Why become a member? ×

High End Cables

Yank

11 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

As I've said before the cables can't 'add' anything,  there's no debate/discussion to be had,  if the silver cables make it sound smoother then they are removing something. 

Alternatively they could not be removing something that cheap cables do, but I have yet to be convinced. ;)

7 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I know it's tongue in cheek but that's still not adding anything. What would you know about cables anyway? :crazy:

My OBBM Speakon is still going strong after about 8 years :D

Terrible business model really, they only get replaced when they get lost or stolen!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

So...

If you go wireless, is sound reproduction more faithful when you wear a tin foil hat to contain your stray energetic thoughts about what to spend your next tax rebate on?

GASsing like a good 'un.

Wireless is ok but you need good clean air or the heft and smothness gets blocked,  Ace of Spades with a room full of smoke from grilling bacon sounds brilliant though!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Wireless is ok but you need good clean air or the heft and smothness gets blocked,  Ace of Spades with a room full of smoke from grilling bacon sounds brilliant though!

I find that just the right amount of dirt on the air delivers a fair amount of heft alright.  [A stifled fart murmurs gently behind the conversation].  Smoothness is not guaranteed using dirty air however.  An especially lumpy delivery could mean that you have to pick the bits out of it.

I run a stench filter on a foot pedal as a matter of routine.  I mean, you just don't know who's been pumping it out on stage before you do you?

6 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd click the Sad button but I don't want to be negative about it.  Crikey!  You must have cables everywhere by now.  How long have you been doing them?

Have a Thanks instead.

I started in 2004 after a post on Bassworld from someone asking how to connect two bits of kit together.  It's never really been more than a hobby and certainly not a full-time business.  I've just taken delivery of 400m of instrument cable and 100 Speakons so I won't stop yet.  As long as folk still want cables I'll carry on doing it. 

• Like 3

I need to admit that I have managed to damage one of my OBBM speaker cables. Some rather over-enthusiastic moving of my set up bass rig resulted in one of the heavy duty jack plugs being pushed against a wall and plug part is slightly bent with respect to the body. Of course it is still working fine, and as I'm about to sell the cab that it is needed for I don't think I'll bother to replace it.

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I need to admit that I have managed to damage one of my OBBM speaker cables. Some rather over-enthusiastic moving of my set up bass rig resulted in one of the heavy duty jack plugs being pushed against a wall and plug part is slightly bent with respect to the body. Of course it is still working fine, and as I'm about to sell the cab that it is needed for I don't think I'll bother to replace it.

How was the wall after the incident? :P

• Like 1

On 17 November 2017 at 08:54, Jack said:

Whilst I can't claim the same electrical knowledge as some of the sparkies in this thread I do know my science. Specifically, my job is to run workshops based on politics, science and skepticism.

Id wager that one of two things is happening here.

1. You said normal cables are harsh and yours are smooth. There is a possibility that (since cables are passive and can only take away from a signal) that the normal ones are full range and the silver ones have an in built or designed in imperfection that takes away some high end.

2. It's some combination of observer bias and confirmation bias. There wouldn't be a difference on a scope and you couldn't tell the difference in a double blind test.

You might be right Jack about my cables losing something that standard wires do not. I disagree that there is some confirmation bias, I want the best sound from my kit and I know I am getting it now. I can hear the difference. Nobody listens to music by looking at a scope screen. Even crazier is the concept of ABX swapping of cables. 

Simply put, if downgrading my cables would give me a better sound, I would downgrade in the morning.  And sell my cables on eBay.  Who wouldn't? For me I know that the cables in my system, and they are modestly priced especially when compared to Nordost or Kimber products,  are staying where they are. They work. They make my system sing. What is the problem then?

On 17/11/2017 at 10:37, stingrayPete1977 said:

Aha! I have been struggling to find a cable that really  nails that subtly different smoth that you get from grilled air rather than fried air!

Never thought of rubbing the cable in bacon fat! 

Genius....

• Haha 1

On 17/11/2017 at 09:21, BigRedX said:

Sometimes I wonder if the more we spend on playback equipment, the less we actually enjoy listening to the MUSIC?

I certainly appreciated the music a lot more when all I had to play it on was a second-hand Dansette which cost me the grand sum of £8 back in 1974. I wasn't particularly brilliant (the right channel was considerably quieter than the left which turn some stereo mixes from the 60s in instrumentals and wouldn't even entertain the possibility of playing anything with serious bass), but it did allow me to play my records in my own room, and not have to seek my parents' permission to use the record player in the lounge. 

This is almost certainly true. 

There’s also the factor that our tastes change and we are influenced by what we hear and become used to. 

In the old days, we didn’t know any different. High quality was expensive and fixed to your living room. Now high quality is inexpensive and available everywhere.

Certainly amongst ‘musicians’ there is a tendency for them to go see a band and critique the playing, the sound, the arrangement, the £60 eBay bass, while everyone else in the room is leaping about and having a great time. 

Yep, we lose focus on what is really important to most people.