Why become a member? ×

Would this pickup arrangement work?

uk_lefty

Am thinking of having a bass made once I get enough stuff sold... I fancy having a jazz pickup at the bridge in the 70's position and a humbucker in either the mm or the p position.
You don't see many basses like that, so just wondering what the barriers are? Is it just a stupid idea?

I think there's just about enough room with the humbucker in the mm position and obviously plenty of room with it in the p position (referring to a pic I found online)

http://images.talkbass.com/attachments/untitled-1copy-jpg.1514186/

but as to how they sound in combination...

Now I may be told that I am stupid, but it could work if you make sure that each of the single coils can be wired separately as well as together so.....

Bridge pup linked to neck side Humbucker coil, linked to bridge side humbucker coil as well as bigge together, and series and parallel.
I am sure something like this could be done with a 4 way DPDT switch.

That would give you an interesting array of tones.

With the 70s position in the bridge being closer to the bridge on the bass compared to the 60s position it should fit.

It’s just making sure it’s phased correctly and not overpowering each other

[quote name='El_JimBob' timestamp='1510221807' post='3404680']
Perhaps for elegance and aesthetics' sake, something like [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuhlWTD1htQ"]THIS[/url] from Haeussel...
[/quote]

That‘s very impressive on a fretless. Close to Jaco‘s and Pino‘s sounds in one instrument.