Why become a member? ×

Set Up Time

cheddatom

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1510060108' post='3403599']
It takes "me" about 5 minutes to set up - one speaker on top of the other, amp on top, pedal board (battery powered) on the floor, plug everything in...

It then takes me anything up to an hour to set the PA up, because most of the rest of the band "don't understand that technical stuff", so I've volunteered to do it. The PA is spread among the band for storage, so we usually have a mixture of band members arriving late with their designated bits of kit, and one or more of "I've forgotten my mic stand", "Have you got a spare mic cable?", "Have you got a spare mic?", "Has anyone got a mains extension"...

To be fair things have got a bit more slick of late, but (bearing in mind that I don't sing) there was a time when I was routinely taking 2 mics and mic stands to every gig just in case!

Even though the agreement is that people bring their own mic and instrument cables I still bring enough to cover everyone, and I quite often end up using mine as I get fed up waiting for people to get the knots out of theirs, which they've hastily stuffed into their bags at the end of the last gig rather than coiling up in a nice neat OCD fashion as I would. Which brings me on to the time spent to pack up, which usually extends to the following morning for me, when I get up and re-coil all the cables that my band mates have packed up for me!

Ooh, that ended up a bit cathartic!

And don't get me started on the lights - I move on to setting them up when the PA's done...
[/quote]

I feel like we may be kindred spirits...

I play in two five piece bands and it's an hour set up for both from arrival to first song.
Seems reasonable enough.
One of the thin stringer chaps sets up quickly and plays constantly through the remaining set up time. A total PITA

Edited by NoRhino

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1510062752' post='3403638']
Pet hate is a drummer that very slowly and deliberately takes at least an hour to set up his kit. WTF?? I wouldn't mind so much, but it's inevitably impossible to set up yourself as he will also strew his cases and boxes over the WHOLE stage area. :(
[/quote]This is why I like to get there early and set my gear up, I then stay well away from all the drum cases until the drummers ready. ;)

Does it really matter how long it takes as long you've set up in time?
Most of our gigs are a 9pm start and we always get there at 7pm and share out the duties at a steady pace. We chat and have a beer while setting up and have it all done for 830 when punters start drifting in.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1510075798' post='3403807']
Is your drum kit carried in pro flight cases, if so it would take well over 5 minutes just to take the full kit, stands and cymbals out of them before actually putting the kit together.
[/quote]

Yes, and no. I'll be generous and maybe give you the five minutes, but really, no more. My drums are well cosy in their 'pro' soft cases, opened with a simple zip, the cymbals are in their flight case which only requires unlatching, and my stands are pre-set, fully positioned and ready to go; they're never folded away (that [i]would [/i]take a day or so..!) :lol:. So five minutes, on my own, but I've other helping hands in the singster and our bass player, our youngest. The cases don't take up much space, either, as they're 'Russian dolled' as and when they're emptied. It's just a matter of being organised, and having willing partners in crime. B)

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1510060108' post='3403599']
It takes "me" about 5 minutes to set up - one speaker on top of the other, amp on top, pedal board (battery powered) on the floor, plug everything in...

It then takes me anything up to an hour to set the PA up, because most of the rest of the band "don't understand that technical stuff", so I've volunteered to do it. The PA is spread among the band for storage, so we usually have a mixture of band members arriving late with their designated bits of kit, and one or more of "I've forgotten my mic stand", "Have you got a spare mic cable?", "Have you got a spare mic?", "Has anyone got a mains extension"...

To be fair things have got a bit more slick of late, but (bearing in mind that I don't sing) there was a time when I was routinely taking 2 mics and mic stands to every gig just in case!

Even though the agreement is that people bring their own mic and instrument cables I still bring enough to cover everyone, and I quite often end up using mine as I get fed up waiting for people to get the knots out of theirs, which they've hastily stuffed into their bags at the end of the last gig rather than coiling up in a nice neat OCD fashion as I would. Which brings me on to the time spent to pack up, which usually extends to the following morning for me, when I get up and re-coil all the cables that my band mates have packed up for me!

Ooh, that ended up a bit cathartic!

And don't get me started on the lights - I move on to setting them up when the PA's done...
[/quote]

I've done the PA - for similar reasons to you - in several bands but not any more. It used to stress me out so much that it sucked all the fun out of playing. The singer was close to being taken outside and beaten on several occasions :lol: Even though I know more about it than than the guy doing it in our current band I just keep my mouth shut.

So to answer the OP's question... stroll in and set up in about 5 mins. Bliss!!!

My band's setup time is nearly always five minutes longer than needed for a 9pm start.

So if we arrive at 7.30 pm we'll be ready at 9.05, if we arrive at 8pm we'll be ready at 9.05, some band members just use whatever time we have to faff around instead of getting the job done.

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1510132985' post='3404124']
My band's setup time is nearly always five minutes longer than needed for a 9pm start.

So if we arrive at 7.30 pm we'll be ready at 9.05, if we arrive at 8pm we'll be ready at 9.05, some band members just use whatever time we have to faff around instead of getting the job done.
[/quote]

Yep, work expands etc etc. :D

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1510093159' post='3404014']
Does it really matter how long it takes as long you've set up in time?
Most of our gigs are a 9pm start and we always get there at 7pm and share out the duties at a steady pace. We chat and have a beer while setting up and have it all done for 830 when punters start drifting in.
[/quote]
Our regular pub gig always has sport on the tv before the gig, football always over runs leaving us about half an hour to set up including moving the gormless people standing in the way watching the tv to watch all the analysis rubbish after!

If I was the landlord I'd turn it off as soon as the final whistle blew, they never stay for the music as that's a fresh sober batch of people who start to arrive later.

Takes me about 5 minutes to be tuned and ready to go. But I have to wait for the drummer to set his mat, help with erecting the the banner, mount the lights, and the PA before I start. If the stage doesn't require us to really think about how we are going to fit it all in about 45 mins from shaking hands with the LL to soundcheck.

I've scaled back quite on how much gear I bring to a gig.

Small but heavy GK RBX 2x10 cab, 750 watt GK head, pedal board, and 1 bass (actually 2, but one stays in my car, strickly a back up).

Initial set up takes 10-15 minutes. Now, tweaking my problematic pedal board is what takes up time for me.

Blue

Personally - I can be done in 5 mins including loading my gear in! Cab(s), head, rack tuner/wireless. However, If guitard #1 turns up late the rest of us can set up everything in about 45 mins including the load in, kit, PA and lights! If he's on time, about double as he just seems to leave everything everywhere and the rest of us roll our eyes whilst we work around his ensuing spatial carnage!

Edited by DaytonaRik

We used to do pubs taking our own lighting and PA, and in that situation we'd be soundchecked and ready within 45 minutes of arriving at the pub.

When I said 5 minutes for my kit I'm talking about multi-band bills where you're supposed to have quick turnarounds. I prefer to skip soundcheck at these types of gigs as more often than not the "headliner" will overrun on their check and none of the other bands get chance.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1510075798' post='3403807']
Is your drum kit carried in pro flight cases, if so it would take well over 5 minutes just to take the full kit, stands and cymbals out of them before actually putting the kit together.
[/quote]

I have soft cases. Unzip the case, take the drum out, put it where you want it - about 20 seconds! Multiply by 4 and this is not the most time consuming operation

For my own gear I'll generally take about 45 minutes.
5 minutes load in.
8 minutes to stack up my cabs and amp head, connect speaker cables, run out extension leads and connect the power, put my (3) basses on their stand and find somewhere out of the way to put their cases.
30 minutes waiting for the drummer to move his drum cases and cymbal stands out of the spot where I'll be standing when we play.
3 minutes to then position my mic stand and pedal board in said spot, plug in guitar cables and sort out my IEMs.

To be fair though that 30 minutes does come in handy. It means I have half an hour to chat to the guitarist about how annoying it is when our drummer leaves his cases and stands all over the stage.

I spend a lot more time than necessary if i count the singer not helping anybody, just making small talk leaning over the bar and the guitarrist only stting up his own gear and spending the rest of the time messing with knobs and pedals looking for his tone...

In the worst case scenario we show up to the venue, almost allways me and drummer first, we unload the van, drummer goes on setting up his kit while i set up my bass kit in 5 minutes (bass, pedalboard, cab, amp, mic, mic stand, cables...) and then procced to to setting up the PA. After removing the drummer's stick bag, cymbals bag and seat from the way a million times so i can pass cables behind the drum kit i end up helping him hooking up his cables to the mixer and start sounchecking the drum and bass. By this time the guitarrist already has his gear setup and i have to ask him to stop making noise so i can souncheck the drum. During this the singer plugs in his mic, stand and guitar gear and finaly i can soundcheck everybody. This can take up to an hour or more if we have some technical problems to solve. After this we go to heve dinner without the singer plugging in his monitor that's still sitting inside the van... :D

There are times when we're in a hurry and everybody chips in to help out with the setup, in those days we can take care of everything in less than half an hour. For me the main factors that delay assembly are the drummer's bags spread all over the stage (i've come to hate sticks bags so much.... argh!!!! ) that we need to be constantly moving and the rest of the band not helping, sometimes.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1510198995' post='3404603']
The drummer, who I used to play with, had severe OCD. It took me years to figure out why it took him 2 hours to pack his kit up at the end of the night.
[/quote]

I've been there. But he was great drummer and nice guy.

Blue

About 45-60 minutes for us. That's for the PA, monitors, drums, pedalboards and back line. The bass side of things is 10 mins tops and most of that is spent trying to balance my BF midget on a very portable but infuriatingly fiddly stand for personal monitoring.

I find setting up a bit like doing an exam. Intense concentration against the clock. I like to have enough time to chill for 20 mins before playing, but that's not always the case and it can take a few songs to shake off the stress of set up and switch in to playing mode.

Everyone chips in during the setup, but its usually me and the guitarist doing the teardown while the drummer tends to his kit and the singer chats to the punters. We tolerate this because he's great with the crowd and the chat quite often leads to cards being given out and enquiries for more gigs.

Edited by mingsta

What is it with people insisting on noodling away during set up? It gives such an unprofessional impression. All the bands I play in do things the same. Set up, sound check, switch off until we're ready to start. No unnecessary noodling. Same in the classical world. No noodling, no noise apart from tuning.