Why become a member? ×

Great gear you've moved on and wished you hadn't?

Al Krow

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1510081103' post='3403870']
My orange rig , to heavy but would have been a great ornament
[/quote]

I had an old Orange head (just like The Donald) that I'd like to have again although it was very heavy, and very loud. Got rid of it to get what turned out to be a really nasty sounding Carlbro Cobra 90 combo- which I strangely kept for 20 years :mellow: - [quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1510083249' post='3403898']
An almost brand new 2008 P bass in black and maple ..

[/quote]

I think I saw that during one of our transactions? It lay in it's case like a holy relic, radiating it's loveliness.. or something :D :gas:

• Haha 1

UPDATE
Some really interesting posts already and clearly loves lost (or stolen) are the ones that leave the biggest regrets. Now if there are any stories around why these bits of gear were so particularly good / what you used them for and what made you move them on that would be just great to hear!

Edited by Al Krow

I had a Trace Elliot AH400SMX head that I sold about 12 years ago and really missed ever since. This was made worse because I hated the Ashdown head that replaced it.

Forward to earlier this year and I picked up another SMX head (an AH350 this time though) and absolutely loved having one again.
Ironically though I picked up another Ashdown head just over a month ago intending to use it as a backup but it turns out I now prefer the Ashdown to the Trace Elliot!
I'm hoping to hang onto the Trace this time though so I don't end up suffering the same regret again.

The was a slightly ironic story to selling the orange head, and the weighty 4x12 fake Marshall cab I had, to a mate when I switched to Bass - he then recruited me as bass player for his band and as he was carless and lazy, I still ended up carting it around half the time, as well as a Peavey TNT 150 that felt like someone had filled it with concrete.

Lightweight gear is one of the wonders of the 21st century.

Had a think bout this,,had a fair few bits of gear over my career, would love back my Trace Elliot 4x10 smx 12 band combo,,prob could get one again,but guess speakers would be tired and stuff,,with the Warwick I had at the time in the venues I was playing,,had a great punch,,in fact didn’t realise how hard it was to get a great sound till after it had gone,,was never an issue before..my SWR Original Redhead came kinda close,,,but, if could turn back time...

At some point I sold my Trace SMX600 + 2x Boogie 2x10" rig for money reason, but it´s back here now. Hopefully I don´t have to part with it again.
Last week I bought a Peavey Alpha Tube Bass Preamp. Around 1990 it was part of my first serious bass rig, together with a Peavey CS800 poweramp. I have a different poweramp now (KMT DC5), but I still like the preamp a lot. I can clearly understand why I bought it back then.
The one thing that bugs me the most amongst all the gear I sold is my ´64 Gibson Thunderbird IV in metallic green which was a custom colour. Damned, I miss that bass so much.

[quote name='Toddy17' timestamp='1510247487' post='3405014']
Had a think bout this,,had a fair few bits of gear over my career, would love back my Trace Elliot 4x10 smx 12 band combo,,prob could get one again,but guess speakers would be tired and stuff,,with the Warwick I had at the time in the venues I was playing,,had a great punch,,in fact didn't realise how hard it was to get a great sound till after it had gone,,was never an issue before..my SWR Original Redhead came kinda close,,,but, if could turn back time...
[/quote]

Hey Toddy17 if that was your first post on BC, I'd just like to say on behalf of the community, 'welcome!'

Just about everything I ever sold. So now I rarely sell anything unless I'm 100% certain.

Some that come to mind are an early early 70s Marshall 50w lead head, early 70s P Bass, '71 Strat and (can't remember the year) EB3.

Another thread could be "gear I could have bought for a great price but didn't"

I sold I think it was a Marshall JMP super bass amp head I was told it was a late 60’s/early 70’s model and it had a 4 x 12” Trace Elliot cab with it for £150 when I was about 17 which I deeply regret proper dumbass move on my part 

It looked like this one but in slightly worse conditionDDCB6E08-2251-4670-AFEE-2F2B55AA2B0B.jpeg.df6c751123a759b836866c8cc69c2155.jpeg

Well with just two weeks of the year left, I've had to update my biggest regret in the OP.

@Lozz196 I'm now bereft of a P-Bass, not much point really in me continuing as a bass player until that is rectified, is there? :facepalm:

Who invented the one in one out rule 'cos 5 basses is plenty anyway?! I defo shouldn't have taken that advice! :) 

Way back at the end of the seventies I ran out of money for a deposit on a house (we got gazzumped and had to up the offer).  I traded down my gear so I sold a 1970 Jazz Bazz, a 1969 Gibson 335 and 150 watt Orange amp with a 4x12 speaker.  Periodically I weep when I see modern prices.

In the same boat as @machinehead and @radiophonic with Wal regret. Sold my JG custom back in 1990 for £250 + a beat up SG. Couple of year back the Wal owners page told me it was one of the first 47 built. In all honesty it's a monetary regret as it was more bass than I needed. One regret that still smarts was selling a lovely violet quilt Peavey Millennium BXP.Replaced it with a highly rated (by Americans) US Millennium. Not a good move. Don't see the point of 35" scale for 4 strings,never use the much hyped "sweepable mids" and it was a dark graphite colour :(

1 hour ago, oggiesnr said:

Way back at the end of the seventies I ran out of money for a deposit on a house (we got gazzumped and had to up the offer).  I traded down my gear so I sold a 1970 Jazz Bazz, a 1969 Gibson 335 and 150 watt Orange amp with a 4x12 speaker.  Periodically I weep when I see modern prices.

Yeh...but you can make everyone else weep when you let them know what you paid for your house back at the end of the 70s! :) 

• Like 1

Sold my white Ibanez 12 / 6 EDS1275 copy. I was poor, It was what I had and my girlfriend went and spent the rent money. Got next to nothing for it. Would love one, haven't seen one for a very long time.

True to say, it did weigh a ton, and the switching was stupid but I still loved it