Why become a member? ×

Another History Lesson

blue

For those with an interest and have an hour to burn.

https://youtu.be/-_Ku1Q7pplg

This is a multi billed show that took place somewhere in Germany in on June 24th 1966.Seems more like 65 to me.

I find it fasinating for a host of reasons.

If anyone has any tid bits on The Rattles or Cliff Bennett please share.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1510180452' post='3404559'][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If anyone has any tid bits on The Rattles or Cliff Bennett please share.[/font][/color][/quote]

I don't think they much of an impact on your side of the pond, but about ten years later, Chas Hodges, Dave Peacock and [font=sans-serif]Mick Burt[/font] of [i]Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers[/i] went on to be[i] Chas 'n' Dave[/i] together

Rabbit, rabbit... :)

Edited by cybertect

Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers was one of the many British soul bands playing the clubs in the 60's. Along with Jimmy James and the Vagabonds, Geno Washington, Zoot Money and Herbie Goins etc. These were high energy Ike Turner type bands (without Tina) playing James Brown, Stax, Atlantic and some New Orleans music. It was always a great night when you went to see one of these bands.

Cliff was different in that he had at least one hit with a Beatles song, Got To Get You Into My Life, I believe. I think I've got the 45 somewhere.

Cliffs organist was Roy Young who fronted his own band in the early 70's.

[url="http://www.rattles.de"]http://www.rattles.de[/url]

[url="https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rattles"]https://de.wikipedia...iki/The_Rattles[/url]

They had a few hits in the 70s and since then changed musicians a lot. They still seem to exist. I mixed one of their shows back in the 90s. I thought their musicianship was quite ok, with a tight rythm section. One could hear their many gigs and experience

Edited by jensenmann

Cliff Bennett and The Rebel Rousers were a great band but never really hit the big time. There is a compilation of their work "At Abbey Road - 1963-1969".

The Rattles were a German group formed in the early 60s in Hamburg. Somewhere I have their single "Bye Bye Johnny" which was sung in Germinglish. Very entertaining.

Another band you might like to check out from the mid-60s Merseybeat era are "The Rockin' Vickers" who featured amongst number a young Lemmy Kilminster on guitar who went on to much greater things.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1510247563' post='3405018']

I don't think they much of an impact on your side of the pond, but about ten years later, Chas Hodges, Dave Peacock and [font=sans-serif]Mick Burt[/font] of [i]Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers[/i] went on to be[i] Chas 'n' Dave[/i] together

Rabbit, rabbit... :)
[/quote]

Thanks Cybertect.

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1510250269' post='3405056']
Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers was one of the many British soul bands playing the clubs in the 60's. Along with Jimmy James and the Vagabonds, Geno Washington, Zoot Money and Herbie Goins etc. These were high energy Ike Turner type bands (without Tina) playing James Brown, Stax, Atlantic and some New Orleans music. It was always a great night when you went to see one of these bands.

Cliff was different in that he had at least one hit with a Beatles song, Got To Get You Into My Life, I believe. I think I've got the 45 somewhere.

Cliffs organist was Roy Young who fronted his own band in the early 70's.
[/quote]

Thanks Chris,

Awesome, I thought these guys had a very strong authentic R&B groove, really enjoyed Roy.

Blue

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1510251163' post='3405066']
Cliff Bennett and The Rebel Rousers were a great band but never really hit the big time. There is a compilation of their work "At Abbey Road - 1963-1969".

The Rattles were a German group formed in the early 60s in Hamburg. Somewhere I have their single "Bye Bye Johnny" which was sung in Germinglish. Very entertaining.

Another band you might like to check out from the mid-60s Merseybeat era are "The Rockin' Vickers" who featured amongst number a young Lemmy Kilminster on guitar who went on to much greater things.
[/quote]

Thanks Obbm,

I'll check out The Rockin Vickers.

I love this stuff.

Blue

[quote name='jensenmann' timestamp='1510250689' post='3405060']
[url="http://www.rattles.de"]http://www.rattles.de[/url]

[url="https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rattles"]https://de.wikipedia...iki/The_Rattles[/url]

They had a few hits in the 70s and since then changed musicians a lot. They still seem to exist. I mixed one of their shows back in the 90s. I thought their musicianship was quite ok, with a tight rythm section. One could hear their many gigs and experience
[/quote]

Jensenmann,

Definitely tight. These guys were obviously committed to their groove.

Blue

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1510261685' post='3405202']
I sped through this, but it was cool to see the Beatles as just another band at the gig. [/quote]

I know, that's what I thought too.

Weren't The Beatles already internationally famous at this time?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1510262382' post='3405206']

I know, that's what I thought too.

Weren't The Beatles already internationally famous at this time?

Blue
[/quote]

My mum saw them a couple of times at the height of Beatlemania,from what she's told me , at that point in their career, I think they usually played for less than half an hour at the top of a four or five band line up.

They also sometimes did two gigs a day in the same city,a matinée and an evening performance.

This German concert was recorded during their Germany, Japan and Phillipines tour. They then went on to the USA for their final tour there and the famous Shea Stadium show in NYC. I think it's fair to say that they were internationally famous by June 1966.

I first saw them in Guildford in June 1963 and then at their annual Xmas shows in London - 1963, 1964 and 1965. The memories of those shows has long faded apart from the incessant screaming.

I gigged at the Dorothy Ballroom in Cambridge with Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers a number of times. Most memorable night was when we were all fooling around before showtime and one of the sax players took a header into one of my knees and broke his glasses in half. Just as well they werent reading their parts!

Nice guys.

Also had a decent sized hit with "one way love".
Just looked them up on Wiki & saw that that sax player - Sid Phillips - had died a couple of years ago.

Damn! Just followed another link and discovered that our old drummer Rick Winters played drums for a later incarnation of Cliffs Band! Small world.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1510264144' post='3405230']
This German concert was recorded during their Germany, Japan and Phillipines tour. They then went on to the USA for their final tour there and the famous Shea Stadium show in NYC. I think it's fair to say that they were internationally famous by June 1966.

I first saw them in Guildford in June 1963 and then at their annual Xmas shows in London - 1963, 1964 and 1965. The memories of those shows has long faded apart from the incessant screaming.
[/quote]

My Dad took me to the Shea show. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1510268131' post='3405273']
I gigged at the Dorothy Ballroom in Cambridge with Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers a number of times. Most memorable night was when we were all fooling around before showtime and one of the sax players took a header into one of my knees and broke his glasses in half. Just as well they werent reading their parts!

Nice guys.

Also had a decent sized hit with "one way love".
Just looked them up on Wiki & saw that that sax player - Sid Phillips - had died a couple of years ago.

Damn! Just followed another link and discovered that our old drummer Rick Winters played drums for a later incarnation of Cliffs Band! Small world.
[/quote]

Wow! awesome story.

Blue