Why become a member? ×

Great gear you've moved on and wished you hadn't?

Al Krow

Apologies about talking about cheese graters but I had a lovely very early JJ jewel which I unfortunately snapped. It was too nice a guitar for use in a secondary school classroom so I got a Mexican tele, previously relic’d in a very amateurish fashion by the prior teenage owner. When one of my year groups left they clubbed together and bought me a set of bare knuckle pickups. Unfortunately we had to move quickly after some harassment from the neighbours and I needed to raise some cash. Sold it for what I bought it for, then it turns out it was a baja and worth twice what I sold it for. Face plant!

On 07/11/2017 at 10:37, Bigwan said:

Ashdown LB30, and a CTM30...
Orange Terror Bass 500, 3 times...
Tech Soundsystems 4x12. Best bass cab I've owned, lightweight but BIG. My knuckles thank me every day though...
An abused '83 Squier SQ P bass. One of the best P basses I've owned. Bought for buttons too...
'83 Wal Mk1. Not really my thing, but it'd be worth a fortune now!
Line 6 Studio 110. Great little thing to have around the house.

Have got the Terror 500 and matching 2x10 and 2x12  cabs. What an awesome sound, and not a back breaker to get in and out the car either!

Wouldn't part with it for the world now.  

On the other hand, wish I'd never got rid of my westone thunder III back in the mid '90s though.........😢😢

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That is big hair!

Do you mean you don't remember what happened to the gig or the bass?

I don't remember the gig, I know the pic was taken in 1969.

I don't remember what happened to the bass. I might have traded it for a 1957 pre CBS Fender P.

Blue

11 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Well, that is what they say about the 60s - if you were there you can't remember it.  Although as time progresses it is probably more to do with dementia than drugs.

Yeah, I was a good boy. Drugs were one part of the 60s I stayed away from. I didn't want anything to spoil all the fun.

Blue

A pre-EB Stingray that I picked up for £250 in a shop called Back Street Music in Edinburgh in 1981. The pickup was way out of alignment (no idea how it got through quality control!) but I had it messed about with over the next few years - refinished in white, scratchplate replaced with a little chrome ring round the pickup, Schaller bridge, brass nut. It was far from 'original' but it sang and played like no other bass I'd owned! Foolishly, I sold it when I couldn't make the rent just before Christmas 1985. I still have a copy of the receipt I gave the buyer - Phil Winter of Holdenhurst Avenue, Finchley N12. God knows where he (or the bass) are now, but I'd love to get it back. If anyone sees it, do let me know....

WhitePEBStingray2.thumb.jpg.d1b46bbd175c7c91945c7113570ef177.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

... just before Christmas 1985 ... Phil Winter of Holdenhurst Avenue, Finchley N12. God knows where he (or the bass) are now ...

Going by the comments on http://funderglass.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/lethal-poor-trancefloor.html - that could be the Phil Winter who now plays with Tunng: http://www.tunng.co.uk/

On 12/17/2017 at 23:46, atsampson said:

Going by the comments on http://funderglass.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/lethal-poor-trancefloor.html - that could be the Phil Winter who now plays with Tunng: http://www.tunng.co.uk/

Thanks for taking the time to search for that. I did track Phil Winter's name down to Tunng a year or two ago - I wasn't sure if it was the same man, and I sent a message through their website, but never received a reply.

Edited by lowregisterhead

On 12/18/2017 at 00:57, Steve Browning said:

Two basses for me;

1953 Precision - serial number 0189. It was in excellent condition (it's in the Haynes Fender Bass manual), and

1966 Slab Precision - I had no idea how rare these were at the time and it was also a fantastic bass for recording.

I love my slab P. It's been dropped a dozen times. It's indestructible 

Blue

IMG_20161012_154327.jpg