Why become a member? ×

NBD Gibson new old stock

Grahambythesea

I know ther's not a lot of love for Gibson basses here as there is a preference for 50's designs from Fullerton ! However arrived today is this Gibson EB 5 string, brand new but the 2013 model and a price lower than some Far Eastern made basses.

Straight out the box and really super cream lined hard case, nicely set up and nothing to do but tune it!
Natural body with the tortoiseshell pick guard looks good IMHO and perhaps retro. Gibson say it draws on the EBO (SG) bass, and I've read others think it nods towards the Mosrite. Hangs well on the strap and weighs only 3.4kg. (A lightweight was a key requirement since trading my 5 string Fender Jazz on here a couple of years ago which was just too heavy).

Set neck, Grover tuners, Babicz bridge - it feels quality and the pickups sound good and are balanced across all the strings, plus pull pots change them to single coils which have a definite J bass sound. You can get a good growl out it as well as a traditional thump. Quite a variety for a passive bass. I think this will be a fun instrument.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Grahambythesea

Yeah, I liked these basses, can’t believe they weren’t more successful.

As ever, not an overnight success and people were getting used to them when Gibson (marketing genius’ obvs) put an Inlay on every model rather than just making a commemorative model and sales for the year dropped off a cliff face (not just the EB).

So they scrapped it and brought out the ESP beginner bass lookalike version out.

I love their instruments, but my god they’re morons.

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1510257723' post='3405161']

Ah, very nice. Future classic there I think.
[/quote]I t would be nice to think so, though I'm not sure it will happen in my lifetime! LOL Cuious how many guitars Gibson have in the past stopped making which then become classics. The Les Paul being the most obvious case in point, EBO/3 another. Is it a case of "absence makes the heart grow fonder"?

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1510168990' post='3404475']
Yeah, I liked these basses, can't believe they weren't more successful.

As ever, not an overnight success and people were getting used to them when Gibson (marketing genius' obvs) put an Inlay on every model rather than just making a commemorative model and sales for the year dropped off a cliff face (not just the EB).

So they scrapped it and brought out the ESP beginner bass lookalike version out.

I love their instruments, but my god they're morons.
[/quote]

^ +1! I really feel like they missed a trick by not making more of these. We opened for a band in Derby a whose bassist had one; sounded superb and looked the business.