know what compressors are supposed to do, it's just, maybe in my case, they don't seem to do a lot, once the overall volume is set the same.
Initially I think wow that sounds better, punchier, but then I realise it's just louder.
[/quote]

I had a limiter like that. However I turned the knobs, I couldn't hear any difference.

Edited by gjones

I use one as I find it gives a more even volume over the 4 strings. But, if I don't have compression then it's not a huge deal for me. In fact, unless I was using the one in my multifx, then I wouldn't be getting a separate one.

I would hazard a guess alot of bass players are similar to op and use one because that's what bass players are 'meant to do', rather than using one because they think it makes a difference.

I used to think same as OP that compressors didn't really do much to what i was hearing but i always liked the idea of very slight control on top and bottom levels of my sound but just couldn't find one that was first of all easy to understand and secondly one that actually worked for me.
Then i came across a review on the Aphex Compressor and it had a DRIVE control that you simply dial in how much compression you want and the led lights when its actually working so its very easy to find that minimal compression point and the 2nd control is LEVEL that i set so that the volume from the pedal is exact same as when pedal is switched off.

So for me the compression is very slight and most people would never know it was there but i can hear the very slight change between using it and not using it.
Whether it tightens up my tone or not i'm not sure but i like the attack of occassionally hitting the strings hard but want the volume to stay almost the same or within a controlled level if that makes sense.

Have to say mine is in better condition than the one in this photo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by dmccombe7