Why become a member? ×

Great gear you've moved on and wished you hadn't?

Al Krow

Well I`ve hopefully learned from it, but I sold an Ashdown ABM 410 & 210, only to realise they were what worked best for me, so have bought the same again. Likewise I had a Mex Precision as backup, sold it, realised the error of my ways so bought another. Recently been trying to sort the best backup amp head, think I`m there but...................

Edit - it finally hit me, I had the best backup amp for my needs, an Ashdown Rootmaster 500, so yep, I`ve gone and got another on the way. When will I learn, I had exactly all the right gear in January for my needs, now got a ton - literally I reckon - of stuff to move on.

Edited by Lozz196

I am tempted to say my old Orange valve head (guitar, not bass), but it was heavy (in weight) and only did one sound, so I'm not sure I really would have it back.

I sold my first "proper" guitar, a nice white Ibanez Les Paul copy, and spent 30 years not finding anything I liked as much, until I bought a PRS earlier this year.

I wish I had kept my MarkBass Traveler 102p cab, I kept the 151 instead and I like it but the 102 was so light and good enough for pretty much anything.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1510059365' post='3403587'] A very early 1983 JV 57P - traded against a 'proper' US Jazz A mint fretless Westone Thunder 3 - traded against an Ibanez geetar And I'm sure at some point I'll regret letting go of my Status Streamline...... [/quote]

I also regretted selling my Thunder 3 fretless but was fortunate enough to pick up another equally good example a few years ago

The only bass that I regret moving on was my Roscoe Beck. It was perfect tone-wise, but I never really got on with the jazz with neck. My very first bass, a Yammy BB300 would be nice to still have, but that’s just sentimentality. The only instrument I should never have sold was my Yammy SA2000. I sold it because I was on a country music kick and wanted a Telecaster. Only thing was I ended up swapping it for an Ibanez Roadstar Strat-alike. Stupid! Stupid GAS! Backline-wise, my bass rigs have all been a move towards what I have now, so no regrets there. Again, it is the guitar world that has the backline regret, I had a Fender Studio 70 (I think), transistor combo, that sounded absolutely great and I can’t even remember why I moved it on; valve GAS probably.

I had a Squier Silver Series Precision that was fabulous. Lightweight and THE most incredible organic tone. Moved it on when I went through a phase of active basses. Now I've got a brace of JVs that have a better fit and finish but the tone on that Silver Series was something special. Hey ho. And, to be fair, it would only be sitting in the case like my other 4 strings.

The biggest one I regret getting rid of was my old 4003.

Regret selling a couple of guitars, there was a 1979 Ibanez Artist 2619 that was gorgeous and sounded superb, and then there was my old MIJ Tokai Love Rock (with the proper "open book" headstock), swapped the original pickups for a set of BKP Emerald's, and it not only played superbly, but sounded fantastic too.

Also regret selling my old Westone Thunder 1A, it weighed a ton, but sounded immense.

Edited by Skybone

I built my ultimate Jaco relic. a 1960 nitro finish jazz (absolutely smashed and previously owned by Fender expert Barry Matthews and played by John Entwistle) matched with a vintage Fender neck that had the fretboard replaced with a non-lined ebony board. All that was done for legendary session bassist Dave Markee. Added some Wizard pickups and it was amazing.

Sold it for a little over £1000 I think. Still miss that.

Many years ago it was an Orange 120 head and matching 4 x 12 cab. It was stonking. I was young and stupid and traded it because it was making some strange noises. It was probably only a valve. My traded combo eventually blew up. Guess he saw me coming.

My Matamp 6×10, I won't say it's really a regret as it was heavy, but now I've got the head I'd like to be able to run it through the cab just to see... (I could have bought another but I paid such a good price for the one I had direct from Matamp that I begrudge paying a damn sight more for a second-hand one).

I've sold lots of musical equipment. Some of it would be very desirable these days and most likely command a much higher price than the one I got at the time of selling.

However the gear I sold was sitting unused, and the gear I have now is, for my needs, superior in every way.

I have no regrets.

A 79 4001 and a mid-70s (I cared so little about gear then I never found out what year it was) Precision, both of which went in the mid-80s for less than £200. I woudn't want them to play (certainly not the Ric), but just for the investment value lost...

I still hanker after a Roland D-bass rig, too: I liked my 115 and 115x, although strictly speaking they were stolen, rather than sold...

Other than that, I've been fine with pretty much all of the vast amount of stuff I've had and sold on in the last few years...maybe the Overwater Perception I bought, sold, bought and sold again...oh no, hang on: I sold a green Shuker Horn I'd love back, but the last time I saw it on sale it had acquired about £600 onto its price tag, so maybe not... :( :)

Edited by Muzz